Samsung Data Migration is a popular tool for cloning the Windows operating system and other data from an existing hard drive to a new Samsung SSD. But sometimes it doesn’t work as expected.
As many users report, Samsung Data Migration sometimes fails when cloning and reports “clone failed” with various error codes or messages. In this Techquack article, you will learn how to fix Samsung Data Migration clone failure.
What causes Samsung Data Migration clone failure in Windows 10?
Samsung Data Migration tool may fail when cloning a hard drive due to access restrictions imposed by UAC or BitLocker. In addition, bad sectors on the hard drive or important operating system files (such as swap files or banned files) on the drive can also cause this error.
The user encounters the error when attempting to clone a hard drive using the Samsung Data Migration application. The problem affects almost all types of hard drives (SSDs and HDDs) of varying capacities. The problem is reported to occur on almost all makes and models of PCs.
Before proceeding with solutions, please make sure you are using the latest version of Samsung Data Migration. Also, try using a SATA (not SATA to USB) cable to connect the drives to the system.
How to solve the “Cloning failed” error in Samsung Data Migration?
Turn off Hibernation mode
- Press Win+R to launch the Run dialog box.
- Type cmd in the Run text box and click OK.
- Then type powercfg /hibernate off at the command prompt and press Enter.
- Log in as a Windows administrator.
- Then open Run by pressing the Windows + R key combination.
- Enter Control Panel in the Open field and click OK.
- In the Control Panel, click System and Security.
- Select BitLocker Drive Encryption to open additional options.
- Click the Disable BitLocker option.
- Click the Disable BitLocker button.
- On the Windows 10 taskbar, click Enter here to search.
- Then type the command prompt in the search box.
- Right-click the command prompt and select Run as administrator from the context menu.
- Enter this command: chkdsk /f C:
- Then press Enter to start scanning.
Disable automatic page sorting
- Press the Windows Key + E key combination.
- Then right-click on that computer on the left side of File Explorer and select Properties.
- Click Advanced System Settings to open the window.
- In the Performance window, click Settings.
- Then in the Performance Settings window, select the Advanced tab.
- Click the Edit button.
- Uncheck Automatically manage swap file size for all drives.
- Finally, select the No paging file option.
- Click the OK button in the window.
- Select the Apply option and click OK to exit.
Frequently Asked Questions
The migration process may be blocked due to a loss of connection. In most cases, this is caused by a faulty SATA USB cable or adapter. Try connecting your Samsung SSD to your computer with a built-in cable instead of a SATA to USB cable. Or try using a different SATA cable and a different SATA connector.
With its user-friendly interface and powerful features, you can also run Samsung Data Migration on Windows 10 for better performance. To migrate Windows 10 to Samsung SSD, this free cloning software offers you two functions: operating system migration to SSD/HD and disk copying.
This is probably because Samsung Data Migration is a simple cloning tool, and it has some limitations, namely, it is only applicable to clone data on Samsung SSDs. Samsung Data Migration cannot clone multiple partitions, it can only clone 2 partitions at most. It can only move the system hard drive.
No. Samsung Data Migration software is designed and distributed exclusively for owners of Samsung solid-state drives (SSDs). When you clone the contents of the source drive (e.g. hard drive), all data on the target drive (Samsung SSD) is erased and cannot be recovered.