Softthinks Agent Service is a backup utility from Dell Inc. built into many Dell laptops and computers. Its main function is to regularly back up existing files and programs. This utility is often used in conjunction with the Dell Back and Recovery suite or Dell DataSafe Local Backup.
In many previous versions of the Windows operating system, this utility proved to be very useful and helped restore the system when it was damaged for some reason.
What makes Softthinks agent service use a lot of hard disk and CPU?
- The reason is that this service backs up your computer’s data. It also sets a timer or trigger to automatically start the backup process. In some cases, hard drive usage can reach 100% in as little as 2 hours.
- On the other hand, if you start Windows 10 in normal mode or from hibernation mode, the SoftThinks Agent service starts as usual. This is also the reason for the high hard disk load by SoftThinks Agent Service.
How can I fix the high hard disk and CPU load of SoftThinks Agent Service?
Disable SoftThinks Agent Service
- Press Win and R to activate the Run dialog box, and type services.MSC in the window.
- Then click OK to continue.
- Scroll down the list of services to find SoftThinks Agent Service and right-click to open the properties.
- Set the startup type to Disabled and click Suspend in the service status.
- Finally, click Apply and OK to complete the operation.
Remove the SoftThinks Agent service
- Open the Control Panel and click Programs and Features.
- Then locate and click Dell Backup and Recovery.
- Click the Uninstall option to completely remove the utility from your computer.
- Reboot your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Softthinks Agent Service is a backup utility from Dell Inc. that is built into many Dell laptops and computers. Its main function is to regularly back up existing files and programs. The reason why this utility consumes so many resources is that it backs up existing files on your computer.
- Disable the SoftThinks Agent Service
- Uninstall the SoftThinks Agent Service
Since this utility is not a system service, it is only suitable for Dell customers. So unless you have a specific purpose, you can disable it and even remove it from your computer.