What is the cause of the missing Windows 10 brightness slider error? How to fix Windows 10 brightness slider error? This Techquack post will show you the solutions. You can also visit Techquack to find more tips and solutions for Windows.
You can adjust the screen brightness from the Windows 10 notification center. You can simply drag the slider to increase or decrease the brightness. This is a simple feature used by most Windows users. However, some users have reported that the Windows 10 brightness slider is missing from the notification center.
It is impossible to work with the same brightness because we have to adjust it according to the ambient lighting conditions. Well, for some users, it’s hard to do without the slider. You may have problems with insufficient slider brightness due to a disabled monitor driver, outdated display drivers, recent Windows updates, or improper power settings.
What causes insufficient slider brightness in Windows 10?
The ability to adjust brightness from your PC can be very useful, but many users report that this option is not available in Windows 10.
Speaking of problems with the Brightness option, here are some of the problems reported by users:
The “Brightness” option is not available in Windows 10, Windows 10 Gray: Many users reported that the “Brightness” option is not available in Windows 10. In this case, update your video card drivers and see if that can help.
Missing Windows 10 Slider Brightness: The ability to control brightness with a slider can be very useful, but many users report that the feature is not available. If this is the case, uninstall Teamviewer and similar software from your PC and see if this solves the problem.
Laptop brightness is not working: Sometimes there can be problems with the brightness of your laptop. To enable this feature, make sure the power settings are set correctly.
Screen brightness not displayed, an option unavailable: If this option is unavailable, you can still adjust the brightness using the control software or by downloading a special third-party application.
Can’t adjust brightness in Windows 8, 7: If you can’t adjust brightness in Windows 8 or 7, you can try some of our solutions. Most of our solutions are fully compatible with older versions of Windows, so feel free to try them.
Here’s how to solve the problem of missing slider brightness in Windows 10
Activate the device in Device Manager
This simple method was suggested by a user on a forum, and many other users have used it, although it doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the problem. The key is to activate the device you have in the “Monitors” section of the Device Manager. Activating this device should fix the problem and put the brightness control back in place!
- Press the Start menu button, type “Device Manager” on your keyboard, and select the tool from the list of available results by clicking on the first item on the list. You can also press the Windows + R key combination to bring up the “Run” window. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the box and click OK to run it.
- To do this properly, expand the “Monitors” section of the Device Manager by clicking the arrow next to it, right-click the only device found there, and select the “Enable Device” option if it is available.
- If it is already enabled, instead select Properties from the context menu and go to Driver Verification to see if the driver manufacturer is different from Microsoft (e.g. TeamViewer). If it is, click Delete on the same tab and confirm your choice in the following dialog box.
- Now you can go back to the Device Manager and click Action on the top menu. Click on the “Check Hardware Changes” option and it will search for devices without drivers and reinstall them automatically.
- Confirm any dialog boxes or prompts that ask you to confirm your choices, and check to see if there is still no brightness slider in Windows 10!
Update your video card driver
This is a pretty simple way to solve the problem, and it’s definitely something you should try right away. Installing the driver won’t hurt you, and it’s recommended that you always install the latest drivers. Follow these steps to perform a clean installation of the latest NVIDIA driver.
- Click the Start menu button, then type “Device Manager” and select it from the list of available search results by simply clicking on the first one. You can also use the Windows + R key combination to bring up the startup window. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialog box and click OK to run it.
- To install the driver for the video card you want to update on your computer, open the Display Adapters section, right-click on the video card and select “Uninstall Device”.
- Confirm any dialog boxes or prompts that ask you to confirm the removal of your current video card driver, and wait for the process to complete.
- Find your video card driver on the NVIDIA or AMD website. Enter the necessary information about your card and your operating system, and then click Search or Submit.
- A list of all available drivers should appear. Scroll down to the page you want, click on the driver name and then click Download. Save it to your computer, open it, and follow the instructions on the screen.
- When you get to the installation options screen, select the Custom (Advanced) option before clicking Next. A list of components that need to be installed will be displayed. Check the box next to “Perform a clean installation”, click “Next” and install the driver.
- Make sure the problem is resolved and the brightness slider is back!
Restoring the brightness setting in Quick Actions
It’s also possible that someone or something removed the brightness control option from the Quick Actions menu in the Notification Center. It’s very easy to restore the brightness settings using the Windows 10 Settings app.
- Search for settings in the Start menu and click on the first result that appears. You can also click directly on the gear icon in the bottom left corner of the Start menu or use the Windows + I key combination.
- Find the System section at the bottom of the Settings window and click on it. Click on the Notifications and Actions tab and under Quick Actions, select
- Find the Add or Remove Quick Actions button below and click on it to open a list of all Quick Actions. Scroll down until you find Brightness, and set the slider next to it to On.
- Make sure the problem is resolved and the Brightness slider is in the right place!
Updating Windows to the latest version
The latest versions of Windows 10 seem to have solved this problem for good unless it is caused by third-party programs. Updating your operating system to the latest version is always helpful when such errors occur, and users have reported that the latest versions of Windows 10 have actually solved the problem.
- Use the Windows + I key combination to open Windows PC Settings. You can also search for “Settings” by using the search bar on the taskbar.
- Under “Settings”, locate and open “Updates and Security” under the “Windows Updates” tab and click “Check for Updates” under “Update Status” to see if a new version of Windows is available.
- If the update is installed, Windows should install it immediately, and then you will be prompted to reboot the computer.
Note: If this problem occurs after a Bios update or after making changes to the Bios, it is recommended that you reset the Bios to factory default settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the Brightness option is not available on your Windows 10 computer, the problem may be related to your monitor driver. Sometimes the driver has an issue that can cause this and other problems. Find your monitor driver, right-click on it and select Uninstall. Select the Uninstall driver software for this device checkbox and click OK.
- Drag the mouse from the top of the screen to open the notification panel.
- Tap the gear icon to open the settings menu.
- Tap "View" and select "Notification panel.
- Select the checkbox next to "Brightness Control. If this checkbox is selected, a brightness slider appears on the notification panel.
The Brightness slider appears in the Windows 10 Action Center, version 1903. To find the Brightness slider in earlier versions of Windows 10, select Settings -> System -> Screen, then move the Change Brightness slider to adjust the brightness.
Go to Settings -> Display -> Notification Panel -> Brightness Adjustment. If the brightness bar is still missing after making the necessary changes, try restarting your phone to make sure the changes were applied correctly.