- The dreaded blue screen error 0xc0000221 appears in Windows 10 when trying to start your computer.
- The system will then crash during a continuous automatic repair attempt.
- The problem is sometimes reported on computers with SLI or CrossFire configurations.
- There are several different culprits that could be the cause of the error.
- We recommend that you try the fixes in the order listed.
Ntoskrnl Exe Blue Screen Windows 10
In Windows 10, the ntoskrnl.exe program is often the cause of Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) reports. Now is the time for a fix.
It’s common for users to encounter the 0xc0000221 error code after their computer fails to boot. However, some users report being trapped in ‘Automatic Repair Loops’ when they encounter this error code.
I cannot load Windows 10 on my PC; discuss and support error code Oxc0000221 in Windows 10 Customization. ‘Windows 10 Customization’, started by Wendy William, Mar 24, 2019, has error code: Oxc0000221 and the message “the operating system could not be loaded due to a missing kernel…”
There is a problem with windowssystem32ntoskrnl.exe. It cannot be repaired or recovered
It is very frustrating to experience any glitch on our computer, whether it is causing us problems at work or at home. Windows 10 can often display the dreaded blue screen with error code 0xc0000221 when you try to start up your computer. During a continuous automatic repair attempt, the system crashes.
It is typical for a blue screen to appear in this scenario.
When you use manufacturer recovery dvd media it behaves differently than creating a windows 10 iso dvd. The manufacturer dvd often has the option to reinstall the operating system but no option to repair (windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu). So if you boot to the dvd it will collect information and install windows. As long as you don’t accidentally boot to the dvd I see little downside in attempting the sfc /scannow /offbootdir=f:\ /offwindir=f:\windows other than the amount of time that it may make in the repair. If it does not work there are other repair options.
There is a problem with your computer.
A kernel error or a missing kernel prevents the operating system from booting.
The error code 0xc0000221 is found in the folder: WINDOWS system32 ntoskrnl.exe.
What is the cause of error code 0xc0000221?
A number of causes of error code 0xc0000221 have been identified after investigating many different symptoms of the same error:
A hardware problem caused by a new RAM key or a new hard drive: Several cases have been reported where users have received this error after inserting a second RAM key or connecting a new slave hard drive.
Ntoskrnl Wrong Symbols Exe
Looks like it’s a problem with your wireless card.
0: kd> !analyze
* Bugcheck Analysis *
Second GPU: The problem is sometimes reported on computers with SLI or CrossFire configurations.
Power supply fails to provide enough power: This behavior can occur if the power supply is not large enough to power all connected devices.
Damaged system file: An error code indicates a system problem with a corrupted file.
Third-party service interrupts startup: There are cases where the error was caused by a malicious third-party service that caused the BSOD to fail.
Dear All,I own a PC that has been very stable in the past 3 years. However, since 2021-12-25, I have been experiencing exactly 1 BSOD crash each day. The WinDbg results are almost the same in the past 5 days. Some backgroundLast Windows 10 Update 2021-12-17, which I tried to uninstall with no luckLast 21H2 Feature Update 2021-11-21Nvidia Driver 497.29Bitdefender AntivirusMinidumpshttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1fBSdoZEoQjtEUw6FPmBOBsot94lGhpL4/view?usp=sharingWinDbgMicrosoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.22473.1005 AMD64Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump
How to fix error code 0xc0000221?
You should run a Windows repair to see if missing, corrupt, or damaged system files are causing the ntoskrnl.exe BSOD error.
Occasionally, an error message will appear if the boot files are located outside the 7.8 GB partition limit when Windows NT 4.0 is installed on a larger partition.
The steps below will guide you through troubleshooting steps so you can resolve the error code 0xc0000221. If you try the steps in the order listed below, you will most likely find the problem solved.
- Safe mode should be used.
- In order to scan your system, run SFC, CHKDSK, and DISM.
- For problems with RAM, check it.
- External hard drives and SSDs should be removed from the secondary GPU.
- Restore the system.
- The Windows 10 operating system needs to be repaired by performing an installation.
IMPORTANT: Whatever the cause, your priority should be to try to go into safe mode. If you can go into safe mode, that’s fine; if not, you’ll need to use the Windows installation media.
Start in safe mode
It’s possible that the problem was caused by previously installed software if the computer boots in safe mode correctly. Safe mode loads only the essential files and drivers.
When you have successfully booted into Safe Mode, you will encounter the following error:
- Changing the boot process (turn on the computer, shut it down when the Windows logo appears) can force you to enter the Advanced Startup Options screen if you cannot get past the boot screen. During this process, always shut down your computer when the Windows logo appears two or three times.
- By opening the Startup dialog box (Windows key + R), typing ms-settings: recovery, and hitting Enter, you will be able to open the Restart Settings tab. Above Advanced Start, you will find Restart Now.
- Select Troubleshooting and click Advanced Options on the Advanced Startup Options screen.
- You can restart your computer after clicking Startup Options in the Advanced Options screen.
- You can choose one of three safe modes by pressing F4, F5, or F6 on the Startup Settings screen.
- The computer will automatically crash if it boots in safe mode when a new application has just been installed. You can try systematically excluding services and programs from the startup process until you find the culprit by uninstalling recently installed programs that you believe might be causing the problem.
The next solution is to boot in safe mode if you receive the same 0xc0000221 error.
Run SFC, CHKDSK, and DISM analysis in that order
These three utilities can help you determine whether error code 0xc0000221 is caused by a corrupted file system or system file by fixing Windows file corruption issues.
This error can be fixed using the following utilities:
- The first step is to check your system files.
Enter the following command and press Enter to start scanning the system files if you cannot get past the start screen by following the steps above.
- Restart your computer after completing the sfc / scan procedure and check if the error persists. If the error persists, enter the following command into the extended command line described above to run CHKDSK:
- CHKDSK /f C :
- Note: If the above command does not install Windows 10 on the C drive, change the letter accordingly.
- In order for the DISM scan to begin, restart your computer and see if the error occurs again. If the error happens again, copy the following command and paste it into the extended command line as described above and press Enter:
- Restore health, clean the image, and dism
You can try the following solution if the error still persists after completing this process.
Check if there are any problems with the RAM
Using your computer, you can check whether your installed RAM modules are causing the error. To do so, open it and remove one of the RAM modules (if you have two). The faster memory sticks can sometimes cause problems when they are behind the slower ones – reposition them if your computer boots successfully with just one memory stick.
The second solution is to run a MemTest on both memory cards and confirm the error was not caused by the RAM modules.
Remove the secondary GPU and external hard drives/SDS
It is best to disconnect all unnecessary devices here, including a secondary hard drive, an external hard drive, an optical DVD drive, and a second SLI GPU (or CrossFire configuration). Turn on the computer after reducing it to the bare minimum. If it boots without error code 0xc0000221, always reconnect unnecessary components until you determine which component is malfunctioning.
Try another solution if the first doesn’t work.
Perform a system restore
When a problem occurs as soon as a Windows update is installed, it may be resolved by restoring the system.
It is possible to move on to the next solution if a suitable system restore point does not exist or if it fails.
Perform a Windows 10 operating system repair installation
To save your personal files, settings, and applications, you can perform a Windows 10 repair installation if you still cannot fix error 0xc0000221.
Frequently Asked Questions
Solution. To fix this error, run Emergency Recovery Disk (ERD) and let the system restore or replace the missing or corrupted driver file on the system partition. You can also perform an in-situ update from an existing copy of Windows.
Windows 10 error code 0xc0000221 usually occurs when the system fails to boot. This error can be caused by hardware issues, secondary GPU malfunction, corrupted system files, third-party application interruption, etc. This error code usually indicates system corruption.
- Download Third-party Recovery Essentials software.
- Burn the image.
- Boot your PC from the Third-party Easy Recovery Essentials CD or USB flash drive.
- After starting the third-party software, select the "Auto Recovery" option and click "Next".
- Boot into safe mode.
- Perform SFC, CHKDSK, and DISM scans in that order.
- Check the RAM for problems.
- Remove the secondary GPU and external hard drives/SDS.
- Perform a system restore.
- Perform an installation to repair the Windows 10 operating system.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.