Error code 0xc00007b is a common Windows problem that occurred with the release of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, although such errors usually persist for years. It usually happens right after installing patches or feature updates and prevents certain apps from launching.
The list of apps affected by error 0xc00007b is usually different, so it can block access to Skype, Messenger, Microsoft Office Suite, some video games, or any other apps that users have used before. The error is usually indicated by a notification:
The application did not start properly (0xc00007b). Click OK to close the application.
However, this explanation is not enough for the average PC user to approach the problem from the right angle. Clicking OK will simply close the application and the user will not be able to open it completely, so they will not get any response.
Many users have been able to fix the 0xc00007b error by reinstalling the application that initiates the error. This is a good idea if the problem is limited to one or more applications, and removing them will not cause data loss or other inconvenience.
What causes error 0xc00007b in Windows 10
When a user tries to run an application or game on their Windows system, suddenly 0xc00007b / 0xc000007b error appears, which prevents the user from performing their tasks.
This error is mainly due to the confusion between the 32-bit and 64-bit environments. This means that you have a 32-bit application trying to load a 64-bit DLL.
These errors can also occur with PC games such as Watchdogs, Outlast, and Dead Island. 0xc000007b or 0xc00007b error often occurs in Windows 7 system, but many Windows 10 users also complain about the error message “0xc00007b fix Windows 10 64 bit”.
Typically, this error occurs when a 32-bit version of Windows is mixed with 64-bit operating systems or applications. Sometimes restarting Windows can help solve the problem. So you might try doing that first. Updating your operating system can also fix the error, as different versions of Windows have different bugs.
So, in this article, we are going to look at the solutions that have helped many users to get rid of 0xc00007b / 0xc000007b error in all games and other PC applications.
Fix 0xc00007b error in Windows 10
Install the latest version of the .NET framework
- The first step is to reinstall the .NET framework with the latest version, which is available at the link below.
- Click here to the left to install the latest version of the .NET Framework.
Reinstall the latest version of the application that is causing the problem
- If reinstalling the .NET Framework does not work, you must uninstall the application or game that is causing the problem.
- Reinstall the latest version of the application on your system.
- Reboot your Windows operating system.
- Try restarting the application and see if the 0xc00007b error still occurs.
Run the application/file as an administrator
- Navigate to the root folder of the application you are trying to run.
- Right-click or long-click on the executable file of the application.
- Click or left-click on the “Properties” function in the menu that appears.
- Click or left-click on the “Compatibility” tab at the top of the window.
- Now you need to left-click on the “Run this program as an administrator” field under the “Permission level” heading.
- Left-click or click the “Apply” button at the bottom of this window.
- Left-click or click the “OK” button at the bottom of this window.
- Now try to run the program and see if you still get this error message.
Reboot your Windows PC
After reinstalling an app or game, you will need to restart your Windows operating system as soon as it prompts you. Note: Most apps or games require you to reboot your system after installation.
Installing Windows Updates
Install all available Windows 10 operating system updates using the Windows Updates feature.
Install the latest version of Visual C++
- Left-click or click the link below to download and install the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++.
- Left-click or click here to install Microsoft Visual C++.
- Reboot your Windows operating system after the installation process is complete and try the application now.
Using the command line
- Press the “Windows” key and right-click on the “cmd” icon you see there.
- Select the “Run as administrator” option.
- Now you are looking at the command line with administrative privileges.
- In the command line window, write the following: “c: /f /r” without quotes.
- Press the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
Note: If you have more than one partition to check, you should write the above command, but change the partition and press the “Enter” key (example: “e: /f /r”, which will check the “E” partition).
- Copy the files to an external hard drive to have a backup.
- Perform a clean installation of the Windows operating system.
- And make sure that all installed applications are compatible with the version of Windows you are using.
Note: they must be compatible with either the 32-bit version of Windows or the 64-bit version of Windows.
Frequently Asked Questions
0xc000007b error means incorrect image format and is often caused by missing or corrupted system/application files. The most common causes of this error are drivers for NVIDIA or other brands of graphics cards.
- Click Start.
- Enter the data to add or remove programs and press Enter.
- Find the Epic Games launcher and select it.
- Click Uninstall.
- Then download the latest installer from www.epicgames.com to reinstall the launcher.
- Reboot your computer. First, try rebooting Windows.
- Enable administrator privileges.
- Reinstall the application or game.
- Update Windows.
- Run the Chkdsk.
- Reinstall DirectX.
- While holding down the "Windows" key, press "R".
- Type "Regedit" and press "Enter."
- Open "AppInst_DLLs" and set it to blank.
- Restart the computer.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.