When installing or configuring different editions and versions of the Windows operating system on your computer, various errors may occur. One such error is the “Windows failed to complete system configuration” error.
Windows was unable to complete the system configuration. To try to continue configuring, restart your computer.
What is the cause of “Windows failed to complete system configuration”?
After some research on the Internet, we found that this error message occurs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 operating systems when the original operating system contains a registry key that is larger than 8 kilobytes (KB). A fix for this problem is available from Microsoft and must be applied before running the `sysprep` command. The fix is already included in Windows 7 SP1 systems.
We also found that the “Windows failed to complete system configuration” error can also occur when you reinstall your Windows 7 operating system.
How to troubleshoot the “Windows failed to complete system configuration” error?
You may be surprised to learn that the solution to this particular error is quite simple. You need to use the msoobe utility, which is essentially a utility to activate your Windows operating system. You can easily bypass the error message using the utility.
- When the error message appears, hold down the Shift key and press F10.
- Then type the following command at the command prompt, which will change your directory:
- After that you need to run the msoobe file, just type in the name of the file :
- After that, a Windows installation should appear. Select all the settings, following the instructions on the screen.
- Then wait for the system to complete the settings.
- Finally, just reboot the system and that’s it. Your problem should now be solved.