Some users reported getting an error message saying that “Windows Push Notifications User Service stopped working” on their Windows 10 computer. How to get rid of the problem? In this article, Techquack explores some possible solutions and shows them with detailed steps.
Windows Push Notification User Service (WpnUserService) is a platform that provides local or pushes notification support in Windows 10. Sometimes this notification service may stop working and you will not be able to receive notifications on your computer.
Usually, you will get an error message box indicating that the Windows push notification service has stopped working. And in other cases, the error message may be “The Windows Push Notifications User Service has stopped unexpectedly”.
If the Windows Push Notifications custom service has stopped working on your computer, you can try to repair it yourself using the following solutions.
Why does the Windows Push Notification user service stop working?
Here is a list of the most common causes of this problem. Be sure to check them to deduce the right script for your problem and solve it easier.
Memory leak caused by the service: Large memory leaks occur due to missing or corrupt system files used by the service. Be sure to replace these files with an SFC scanner.
Notification database corrupted: The notification database is a file that resides on your computer and can be corrupted, causing the service to lock up. Users have reported that deleting this file causes Windows to recreate it, which fixes the problem.
Do not disturb the Avast Antivirus component: The Avast Antivirus component does not allow users to receive notifications but also causes this problem when it is not enabled. Make sure that it is removed.
What should I do if the Windows Push Notification user service is not working?
Check for memory leaks
- Go to the Start menu and look for a custom request.
- Click directly on the first result and select Run as administrator.
- Enter the following command and press Enter :
sfc / scan now.
- Wait until the process completes and reboots the system.
- Make sure that the problem is resolved.
Manually restart the WpnUserService
- To restart the service manually, open the command line from the Start menu.
- Enter the following commands and press Enter :
- sc config WpnUserService start= auto
- Launch the WpnUserService script
- Reboot the system to apply the changes.
Renaming or deleting the Notifications folder in safe mode
- The latest Windows 10 update may have corrupted the notification database and you need to delete or rename the folder.
- Press Windows + R to open the Startup dialog box on your system.
- Type msconfig and click OK.
- Once the System Setup window opens on your screen, go to the Boot tab and check the Safe Boot checkbox.
- Click OK and restart the system. Your system will now boot into safe mode.
- Open “This PC” and navigate to the following location:
- If you don’t see the AppData folder, go to the FileExplorer menu and click the View tab.
- Under Show/Hide, click the Hidden Items checkbox to display hidden files in File Explorer.
- If you are in a Windows folder, locate the Notifications folder and right-click it.
- Click Rename, enter the chosen name and restart the system.
Installing the latest updates
- Open the Settings application from the Start menu and click Update and Security.
- On the Windows Update tab, click Check for Updates.
- Finally, restart your system after Windows completes the update process.
Frequently Asked Questions
Press Windows + I and then press the System button. Go to Notifications and Actions. There you will find a list of options to enable or disable notifications. Disable all options if you don't want to receive notifications.
Go to System -> Notifications and Actions in the Settings window. To disable notifications for any app on your system, disable the "Receive notifications from apps and other senders" button. This option disables notifications for Windows 10 Store apps and regular desktop apps.
City Airship is the oldest and most popular service for sending push notifications. It supports iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Unity, Adobe AIR, Cordova, React.
- Click the Start button and then Settings.
- Go to System -> Notifications and Actions.
- Do one of the following: Select the quick actions you see in the action center. Enable or disable notifications, banners, and sounds for some or all notifications. Choose whether or not to show notifications on the lock screen.