Hulu’s subscription streaming service allows you to add up to six profiles to a single account. The primary profile is that of the account holder.
Although the service’s interface is fairly intuitive, errors are common. For profiles, the most common error is “We encountered an error when switching profiles”.
Please note that the aforementioned profile-related error also occurs when only one primary profile is associated with a given subscription. It can also occur on all devices that support the Hulu service.
Which causes the error message “We Encountered an Error When Switching Profiles” on Hulu?
Facebook account is linked to an old Hulu account: Another case that causes this error is when the Hulu servers detect that the Facebook account you use to log in to your current account was also used for your old account. If this scenario applies, you can solve the problem by disconnecting the Facebook account from the old Hulu account.
Cached data related to Hulu: One of the most common causes of this error is a conflict between the Hulu account data currently stored in your browser. If you encounter this problem on your PC, you can resolve it by opening the streaming service in incognito mode (private window) in your preferred browser.
Suspending or blocking your account: In some cases, the error you see may be caused by some restrictions imposed by Hulu support because of a violation of their ToS. In this case, your only hope of resolving the problem is to contact Hulu support.
The conflict caused by activated devices: If your Hulu account is activated on multiple devices from locations where Hulu is not officially supported, streaming through the Hulu servers may be interrupted on the entire account. In this case, you can solve the problem by deleting all unused devices in the Manage Devices menu.
How to resolve the “We encountered an error when switching profiles” error message on Hulu?
Check for Windows updates
You should check for Windows updates. Windows updates can help you solve many system problems and errors. If you encounter the message “There was an error when switching profiles”, you can try installing the latest Windows updates. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Settings.
- In the Settings window, select Update and security.
- In the Windows Update section, click Check for updates to check for new updates.
- Windows will then check for updates. Simply follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
- After installing the latest Windows updates, restart your computer and check for the “Profile Change Error Occurred” error message.
Check for the latest Hulu update
- Open the Google Play store.
- Go to Menu -> My apps and games -> Hulu -> Update.
- Launch Firestick and go to Home.
- Go to “Your apps and games” and find the Hulu app.
- Click on More Options and select More Info.
- Open the latest version, if available.
- A pop-up window will appear, click Yes to update the Hulu app.
Uninstalling and reinstalling Hulu
- Simply uninstall the Hulu app from your device and reinstall it.
- After that, start Hulu and check if the “Profile Switching Error Occurred” problem has been resolved.
Frequently Asked Questions
First, you must close Hulu (and any other applications or programs running in the background) completely, and then try opening Hulu again. Then turn off your device, your modem, and your router. Then wait a few minutes and restart your device. If the "Hulu profile change error occurred" the problem persists.
Profiles are supported on all devices with the latest version of the Hulu app. If you are using a device that still has the classic Hulu app installed, you will not be able to create or use profiles.
- Go to the account icon.
- Select Profiles from the menu.
- Scroll to and select the profile you want to switch to.
Hulu has announced that users can now create multiple profiles on the company's site. Other devices will support profiles in the coming weeks, but for now, this feature is limited to Hulu.com. Each account can manage up to six individual profiles, storing each user's viewing history and watch list.