There are several errors that players may encounter when trying to play Minecraft. One such error is the “Unable to save download” error, which prevents players from playing the game. This error mostly occurs when players try to play Minecraft after an update, but it can occur at other times as well.
Usually, players get a message right after this error occurs. This message will say “Unable to save download”. More often than not, a random game file is also displayed next to the above words. The reasons for this problem are numerous, and it is actually quite common. Just try one of the following approaches and you can enjoy Minecraft again.
What causes the Minecraft error `Unable to save download`?
It turns out that one of the most common culprits of the “Unable to Save Download” error is a third-party program called ByteFence and Reason Security. It’s a legitimate anti-malware program, but Minecraft users report that it conflicts quite a bit with Minecraft.
It turns out that this problem could also be the result of a permissions issue caused by the Minecraft app not working with administrator access. This problem has been confirmed by several victims, and it seems that the game requires administrator access to download and overwrite game files.
How to solve the “Unable to Save Download” error in Minecraft?
Run Minecraft as an administrator
When downloading Minecraft updates, you will need permission to make changes to your hard drive in order to save the update files. However, it is possible that Minecraft does not have these permissions, causing the update to fail.
To solve this problem, you can try running the application as an administrator to give it full administrative rights on your system. The following steps will show you how to do this:
- On your computer, right-click the Minecraft app.
- Then click the Properties button.
- In the properties, click on the Compatibility tab.
- Finally, make sure that the option “Run this program as an administrator” is checked. Click Ok to save your changes.
- Then restart the Minecraft app and try updating the game to see if the “Unable to save download” error message still appears on your system.
Turn off the Windows Firewall
As in the scenario above, it’s possible that your Windows firewall is limiting the Internet connection for the Minecraft app because it uses a lot of bandwidth. If your firewall is blocking Minecraft’s access to the Internet, it won’t be able to connect to the servers to download the update.
To solve this problem, you can try temporarily disabling the Windows firewall while the update is downloaded to your computer.
- Press the Windows + S keys on your keyboard and look for Windows Firewall.
- Now click Open to launch the Windows Defender Firewall menu.
- After that, click on Enable or Disable Windows Defender on the side menu.
- Finally, select Disable Windows Defender Firewall and click OK to save your changes.
- After disabling the firewall, go back to Minecraft and try updating it again to see if the bug is already fixed on your computer.
If none of the above methods helped solve the Minecraft update problem, the last thing you can do is to reinstall the entire game on your computer. This way, you can install the latest version of Minecraft and make sure you have a fresh and working copy of the program.
- On the computer, press Windows + R to open the Run command window.
- After that, type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- Now scroll down and find Minecraft in the list of programs installed on your computer.
- Finally, right-click on Minecraft and select Uninstall.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to uninstall the program from your computer.
- Once this is done, go to the official Minecraft website and download the latest version of the game.
- You can now play the latest version of Minecraft on your computer.
Reboot your computer
This solution may seem like a one-size-fits-all solution, or you may be wondering if a simple reboot can solve the update problem in Minecraft.
Restarting your computer allows the operating system to reload all of its resources that may not have been loaded when you first opened your computer.
- Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start menu.
- Then press the Power key to open the Power Options menu.
- Finally, press Restart to start the process.
- After restarting your computer, return to Minecraft and try updating it again to see if the “Unable to save download” error message has been fixed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check Windows Update and install the latest updates. Sometimes Microsoft releases patches for the store infrastructure through Windows Update. Try downloading again. If that doesn't work, reset your software distribution folder and try again.
Firewalls and anti-virus software can sometimes cause installation problems. If you're having problems installing Minecraft, you should temporarily disable these types of programs and then reinstall the game.
If you try to start Minecraft and get an error message that starts with Unable to save download, or if you see the error org. lwjgl. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus and firewall, load Minecraft again, and select "Fix" when prompted. Then try logging in again.
Sometimes the "Directory name is invalid" error message occurs simply because you plugged external devices into a non-functional USB port. You can disconnect them and plug them into a different port to see if that solves the "Directory name is not valid" problem.