Many Xbox One users are experiencing the same error: 0x80a40014. If you are one of them, try the following solutions to solve the problem.
Some users report that they get the message “Your account is locked” with error code 0x80a40014 on Xbox One. This error prevents them from accessing their account. To solve this problem, Techquack has put together some solutions in this post.
What causes the “Your account is blocked” error on Xbox
- Microsoft server issue: after researching previous cases of this problem, you may be seeing this error message due to a server-side issue that has caused entire blocks of Microsoft accounts to be blocked due to a false positive. In that case, you should acknowledge the problem and, if the problem does exist with core services, switch the console offline to use it (in single mode) until the problem is resolved by Microsoft engineers.
- Local Problem: As several affected users have confirmed, this particular problem may also be due to a locally stored cache file that causes the console operating system to believe that the current account is locked (even after the problem has been resolved). In this case, you can solve the problem by deleting the locally stored profile and turning on the device before rebooting the profile.
- Microsoft TOR violation: This particular error may also occur in cases where the Microsoft account owner has violated the TOR. In most cases, aggressive player behavior, hacking, or phishing will cause Microsoft to suspend the account without notice. If this scenario applies, the only reasonable recovery strategy would be to contact Microsoft support.
- Repeated failed login attempts: If the Microsoft account you use on your Xbox console has experienced multiple failed login attempts, Microsoft may have suspended your account for security reasons. In most cases, access will be automatically restored after 24 hours. However, if this is not the case, you should contact support to resolve the issue.
To resolve the “Your account is blocked” error on your Xbox
Make sure that the Xbox Live servers are connected to the network
Before proceeding with other fixes, the first thing to note is that due to server issues, Microsoft may block some accounts that display a false positive error.
To confirm that this is the case, visit Microsoft’s Xbox Live status site. The screenshot above shows that there are no problems with the Xbox Live servers. However, if you see a problem, it means that the problem is beyond your control.
All you can do is wait for Microsoft to fix the server problem. While you wait for the problem to be fixed, you can still enjoy your Xbox One by putting it in offline mode. In this mode, you won’t be able to enjoy multiplayer games, streaming, or accessing digital content.
See the solution below to learn how to enable offline mode.
Use your Xbox One in offline mode
- Turn on the console and open the Guides menu by pressing the Xbox button on the controller.
- From the Guides menu, go to Settings -> System -> Settings -> Network to open the Network menu.
- Then in the left pane, click on the Network Settings menu.
- Select Go offline, and then press the A button to activate the offline mode.
- When prompted to confirm the action, tap Yes.
- Restart the Xbox One console and the error Your account was locked 0x80a40014 Xbox will disappear.
Remove the profile and perform a power-off operation
- Turn the console on and re-open the Guides menu by pressing the Xbox button on the controller.
- Then go to Settings -> All Settings and press A.
- In the Settings menu, go to the Accounts tab and select Delete Accounts.
- Once you have decided to delete your accounts, the next step is to select the profile you want to delete and confirm when prompted.
- Then close this menu and return to the dashboard.
- Now press and hold the Xbox button on the console until the console turns off completely and the LED stops flashing.
- Finally, turn on the console to complete the shutdown process.
- You should see an Xbox animation when the console is about to turn on.
Contact Xbox Support
If you delete your account and follow the power of procedure, but your account is locked, the Xbox error 0x80a40014 still won’t go away, you may need to contact Xbox support.
Visit beta.support.xbox.com/contact-us, click Ask a Question and tell them that your Microsoft account has been locked for no reason.
The Xbox error “Your account has been suspended 0x80a40014” appears at irregular intervals, even if you don’t remember violating Microsoft’s terms of service. Microsoft support can help you unlock your account if you contact them.
Another solution to this problem, if your Microsoft account seems to be locked for no reason, is to delete your profile and perform a power-down procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions
To protect your account from fraud or abuse, Microsoft temporarily suspends accounts when unusual activity is detected. If you can't get a security code or if your security code isn't working, go to If you can't log in to your Microsoft account and follow the instructions under "I can't get a verification code.
To resolve problems logging in to Xbox Live on your Xbox One, perform a full system reset, also known as a power cycle, hard reset, or hardware reset. To do this, press and hold the power button for 10 seconds while the system is on. You can also perform a hard reset by going to SETTINGS, SYSTEM, and selecting NEW START.
If you have committed an action that violates the Microsoft service agreement, your account may have been suspended or, in extreme circumstances, your device may have been suspended by the Xbox Live policy enforcement team.
- Enter your cell phone number to request a security code, which will be sent to you.
- After receiving the text message, enter the security code on the site.
- Change your password to complete the unlock process.