Your laptop or desktop computer can record sound from its own speakers. For example, if you want to record the sound of a Skype call, you can do so, but first, your sound card must support this option. If you do not have the “Stereo Mix” or “Wave Out” option in the “Sounds” window, it may be a driver problem or your sound card does not support this option. If it is the first case, you can fix the missing stereo mix or “wave out” option by repairing the drivers. If this is the case, you still have other options.
Stereo Mix is a tool that allows users to record computer output such as broadcasts, speaker outputs, live audio, and even system sounds. Although Stereo Mix comes standard with some sound cards, most Windows 10 users cannot use this tool because it is disabled by default on their computer. If you want to enable Stereo Mix on your computer, follow these simple steps.
What is the reason for not having Stereo Mix in Windows 10?
Stereo Mix is a tool that allows you to record the sound produced by your computer. But sometimes you may encounter a problem when using Stereo Mix. In some cases, you may see Stereo Mix working but not recording anything, or the Stereo Mix panel not moving at all.
Here are some common reasons why Stereo Mix doesn’t work on Windows 10 :
- If Stereo Mix is recording sound and you can hear it, but there is nothing in the recording, then the application or settings must be responsible for the problem.
- If you can’t hear the sound, there may be a driver problem because your computer isn’t producing sound.
As you can see, it’s not a big problem, and it’s easy to fix. Here are some solutions for you.
How do I fix the “stereo mix” in Windows 10?
Make sure your microphone is available
This problem may also occur if your microphone is not available. This will automatically disable the use of “Stereo Mix”. This is the easiest solution and can save you a lot of work. So don’t skip this method when trying to solve the “Stereo Mix is not available” problem on Windows 10.
- Click on the gear icon in the bottom left corner of the Start menu to open the Settings app. You can also search for it.
- Scroll down to the Privacy section and be sure to click on it. On the left side of the window, you should see an Application Permissions section. Scroll down to Microphone and select this option.
- First, check to see if the Microphone Access option is enabled for this device. If it is not, click the Edit button and set the slider to Enabled.
- Next, under Allow apps to access the microphone, move the Allow apps to access the microphone slider to the Enabled tab and scroll through the list of apps installed on your computer. Rotate the cursor next to the applications you want to allow access to the list.
- Restart your computer to see if the problem persists!
View disconnected devices
It is possible that Windows 10 has somehow automatically disabled Stereo Mix as a virtual sound device. This may have been deemed unnecessary or may have been disabled by a third party claim. This is a pretty serious mistake on Microsoft’s part because hiding it under recording devices was completely unnecessary. Be sure to check to see if this is the cause of your problem!
- Right-click on the volume icon in the lower right corner of the screen and select Sounds. Another option would be to open your PC Control Panel and set the “Show By” option to “Large Icons”.
- Then find the Sounds option and click on it to open the same window.
- Click on the “Record” tab of the “Sounds” window that just opened. Right-click anywhere in the center of the window and check the boxes next to “Show Disconnected Devices” and “Show Disconnected Devices”. Stereo Mix should appear. Right-click on it and select Enable from the pop-up menu that appears.
- Be sure to try it out to make sure it works!
Update your audio driver
Many users have reported that they were able to solve the problem by simply reinstalling their audio drivers. This method is easy to implement and well worth your time. Try it below!
- Click on the “Start” menu at the bottom left of your screen, then type in “Device Manager” and select it from the list of available results by simply clicking on the first one.
- You can also press the Windows + R key combination to bring up the “Run” dialog box. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialog box and click OK to run it.
- Since you want to update the headphone driver, open the “Sound, Video and Game Controllers” section. Right-click the headphones in the list and select “Update Driver” from the context menu.
- In the new window, select Automatically check for updated drivers and wait for the utility to find new drivers.
- Check to see if the headphones appear in the audio settings under “Playable Devices”!
Enable stereo mixing for Conexant high-definition audio
If your computer’s audio device is a Conexant HD Audio device, the following steps will help you restore Stereo Mix in Windows 10. Be sure to follow the steps below, as some advanced fixes need to be done with caution. Good luck solving the problem!
Note: If you cannot perform the following steps because you cannot find the file “CALCC2WA.inf_amd64_07118bd8a2180658”, this file may have a slightly different name on your computer. To find the file, please download the portable version of PSPad and run PSPad.exe.
It should look like this:
1.) Click the Search button.
2.) Select “Search / Replace in Files”.
3.) In the “Search text” field, enter the following text
4.) In the Selected phonebook field, enter the following path
5.) Click OK. And in the Search tab, you should see files containing the line above at the bottom of the file search results.
Frequently Asked Questions
The drivers of your audio chips may be outdated, so Stereo Mix does not appear in the list of devices. It is recommended that you contact the manufacturer of your device to update the driver. After updating the drivers for your audio chipset, check again to see if the missing device appears.
You can try placing a microphone next to your speakers, but this is not an ideal way to record sound. With Stereo Mix, you can open a recording program on your computer, select Stereo Mix as your input, and it will record everything that comes out of your computer.
- Open the AM3D Zirene Sound app.
- Click the ON button in the upper right corner.
- Adjust the bass and treble to your liking.
- Click on the phone icon to adjust the sound for different devices.
- Turn on EQ for even more control.
Go to the audio icon in the taskbar, right-click it and go to "Recording Devices" to open the corresponding control panel. In this panel, right-click on an empty area and make sure that "Show Disconnected Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices" options are checked.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.