DLL stands for “Dynamic Link Library” in Windows 10 system, it is a file that can be shared by programs to run the registry. Bootres.dll is one of them and if this file is corrupted, you may get an error message “Program cannot be started because of bootres”.
The file bootres.dll is located in the Windows folder and is part of the boot resources library. If you also encounter a startup runtime error related to a corrupted bootres.dll file in Windows 10, check out this troubleshooting guide to fix it.
What causes Bootres.dll corruption?
Windows 10 bootres.dll file corruption problem can be caused by wrong order in SrtTrail.txt file. This cause is also detected when the Windows recovery environment command line checks this particular file. Therefore, the problem with corrupt bootres.dll in Windows 10 may be caused by the wrong order.
Therefore, in the next section, we will show you how to fix the corrupt bootres.dll errors. However, since when you get bootres.dll corrupt Windows 10 error, you cannot log into your operating system, the first thing you need to do is to recover data from an unbootable computer before proceeding further to avoid wrong operations that may lead to secondary data corruption.
How to recover a corrupted Bootres.dll file?
Perform a system restore
You can use the System Restore utility in Windows 10 to restore your computer to its previous state. You can also perform this operation to restore your computer to a state where the problem with the corrupted bootrec.dll did not occur. However, to do this, you need to have a system restore point created in the past.
- Activate the automatic Windows recovery mode.
- To do this, start the computer, and when the first screen with the manufacturer’s logo appears, forcibly turn off the computer by holding down the power switch for about 5 seconds.
- Restart the computer by pressing the power switch again.
- Now repeat the forced shutdown procedure 3-4 times.
- Your computer will be put into automatic recovery mode.
- Now go to Troubleshooting -> Advanced -> System Restore.
- The System Restore window will open. Click on the “Next” button.
- On the next screen, you will see a list of restore points with the time and date signatures of those points.
- Select the last restore point at which your computer worked without problems.
- Once you have made your selection, click Next.
- Now follow the instructions on the screen to restore your PC to the selected point.
- Once the recovery process is complete, the problem will be resolved and the error will no longer bother you.
Perform a ChkDsk scan
Damaged or corrupted hard drive sectors can also be the cause of the problem with corrupt bootres.dll. Running the ChkDsk utility will scan your hard drive for problems and fix them if necessary.
- Open the command line in Windows Auto Repair mode.
- Copy and paste the following command into the command line and press Enter:
chkdsk C: /f /x /r
Where C is the name of the drive where Windows is normally installed. If Windows is installed on your computer on a drive with a different name, be sure to replace the letter C with the name of the drive-in question.
Running a Startup Repair
Running Startup Repair has helped many users get rid of the corrupt bootrec.dll error. If you are unable to start Windows, you can run Startup Repair using Auto Repair mode.
- Open Windows Auto Repair mode.
- On the first screen, select Troubleshooting.
- On the Troubleshooting menu that opens, click Advanced Options.
- Now click the Boot Repair option on the Advanced Options menu.
- The Boot Repair tool will now launch.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
- This may take some time.
Resetting your computer
- Enter Windows Auto-Restore mode
- On the first screen of Auto Repair mode, select Troubleshooting.
- On the next screen, select Reset this PC.
- On the Reset this PC screen, you can select one of two options: Save My Files and Delete All. Select the Save My Files option and proceed with the reset.
- Wait for the reset process to complete.
- Your computer will be reset to factory settings, which will permanently fix the corrupt bootres.dll error on your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bootres.dll is a Windows 10 Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file that is shared by programs. DLLs are Windows system files that are an important part of the registry. If the bootres file on your desktop or laptop computer is corrupt, you may get an error message that says: Program cannot be started because of bootres.
Learn more about bootres.dll. It is a DLL (Dynamic Link Libraries) file associated with the Windows operating system. It plays an important role in the Windows startup process, so any errors related to it can prevent your computer from starting.
- Run the built-in system file checker to replace missing or damaged operating system files.
- Run the DISM tool, restore the Windows system image, and repair the corrupted Windows component memory.
- Repair or reinstall the software if the application is causing this error.
- Run a third-party DLL fixer.
- Run the SFC scanner.
- Run DISM.
- Manually load DLL file.
- Install DirectX.
- Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables.
- Disable or uninstall your antivirus program.
- Perform an onsite update.