“Kodi keeps crashing or not working”? Are you having problems with your Kodi app on Windows 10? No matter what technical problem you are facing, you are in the right place!
First of all, you should know that our Techquack team has been using Kodi daily for several years. Because we love to dive into this app and test its capabilities, we’ve run into several “Kodi crashes or doesn’t work” issues.
In other words, you can be sure we know how to fix the “Kodi keeps crashing or not working” problem on Windows 10. So, let’s talk about what to do if Kodi doesn’t work. We’ll look at a lot of issues, as you can see in the table of contents below.
Without further ado, let’s get to what you really want to know. Here is a description of what to do if Kodi doesn’t work, as well as many possible solutions.
What causes “Kodi to crash or not work” on Windows 10
After we saw the problem increase dramatically, we started researching and found out that the problem occurs for several different reasons. Not all of them may be applicable in your case, as each computer’s configuration is different. Here are some of the causes:
Graphics driver: If your graphics driver is outdated or corrupt, your computer won’t be able to display everything correctly. This is why you should always update your graphics drivers.
Outdated software: Another major cause of malfunctions is an outdated version of Kodi. Every update brings bug fixes and new improvements, so it’s important to keep it up to date.
Hardware acceleration: Kodi has hardware acceleration and uses it to improve video quality. However, sometimes this system can crash and fail. When it crashes, the game crashes as well.
Damaged add-ons: Since add-ons are developed by third-party developers, there are many cases where an add-on is not compatible with your Kodi. Disabling them can solve the problem of crashes.
Firewall: Kodi is a streaming application, so it communicates directly with the Internet and must go through a firewall. If access is not granted, it may fail to connect and crash.
Make sure you are logged in as an administrator before proceeding with the solutions. Also, have an active internet connection as you will be downloading Kodi.
How to Solve the “Kodi doesn’t work or crashes” problem in Windows 10
Update Kodi to the latest version
If Kodi keeps crashing, it may be due to software bugs. You should update Kodi to the latest version and see if this is the cause of your problem.
- Download the latest version of Kodi to your computer.
- Open the downloaded file and follow the instructions on the screen to install Kodi.
- Launch Kodi and check that it works correctly now.
Turn off the firewall
- In the Windows search bar, type Windows Firewall and open it.
- In the left pane, click Enable or Disable Windows Firewall.
- Turn off the Windows firewall. Be sure to do this for both private and public networks.
- Confirm your selection.
- Now restart your computer and turn the firewall back on.
The Windows Firewall is another feature that can negatively affect applications and cause updates to suspend and crash.
After an update, the Windows firewall can block the Kodi app, which can cause applications to fail. You should temporarily disable it, but be sure to re-enable it once the application problem is resolved.
If the problem persists, use the following workarounds.
- Open Settings on the Start menu.
- Go to the Applications section.
- Click on Applications and Features.
- Click on the malfunctioning application, and under Advanced Options, click Reset.
- Restart your computer and try running the app again.
Updates not only change applications, but also the way the system runs them. And this can cause the application to crash and malfunction.
Check the time and date
- Right-click the time/date on the taskbar and open Configure Date/Time.
- Make sure that your time zone is set correctly.
- On the Internet Time tab, click Change Settings.
- Uncheck Synchronize with Internet Time Server and click OK.
- Now on the Date and Time tab, set the time and date to your liking.
- Imagine that you are a time traveler and selected the wrong date and time.
- Click OK.
- Go back to the Internet Time tab and click Change Settings.
- Select the Synchronize with Internet Time Server check box and click Update Now.
Although this step seems simple, an incorrect time or date can cause many problems with the Kodi app. In addition, it is not uncommon for updates to change the time and date settings. So be sure to check your time and date settings and turn on the system’s automatic time setting.
Disable hardware acceleration
Hardware acceleration has been known to cause Kodi to malfunction. To check this, try disabling hardware acceleration in Kodi:
- Click on the gear icon to go to the settings menu.
- Click on Player Settings.
- In the bottom left corner, triple-click the gear icon to change the mode from Standard to Expert.
- Highlight the Video tab, then in the Processing section on the right, uncheck Allow Hardware Acceleration -DXVA2.
- Restart Kodi and verify that Kodi is now running.
Frequently Asked Questions
If this solves your crashing problem, try updating it by clicking on the gear icon on the Kodi home screen, then System Preferences. Then scroll down to the Add-ons tab and click on Manage Dependencies. Click on URLResolver, then Update.
Again, if it's a problem with the Kodi version, the only solution is to uninstall and reinstall Kodi. If you're not using the build, but the Kodi addons aren't working, the first thing to do is check your internet connection. Make sure your device is connected to the Internet.
On Android, go to the app, select Kodi, then Force Close. On Windows, select Ctrl -> Alt -> Del and force close it from there.
- Restart everything.
- Determine your internet speed.
- Try another streaming service.
- Check the connection speed of your streaming device.
- Check the connection speed of your modem.
- Check the connection speed of your Wi-Fi router.
- Consider a new streaming device.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.