If you’re trying to upload or sync files to your Mac via OneDrive cloud storage and get the error `You’re syncing another account,’ here’s the solution you need to follow. Getting rid of this problem is quite easy, as you need to remove the registered password of the old account from the keychain. This article by Techquack shows you the exact steps to do that.
To save space on your hard drive, it is quite convenient to store your documents in the cloud. With Windows 10, OneDrive is the best option for storing documents and instantly syncing them to the cloud on the go. If you get the error message You sync another OneDrive account when you log into OneDrive, this Techquack article will show you how to fix it.
If you’re using two OneDrive accounts on your Mac, you may get this error message when OneDrive can’t properly distinguish between the two accounts. This may be caused by internal file corruption. When this message appears, syncing automatically stops and users cannot upload new files to the OneDrive.
What leads to the “You are syncing another account” error in OneDrive for Mac
This problem can occur if you recently changed your Microsoft account password. Since the OneDrive app can still use old cached credentials, this leads to this error. This can happen with any OneDrive app, whether it’s Mac or Windows 10/8.1/8/7.
If you’re also experiencing this problem, here’s how to fix it.
To fix the “You’re syncing with another account” error in OneDrive for Mac, follow these steps
Open the Keychain account
- Press Cmd+spacebar on your computer.
- Search for keychain access.
- Open the appropriate application on your Mac.
- Find the account in the OneDrive or OneDrive Standalone cache.
- Right-click with the mouse.
- Select Delete.
- Confirm that you want to delete this password.
- Open OneDrive to log in to your account.
Here’s an overview of these steps.
You need to open the keychain account on your computer. You can use any method to do this. However, you can open it effortlessly using the Spotlight search function.
- To do this, press Cmd+Space and search for “keychain access”. The application should be found in the results you type.
- After opening keychain access, you will need to find either a cached OneDrive account or a separate cached OneDrive account.
- If you have an OneDrive with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. installed, you should see OneDrive Cached Credential.
- However, if you only have OneDrive installed on your Mac, you should see “OneDrive Standalone Cached Credential”.
- In both cases, you should right-click and select Delete.
- You will be prompted to confirm the deletion. You can confirm this in a pop-up window.
- After completing the last step, you can open the OneDrive app on your Mac and try to log in to your account.
- Now you shouldn’t see any error messages and you can download files as usual.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Make sure that the OneDrive process is running.
- Look for the OneDrive icon on the right side of the menu bar.
- Restart OneDrive. From the menu bar, select the OneDrive icon, then select Stop OneDrive.
- Find OneDrive using Spotlight and open it again.
- Update the OneDrive for Mac sync app.
Yes, you can have 2 OneDrive for Business accounts on the same Mac. To do this, make sure OneDrive is active and then follow these steps: Right-click the OneDrive cloud icon in the top menu bar -> select Settings -> Account -> Add Account, then follow the instructions.
- Update your OneDrive app and software.
- Check the file name.
- Check the file size.
- Reset the sync connection.
- Stop and restart the sync.
Select the OneDrive cloud icon in the Windows taskbar or Mac menu bar. Under Settings, select Account and then Add Account. When the OneDrive setup launches, enter your new account and select Sign in.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.