Web Shield is a part of the Avast antivirus software that actively scans web browsing data to prevent malicious programs from downloading and executing on your computer. This is probably one of the most important features of Avast that should always be running to protect your computer.
This error occurs when your shields have been disabled for some reason (manual shutdown, malware, errors) and you cannot activate Web Shield in the Avast components window. Follow the methods below to try to solve this problem.
What causes the “Avast Web Shield not turning on” problem?
There are many possible causes for this problem. Here are some common reasons why Avast Web Shield does not turn on on Windows systems:
- Web Shield was disabled manually
- Malware or bug in Avast application.
- Incompatibility between the installed version of Avast and the operating system of the system.
How to resolve the “Avast Web Shield not turning on” problem?
Launch Avast Repair
- Open Windows 10 Control Panel by pressing Windows + R, type Control Panel, and press Enter to open it.
- Click on the “Uninstall Program” link in the “Programs” section of the Control Panel.
- Find the Avast antivirus software and right-click it to select Change.
- In the Avast configuration window, click Restore to start the Avast restore process.
Restarting Avast antivirus software
- Open the Windows Services screen. You can press the Windows + R keys at the same time.
- Type services.MSC in the Startup window and press Enter to open Services.
- Scroll down until you find the Avast Antivirus Service, right-click it and select Properties.
- Make sure that the startup type is Automatic. Check the status of the Avast service.
- If it is running, you can click the Stop button.
- After a while, you can click the Start button to restart the Avast Antivirus service.
- Finally, click Apply and OK to finish restarting the Avast service.
Updating Avast to the latest version manually
- Open the Avast antivirus program by clicking on the icon in the toolbar.
- You can also click on the Start menu and the icon to open the Avast program.
- Click the Update tab. Click on the virus definition and program update icons to fully update your free Avast antivirus software.
- Once the update process is complete, you can restart your computer to see if the Avast Web Shield issue on Windows 10 has been resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions
Reboot your computer, then start Avast. Click Firewall, then click Start to activate the firewall. If you have application rules configured, try disabling them in the Firewall menu to see if these rules are causing firewall problems.
Open Avast Antivirus and go to Menu > Settings. Select Protection > Main Shields. Scroll to Configure Shield Settings and select the Web Shield tab. Uncheck the Enable HTTPS scanning option.
Right-click on your version of Avast Antivirus and select Uninstall from the drop-down menu. When the User Account Control dialog box asks for your approval, click Yes. When the Avast installation wizard appears, click Restore. Click Yes to allow the repair.