Windows 10 allows you to move apps to another location if the developer allows it. However, sometimes moving an app from one area to another can fail, and one of those error codes is 0x80073cf4. This usually happens when you move large applications and get an error message: “We were unable to move the application. The operation was not completed successfully. Error code 0x80073cf4.
Failed to move the application, error code 0x80073cf4.
The error code indicates a specific problem, which according to a Microsoft document, is as follows.
In other words, there is not enough disk space on your computer. You need to free up space on the disk or the target part and then try to move the application again. Now that you know what to do, follow these methods from Techquack to free up hard disk space, or use alternative methods.
What causes error code 0x80073cf4 when moving Microsoft Store apps
Error code 0x80073cf4 is an installation error that occurs when downloading an application from the Microsoft Store or moving an application from one drive to another. This often happens when the affected application or program has a large file size.
This is a simple error with a very clear cause: lack of disk space. The main reason for this error is that there is not enough space on your computer for the new installation, or there is not enough space on the target drive where you want to move the application to.
Since the cause of the error is clear, you can easily find the most effective solution for the Microsoft Store error.
To resolve error code 0x80073cf4 when moving Microsoft Store apps
Install the new application on a different drive
As mentioned earlier, error code 0x80073cf4 appears on the screen when there is not enough space on the disk for a new application.
A simple solution to this problem is to move the new application to a disk with more space. This will fix the error and you can install the new application without any problems.
To move the new application to another disk, follow these steps:
- Type Settings in the search bar and click Open to launch the application.
- Select System and click Storage in the left pane.
- Click Change Storage location for new content.
- Finally, select another player under “New applications are stored in”.
- That’s it. The Microsoft Store will now install new apps in a different location and you can run them easily.
Increasing free space on your computer
Since the cause of error 0x80073cf4 is low disk space, you can free up space by uninstalling apps that you are no longer using.
To remove applications that you no longer need:
- Go to the Control Panel and click on “Programs.”
- Right-click on the program you want to install.
- Finally, click on Uninstall and wait for the process to complete.
Do the same with all unwanted applications and programs. This will free up disk space and fix the error.
However, if you don’t want to uninstall applications, you can also use `Disk Cleaner` to remove unwanted files from your PC. The `Disk Cleaner` removes unnecessary files, cached data, temporary files, and old downloads that may cause errors.
To get rid of unwanted files, use the “Windows Disk Cleanup” service:
- Type “Disk Cleanup” in the search bar and click “Open” to launch the application.
- Select the disk you want to clean.
- Now select the files you want to get rid of and click OK.
- Once the process is complete, try installing the application to see if the error is fixed.
- You should be able to install new applications and run them without any problems.
Reinstalling the app
If none of the above methods worked, try reinstalling the app. Reinstalling will restore the application to its original state and fix any errors.
The following describes how to uninstall and reinstall the application:
- Type Powershell in the search bar and click Run as administrator to run the application with administrator privileges.
- Enter the command below and press Enter.
- Get-appxpackage AppName | Remove-appackage
- Once the process is complete, reinstall the app and check to see if the error has been fixed.
If you encounter error 0x80073cf4 while playing games on your Xbox 360, we recommend performing a hard reset. This will reset the console to factory settings without deleting any games.
Since a factory reset will log you out of your respective accounts, make sure you know your credentials before using this method.
Here’s how to perform a factory reset:
- Press the Xbox button to open the instructions.
- Go to Profile and System and select Settings.
- Select System and click on Console Info.
- Select Reset Console.
- Now select Reset and click Save my games and apps. Wait for the process to start.
- After that, check if the error has been fixed.
Frequently Asked Questions
I suggest you perform the following steps and see if it helps. * Open the "Run" command by pressing Windows + R, type "WSReset.exe" (without the quotes), and press Enter. Check to see if this solved the problem. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Error 0x80073cf6 occurs after updating and restarting your Xbox or after updating your Windows 10 app. The following error code appears after downloading an update and restarting your Xbox or after updating your Windows 10 app: Error 0x80073cf6. We are currently investigating this error.
- Select Start.
- Select Settings.
- Select Apps.
- Select Apps and features.
- Select the application you want to fix.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- Select Repair.
- After the repair is complete, try launching the application.
- Run the Windows Store Troubleshooter.
- Reset the Microsoft Store cache.
- Check your date and time settings.
- Change the regional settings on your computer.
- Change your Internet connection.
- Create a new user account.
- Re-register the Microsoft Store application using PowerShell.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.