The “Disk Overload” error in uTorrent is often caused by incorrect settings of the program, particularly the uTorrent cache settings. In some cases, this error occurs for about a minute and then disappears on its own.
However, several users have reported that the problem persists for more than a minute and they cannot continue downloading torrent files using the uTorrent client.
Today, we are going to show you some tips and tricks that you can use on your computer to fix the “uTorrent Disk Overloaded” error in Windows.
What causes the “uTorrent Disk Overloaded” error?
- The main reason why uTorrent users face the “Disk Overloaded” error in uTorrent is that the client downloads and uploads songs inconsistently. Such a transfer is very different from a local transfer and puts much more strain on the hard drive, which has to read and write hundreds of random file fragments at the same time.
- The most common cause of this problem is the way that uTorrent loads data inconsistently. This approach puts a lot of stress on the hard drive because it has to write hundreds of chunks at the same time, which leads to random errors.
- Another common scenario for this problem is when partial file mode is enabled, causing the disk to skip a large number of files. This problem has been fixed in newer versions, but if you don’t want to upgrade, you can get around the problem by going into advanced settings and setting it to false.
How to troubleshoot the “uTorrent Disk Overloaded” error?
Set Diskio.use_partfile to False
- Using the above method, go to the Settings menu.
- In the Settings menu, click the Advanced tab in the left pane.
- Go to Filter, paste the text diskio.use_partfile and press Enter to find the value.
- You can then find the name you want, double-click it and change the value from True to False.
- Click Apply to save your changes.
Increasing the size of the base cache
- Open the Settings menu again and go to the Advanced section in the left pane.
- Click the Disk Cache tab and select the Override automatic cache size checkbox to set the size manually.
- Change the Disk Cache value to 512 or 1024 MB/s and click Apply to save your changes.
Enable preallocation of all files
- Launch the uTorrent client and go to the toolbar at the top.
- Click on the Options section and select Settings from the drop-down menu.
- On the left side, select the General section, and on the right side under When downloading, select the Preassign all files checkbox.
- Click Apply to complete this operation.
- Now you can restart the uTorrent client and check if the “uTorrent Disk Cache Overloaded” error has been fixed.
Frequently Asked Questions
The "Hard Disk Overload" error in uTorrent occurs when the download speed reaches a certain threshold. This puts a lot of stress on the hard drive as it is forced to write hundreds of chunks at a time, which leads to random errors.
- Reboot your system.
- Update Windows.
- Scan for malware.
- Disable Windows search.
- Stop the Superfetch service.
- Change the power settings from Balanced to High Performance.
- Temporarily disable antivirus software.
The pre-distribution feature is only really useful the first time you download a torrent with a large number of files. You can select the files you want to download on the first screen before you start the torrent, and the program creates files on your hard drive to reserve space for the download.
- Reboot your computer.
- Turn on file pre-assignment in uTorrent.
- Disable diskio. use_partfile in uTorrent.
- Configure the disk cache in uTorrent.
- Update the uTorrent client.