Microsoft Outlook is one of the main email clients used to send and receive emails. It is used in various organizations to handle large amounts of email data. Sometimes due to the workload, Outlook encounters corruption problems. This will cause Outlook to malfunction and cause other errors such as Outlook error 0X8004060C.
Therefore, it is recommended to fix this error immediately to prevent further problems with Outlook. In this article, you will find all the necessary steps to fix this error. If you go through the whole guide, you will learn a lot.
What causes the Outlook error 0x8004060c?
- Outdated Outlook: Microsoft adds new features and improvements to Outlook by releasing software updates. If your version of Outlook is outdated, you may run into a lot of problems.
- Damaged PST/OST file: If PST/OST files contain different types of important Outlook data and these files are corrupt, it may cause Outlook to display the current problem.
- Cache mode synchronization problems: In cache mode, Outlook keeps a local copy of user data. If Outlook is having problems synchronizing with Microsoft Exchange Server in cached mode, it may cause the following error.
- The maximum PST file size has been reached: The PST file is the backbone of Outlook communication. If your PST file has reached the maximum size, it may cause an error 0x8004060c.
How to repair the Outlook error 0x8004060c?
Delete unnecessary emails
Attempt to delete unnecessary emails that waste disk space.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and select multiple emails.
- Then press the Delete button to delete them.
Compressing the size of PST
- In Outlook, click File and About.
- Click Account Settings to open the settings window.
- Then click on the Data Files tab.
- Select the PST file to compress.
- Click the Settings button.
- In the Outlook Data File window, click Compress Now.
Recovering PST files with Scanpst.exe
Recovering corrupted PST files with the Scanpst utility (otherwise known as Outlook Inbox Repair Tool) can also fix the 0x8004060c error.
- Press the Windows + E key combination. This will open File Explorer.
- Then open the MS Office folder in Explorer. The default path for MS Office looks something like C: Programs (x86)Microsoft OfficeootOffice16.
- Click SCANPST.EXE to open the window.
- Click Browse to select the Outlook PST file to restore.
- Click Start to start scanning.
- Then click the Restore button.
Reducing Mailbox Size
Outlook 2019 and ’16 users can try reducing mailbox size to fix error 0x8004060c using the Mailbox Cleanup utility.
- Click on Files and Tools to open the options.
- Click Clear Inbox.
- Select the Auto Archive option to archive more emails.
Frequently Asked Questions
In general, a corrupted PST file is considered the root cause of most common Outlook error messages. Although Microsoft provides the Inbox Repair tool to repair a PST file, it may not work if the damage is severe.
- Disable the Windows firewall and antivirus program.
- Check for suspicious emails.
- Fix your Outlook email settings.
- Delete the Outbox folder and change the server timeout.
- Run Outlook in safe mode.
- Use a special recovery program for Outlook.
- Delete unnecessary emails.
- Reduce the size of the mailbox.
- Compress the size of the PST.
- Recreate OST file with Outlook data.
- Recover PST files with Scanpst.exe.