- SoftThinks Agent Service is a backup utility from Dell Inc. built into many Dell laptops and computers.
- Its main function is to regularly back up existing files and programs.
- This utility is often used in conjunction with the Dell Back and Recovery suite or Dell DataSafe Local Backup.
- In some cases, hard drive usage can reach 100% in as little as 2 hours.
- If you start Windows 10 in normal mode or from hibernation mode, the service starts as usual.
Softthinks Agent Service
SoftThinks Agent Service is incorporated in multiple Dell desktops and laptops by Dell Inc. The primary function of this back utility is to store all the files and programs periodically. It is held up with Dell DataSafe Local Backup bundle or Dell Back and Recovery for their exclusive backup services. This service has proved to be one of the best promising backup services for many previous versions of Windows and has helped the users restore their system when anything goes wrong. Yet, few users complain that SoftThinks Agent Service caused their system to slow down and consume a lot of CPU resources unnecessarily. If you are also facing the same issue, you are at the right place! We bring a perfect guide to help you fix high disk and CPU usage by SoftThinks Agent Service.
Many Windows users complain of high disk usage caused by SoftThinks Agent Service on Windows 10. So, why does this happen? Keep reading to learn what causes it.
Many users are concerned about the high CPU consumption of SoftThinks Agent Service. So, what can be done?
Softthinks Service Agent causes Windows system disk usage to be high. This article explains what it is and how you can fix it.
Also, Dell users often complain that Softthinks Agent Service hogs 100 disk space or even CPU power on Windows 10 every time you start Windows 10 normally, from sleep mode, or from hibernation.
It is a backup utility built into many Dell laptops and computers by Softthinks Inc. Dell’s Agent Service is a backup utility that performs a regular backup of existing files and programs. Dell Back and Recovery or Dell DataSafe Local Backup are commonly used in conjunction with this utility.
Softthink Agent Service
Dell Backup utility could be uninstalled if you don’t use the Softhinks Agent Service.
This high disk usage also sky rockets the CPU to over 80% usage and drains your battery very fast. Given the disk and CPU usage, SoftThinks Agent dominates the system for 10 minutes to a few hours. The problem might go away for a while, but when you restart your PC or come out of the sleep mode or hibernation, the PC will take just as long to be usable. Now, what is SoftThinks Agent Service and what does it do? Is it essential in running Windows; and can it be disabled if it is not essential? These are the questions this article is going to answer.
If you installed SftService.exe as part of your software on your computer, you can remove it by following the steps this link provides one by one.
There are some easy fixes you can try if your computer is using high CPU usage. Since the first two fixes already stop the program from running, they should already solve the problem of high CPU usage. Once the program stops, it will no longer use up any resources on your computer.
This utility has proved very useful in previous versions of Windows and been used to restore the system when it had been damaged.
What makes Softthinks agent service use a lot of hard disk and CPU?
- It backs up your computer’s data, and it also automatically starts the backup process when a specified time passes. It sometimes takes as little as two hours for your hard drive usage to reach 100%.
- As a result of this high hard disk load by the SoftThinks Agent Service, Windows 10 normally starts with the SoftThinks Agent service in normal mode or while in hibernation mode.
How can I fix the high hard disk and CPU load of SoftThinks Agent Service?
You may disable SoftThinks Agent Service by clicking here
- Type services.MSC in the Run dialog box once you’ve activated the Run dialogue box by pressing Win and R.
- Continue by clicking OK.
- The properties of SoftThinks Agent Service can be accessed by right-clicking on it in the list of services.
- Click Suspend in the service status and set the startup type to Disabled.
- Complete the operation by clicking OK and Apply.
Remove the SoftThinks Agent service
- Programs and Features can be accessed through the Control Panel.
- Click Dell Backup and Recovery on the left side of the screen.
- Your computer can be completely removed by clicking Uninstall.
- Your computer needs to be rebooted.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Softthinks Agent Service?
Softthinks Agent Service is a backup utility from Dell Inc. that is built into many Dell laptops and computers. Its main function is to regularly back up existing files and programs. The reason why this utility consumes so many resources is that it backs up existing files on your computer.
How do I fix the SoftThinks Agent Service?
- Disable the SoftThinks Agent Service
- Uninstall the SoftThinks Agent Service
Should I disable the Softthinks Agent service?
Since this utility is not a system service, it is only suitable for Dell customers. So unless you have a specific purpose, you can disable it and even remove it from your computer.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.