The error “The program cannot be run because the steam_api64.dll file is missing on your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem” occurs when the Steam client cannot find the mentioned DLL file in the installation folder. DLL files are necessary for the application to work properly and without problems, and some DLL files are part of the framework of the application.
What causes ‘Steam_api64.dll Is Missing’?
Errors related to steam_api64.dll may occur due to different reasons. For example: a broken application, steam_api64.dll has been removed or misplaced, corrupted by malware on your PC, or the Windows registry is corrupted.
How to solve the “steam_api64.dll is missing” problem?
Check the game files in Steam
- Right-click on the Steam client application icon and select “Run as administrator”.
- Go to “Library,” right-click the game that caused the error, and select “Properties.
- In the “Properties” window, click the “Local Files” tab, then click “Check game file integrity”.
- Then restart the game and check if the problem is resolved.
Copy steam_api64.dll file from another computer
- Open a command prompt as administrator, type the command “control /name Microsoft.System” and press Enter to run it.
- Make sure that the Windows editions and system types on the two computers are identical.
- On the other computer, open File Explorer and go to ‘C: ProgramSteam’.
- In the folder that opens, find the file steam_api64.dll and copy it to the USB drive.
- Now go to the ‘Steam’ installation folder on your computer, paste the copied file there and check if the error is fixed.
Uninstall the game and then reinstall it
- Open the Steam client on your Windows computer and go to the ‘Library’ section.
- Right-click on the game and then on “Uninstall” to remove the game that caused the error.
- Now in the Steam client, go to the “Store” tab, find the game you uninstalled, click “Play Now”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, check to see if the error has been resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Check the game files.
- Reinstall the game.
- Restore the file steam_api64.dll.
- Copy the same file from another computer.
- Update device drivers.
- Run the built-in system file checker to replace missing or damaged operating system files.
- Run the DISM tool and restore a Windows system image and repair corrupted Windows component memory.
- Repair or reinstall the software if the application is causing this error.
- Restart your computer.
- Restore the deleted DLL file from the Recycle Bin.
- Recover deleted DLL file using free file recovery software.
- Run a system-wide virus/malware scan.
- Use System Restore to undo the last changes made to the system.
The error "The program cannot be started because of the file steam_api64. dll is missing from your computer. A missing file usually indicates that DirectX is not installed on your computer or that the DLL file was deleted by a user or application.