If you have encountered a “Steam 51 error code” on your Windows 10/11 computer when trying to run a game installed via the Steam game engine, you are in the right place to find a solution. Here are simple steps/methods to solve the problem. Let’s start the discussion.
What causes Steam error code 51?
- This error can also be caused by corrupted Steam client configuration files.
- The lack of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable can also cause this error.
- This error can be the result of corrupted or missing game files, making it impossible to launch the game.
- Another reason for this error can be conflicts with third-party applications. This is especially true for your antivirus program, as it can block processes related to Steam and cause error 51.
How to fix the Steam 51 error code?
Uninstall third-party applications
- Press Windows + R, type “Appwiz.CPL” in the dialog box, and press Enter.
- When the App Manager is open, browse through all the apps and find the ones that you think the conflict with Steam.
- When you find the application, right-click on it and select Uninstall.
- Reboot your computer and see if the error message has been fixed.
Update the video card driver
- Press Windows + R, type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialog box and press Enter.
- In Device Manager, expand the Display Adapters category, right-click on the graphics hardware, and select Update Driver.
- You can use Windows Update to automatically install the latest drivers or manually go to the manufacturer’s website and select the second option after downloading the file.
- Restart the game after updating the drivers and check if the error message has been fixed.
Check the integrity of the game files
- Open the Steam app and click on Games in the top bar.
- Now select A. Black in the left column, right-click it and select Properties.
- In Properties, click on the Local Files category and select Check game file integrity.
- Now, wait for the process to complete.
- Restart your computer after the check is complete, then restart L.A. Noire.
- Make sure that the game launches as expected.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Update your Steam files.
- Disable your antivirus.
- Update the graphics drivers.
- Remove any conflicting third-party applications.
- Install DirectX and Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable manually.
- Reconfigure the game.
- Check the integrity of the game files.
Users get an error code 51 with the message "The game could not be launched" when trying to run a game installed through the Steam game engine. This is a common problem that usually means there is an external problem preventing the game from launching.
- Make sure your connection is working.
- Activate Steam through the Windows firewall.
- Reinstall Steam.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.