As with other software, it is not uncommon to have problems with Discord. So you may wonder, “What should I do if I can’t install Discord on Windows 10?” This is a question many people have been asking themselves lately. Of course, you are not the only one who has faced this problem. Many users have reported receiving an “Installation Failed” error message when trying to add Discord to their computer.
It should be noted that Discord can encounter various problems, and most of them are related to corrupted files. Finally, Windows 10 updates have been known to disrupt new programs that users add to their computers. Update files can conflict with internal Discord packages. When you try to uninstall and reinstall the application, you may get an error message.
What causes the ‘Installation failed’ problem on Discord?
The ‘Discord installation failed’ error message is usually caused by corrupted Windows files or service packs that conflict with Discord. If Discord installation failed on your site, it is most likely because the application is still running in the background.
Whatever the reason, this article provides various solutions to fix Discord Installation Failed in Windows 10.
How to repair the Discord ‘Installation failed’ error?
Terminate the Discord process
- Use the following key combination: Ctrl+Alt+Del, then select Task Manager.
- In the Background Processes section, find the entry associated with Discord.
- Select it and click the End Task button. If there are multiple instances, you need to select them one by one.
Run the installation as an administrator
- Press the Windows key and type Discord.exe.
- Then right-click on the first result and select Run as administrator.
- If UAC is requested, select Yes.
Remove a Windows Update
- Press Windows + I to open Windows Settings.
- Click on Update and security.
- Go to Windows Update and select Show Update History.
- Click on the first option, Remove Updates.
- You can remove certain Windows updates from here.
Uninstall the previous Discord app
- Press the Windows key, type Control Panel and open it.
- In the View by option, which is in the right-hand corner, switch to Small Icons.
- Select Programs and Features.
- In the list of programs, find Discord, highlight it and select Uninstall.
- Restart your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Make sure your device has enough memory.
- Run Windows Update several times.
- Check for third-party drivers and download any updates.
- Disable any additional hardware.
- Check the Device Manager for errors.
- Uninstall third-party security programs.
- Fix hard drive errors.
- Perform a clean Windows reboot.
If Discord installation fails in your location, it is usually because the application is still running in the background. You may need to completely remove the tool from your computer before installing it again. Deleting all old files associated with the application can eliminate the "Discord installation failed" error.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc key combination to quickly open the application.
- Click on the "Process" tab, find the Discord app, and click on it.
- You can then restart Discord and see if it opens and works properly.
- Follow the troubleshooting procedure for installing and uninstalling programs.
- Delete the local data of the Discord application.
- Install the latest version of .NET Framework.
- Perform a clean boot and run the Discord installer.
- Temporarily disable the AV software.
- Install Discord application in safe mode.