Skype is an important but sometimes annoying application. Although Microsoft has improved the problems reported by Skype users over the years, some known issues remain unresolved. An error occurs – Unable to load directory results.
This error occurs when the user tries to search for contacts. Since most conversations are retrieved from contacts stored in Skype, this error can lead to interruptions in service.
What causes the “Unable to load directory results” message in Skype?
Incorrect signal: The integrity of the connection may be compromised due to temporary disconnection during the connection. This problem is quite common and can be solved by repeating the process.
Cache: A cache is stored by each application on the computer to reduce the load time. However, over time, this cache can get corrupted and cause problems with the application. The same is true for Skype.
Connectivity issues: This error is usually caused by the application being unable to connect to a server. This problem may be caused by a slow internet connection or because the Windows firewall denies access to the application.
Shared.xml file: This is another file that is stored in the Skype application and has been known to cause problems with the application. This file is easily recreated by the application when deleted, so replacing the file can sometimes solve the problem.
Damaged application: In some cases, the application may be corrupted due to missing files, or even if the files are intact, you may have problems downloading these files correctly.
How to solve the “Unable to load directory results” problem in Skype?
- Open the Start menu and click the Settings icon.
- In Settings, select the “Applications” option.
- Select “Applications and Features” on the right side.
- Find the “Skype” application in the list of applications and click on it.
- Click the “Uninstall” button that appears below the app name.
- Click “Uninstall” again.
- Click the “Next” button on the installation and it will automatically uninstall Skype and all of its components from your computer.
- Download Skype from the Microsoft Store and install it.
- Launch the app and see if the problem persists.
Try logging in again
- Click on the “Menu” option in the upper right corner of the left pane.
- Select “Logout” from the drop-down menu.
- Log in again with your credentials.
- Check if the “Skype cannot download directory results” error is still occurring.
Make sure that Skype is not blocked by the firewall
- Press the Windows + R keys to open the startup window.
- Type “ms-settings:privacy-calendar” and press Enter.
- Click on the Start menu and open the Settings icon.
- Click on the “Update and Security” option.
- In the left pane, select the “Windows Security” option.
- Click on “Allow application through firewall”.
- Click “Change Settings” to assign administrative rights.
- Scroll down and check that Skype is allowed on “private” and “public” networks.
- Click “OK.”
- Close all instances of the Skype application.
- In the Windows search box, type “Run.”
- At the “Run” prompt, type “%appdata%” and press Enter.
- Delete the “Skype” folder in the data folder of the application that opens.
- Open the Run prompt again.
- Type “%temp%” at the “Run” prompt.
- This will open a temporary files folder and delete any folders named “Skype”.
- Restart your computer.
- Check if the error message “Skype cannot load directory” still appears.