Sea of Thieves is an action-adventure game released by Xbox Game Studios and developed by Rare. Players take on the role of a pirate to complete the journeys of various trading companies and eventually become a pirate legend.
Since its release, it has gained a lot of popularity among users. But many users report that there are still problems with the game. Today we will present you with another problem, the microphone problem in Sea of Thieves, which does not work. Since this is a multiplayer game, players can contact each other to say goodbye, swap, play PvP, etc. But once a problem occurs, they can’t do voice chat.
Depending on the users, some can use the microphone in Steam or Discord and many other games, but it doesn’t work in this game. It’s no fun to play without voice chat or a microphone. So, how can you solve this problem if you’re experiencing it too? Some simple and effective solutions are presented below.
Why doesn’t the microphone work in Sea of Thieves voice chat?
- Your antivirus and firewall play an important role in keeping your device and data safe. But these applications have been known to cause problems in online gaming. The current voice chat problem may be caused by your antivirus or firewall (third-party antivirus and firewall are known to cause these kinds of problems). You can check this by temporarily disabling your antivirus program or firewall.
- System drivers are constantly being updated to improve performance by fixing known bugs and to keep up with technological advances.
- If the drivers in your system, especially the audio driver, are out of date, this may be the cause of the current voice chat error. Under these conditions, updating your system drivers may solve the problem.
To repair a voicemail microphone that is not working in a sea of thieves
Perform basic troubleshooting
If voice chat no longer works in Sea of Thieves, you should first perform some basic checks to troubleshoot connectivity and hardware issues.
- Disconnect and reconnect the headset to update the device settings.
- Replace the headphone jack. Some players report that their headphones only work when plugged into a specific input jack.
- Try plugging the headset into a different PC to make sure the device is not physically broken.
If you have followed the above steps and still encounter the same problem, you will find other solutions below.
Set the microphone as the default device
Sometimes after a system update, the sound settings on your computer may be distorted and the microphone may not be detected correctly or not set as the default device. In this case, you must manually configure the settings for the headset to work.
- On the keyboard, press the Windows logo key and the R key simultaneously to bring up the Run command. Then type “control” and press “OK”.
- Select the small icons next to “View Through” and press “Sound”.
- In the Play tab, click the main headset and select Set as Default.
- Right-click on the other headphones that you are not using and click “Disable”.
- Click the Record tab and turn off the other microphones that you are not using.
- Select the primary microphone and click Set Default.
- Click OK to apply the changes.
Once everything is set up correctly, restart Sea of Thieves to see if the sound works. If not, try the third option.
Allowing Microphone Access
If you don’t allow Sea of Thieves to use your microphone, you won’t be able to communicate with other players in the game. To check if you have activated the authorization, follow these steps:
- Enter Microphone Privacy in the Windows search bar and click Microphone Privacy Preferences.
- Click the Edit button and activate microphone access for this device. Next, select the Allow apps to access the microphone option at the bottom.
- Scroll down to activate the button next to Sea of Thieves and Xbox.
Open the game to test the voice chat in Sea of Thieves. If it still doesn’t work, check your audio driver.
Update your audio driver
Faulty or outdated device drivers can lead to various gaming problems. If you can’t remember the last time you updated your drivers, be sure to do so now, as it can keep your audio devices in perfect condition and very well solve the problem of non-functioning voice chat in Sea of Thieves.
Download and install the driver manually
If you are familiar with the hardware, you can go directly to the helmet manufacturer’s website and find the latest correct driver.
Once you have downloaded the correct drivers for your system, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Reboot the Windows audio service
If the Windows audio service isn’t working properly, you may have audio problems. To fix it, you need to restart the audio service. Here’s how to do it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and the R key at the same time to open the Run command. Then type services. MSC in the box and press Enter.
- Right-click Windows Audio and choose Restart.
- Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Check the sound settings in your game
If everything is fine in your computer’s sound settings, be sure to turn on voice chat in the game settings. You can follow these steps to check:
- In the game, press the Escape key on your keyboard and select My Crew.
- In the window on the right, make sure that you have not muted the voices of the other teams.
- Exit the window and open the Settings menu.
- In the left pane, select Audio Settings. Next, make sure that the team’s chat output is set to the correct device and that Push To Talk is enabled.
Check the party chat settings
If you have set up Xbox Party Chat, you will also need to enable chat access in your Xbox settings. Otherwise, you won’t be able to use voice chat in Sea Thief as intended. To do this, follow the instructions below.
- Open your browser and go to account.xbox.com. Then log in to your account.
- Click on your username in the upper right corner and select Xbox Settings.
- Select the Privacy and Internet Security tab.
- Under You Can, next to You can communicate outside of Xbox Live using voice and text, select the Allow checkbox.
- Scroll down to the Others Can section. To allow others to communicate with voice, text, or invitations, select All.
- Open your Xbox app. Then click your avatar in the upper-right corner and click Settings.
- In the left pane, select Audio. Make sure your gaming headset is set as an input/output device, and turn on Push-to-talk.
Frequently Asked Questions
To solve this problem, try the following solutions: Disconnect and reconnect your headset/Kinect. Make sure your microphone is not muted. Check if a "sea of thieves" can access your microphone (Settings > Account -> Online Privacy and Security -> App Privacy -> Microphone).
- First of all, make sure that your microphone or headset is connected.
- If your microphone or headset has a mute switch, make sure it is not turned off.
- Check your Windows sound settings to make sure that the microphone is not muted and that the microphone you want to use is set as the default recording device.
- First of all, you need to make sure that your privacy settings are set so that Sea of Thieves can access your microphone.
- From the Windows Start menu, go to your settings and look for Privacy.
- In the sidebar, click Microphone and turn on the option that allows apps to use my microphone.
- You can now activate microphone access for Sea of Thieves.
To use in-game voice chat, the default is to use the left key, and for those using the joystick, it should automatically detect your voice.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.