- The error code “NET CERT SYMANTEC LEGACY” is an SSL certificate error and occurs when you try to visit certain websites.
- This problem usually occurs for one of two reasons: either the wrong date and time on your system or a corrupt DNS configuration in your network profile.
- Chrome versions newer than version 66 no longer accept old Symantec certificates.
Due to Google Chrome’s disbelief in Symantec certificates issued before June 1, 2016, the NET::ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY error appears. This is 2021, and five years in the Internet are a long time. This error is unlikely to happen anytime soon since Symantec has sold its CA business to Digicert and no longer issues SSL certificates. It may occur in the following circumstances:
When you try to access certain websites, you might get an error message called “NET CERT SYMANTEC LEGACY.” Don’t worry about it. You usually see this problem either as a result of a corrupt DNS configuration in your network profile or because of an incorrect date and time on your system.
What causes NET CERT SYMANTEC LEGACY error in Chrome?
Google Chrome displays the error message NET::ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY when visiting a website? In other words, it is an SSL Certificate error message. Google Chrome shows the error message because it does not trust or recognize the Symantec SSL/TLS privacy certificate of the website.
The browser version does not accept old security certificates: Please note that Chrome versions newer than version 66 no longer accept old Symantec certificates. If you want to use Chrome, you need to uninstall the current version of Chrome and upgrade to an older version that does not reject older Symantec security certificates.
Symantec Blue Coat Wasn T Installed Properly
This error occurs intermittently to multiple end users. I suspect it has something to do with a certificate issue. However, I’m not sure how to prove it. I know very little about proxy servers. I think one of our proxy servers has a problem.
Incorrect time and date: It turns out that one of the most common causes of this problem for some Internet users is incorrect time and date. If the date and time are not correct, the security certificate cannot be verified. In this case, you can solve the problem by making sure that the date, time, and time zone are set to the correct values so that the security certificate will be accepted.
How to resolve the NET CERT SYMANTEC LEGACY error in Chrome?
Symantec Blue Coat Wasn’t Installed Properly
Several web proxy programs, including BlueCoat, are failing to support TLS.
Because Chrome version 66 automatically distrusts Legacy Symantec certificates, it is the Chrome browser that causes this error.
Webmasters (to hide the warning message from Chrome): If Web::ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY is present, it indicates the site is using a no longer supported Symantec certificate.
Check the date and time settings in Windows 10
- The clock on the taskbar can be accessed by double-clicking it.
- You can do this by pressing Windows + S.
- The search tool can be accessed by typing in the keyword Date.
- Open the settings by selecting Date and time.
- In case this setting is disabled, enable the option Set time automatically.
- Remove the checkbox for Set time automatically if it has been selected.
- Click Edit when you are finished.
- Date and time should be entered correctly.
- Select Edit.
Disabling Chrome extensions
- The Google Chrome Configuration and Management button will appear.
- Tools and extensions for advanced users can be selected.
- All browser extensions should be turned off.
Disabling anti-virus utilities
There is a possibility that third-party antivirus programs can lead to the ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY error.
- Third-party antivirus utilities should be temporarily disabled.
- The antivirus icon in your taskbar can usually be disabled by right-clicking it.
- Then disable your antivirus program in Chrome and open the same site.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to fix security certificate errors in Chrome
- Update the date and time on your computer.
- Use Chrome in incognito mode.
- Remove Chrome extensions.
- Delete website cookies.
- Delete Chrome cache files.
- Turn off SSL scanning in antivirus programs.
- Reset your Google Chrome settings.
- Contact your website administrator.
How do I fix the certificate error?
- Diagnose the problem with an online tool.
- Install an intermediate certificate on your web server.
- Create a new certificate signing request.
- Switch to a dedicated IP address.
- Obtain an SSL certificate with a wildcard.
- Change all URLs to HTTPS.
- Update your SSL certificate.
What causes certificate errors?
It often means that a security certificate was obtained or used by a fraudulent site. The address of this site does not match the address on the security certificate. The website is using a certificate issued to a different web address.
What is NET CERT SYMANTEC LEGACY?
The "NET::ERR_CERT_SYMANTEC_LEGACY" error is usually accompanied by the message "This connection is not private". This error usually occurs because Google Chrome no longer recognizes the Symantec SSL / TLS certificate issued before June 1, 2016.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.