Steam is a digital distribution platform that offers many different games and apps. Steam users on Windows 11 or Windows 10 can quickly and easily find and use Steam friendship codes to add friends and play multiplayer games together as a “party”.
If you can’t add someone as a friend and instead get an “Add Friend Error” message, this article is designed to help you with the solution.
What causes the “Add Friend Error” message in Steam?
- Friend system failure: Steam’s friend system has been criticized in the past for being very flawed at times. This is still the case today, and an update to basic Steam features may help resolve this issue.
- Friend limit: Steam has also introduced a mechanism that limits the maximum number of friends (added and requested) you can have on your account.
- User blocked: If the user you want to add is blocked for your account, you will not be able to add them as a friend under any circumstances.
How to resolve the error when adding a “friend” on Steam?
Use the steam flush config command
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, type steam://flushconfig and press OK or Enter.
- Steam will now reset its settings and you’ll be able to add friends again.
Disable family sharing
- Launch Steam.
- Go to the Settings screen and open the Family tab.
- Select the Manage Other Computers button and disable all PCs.
Check to see if this user is blocked
- Open your Steam profile.
- Click on the Manage Friends link on the right side.
- Click on the Blocked Users tab.
- Find the blocked user and click on it.
- Click More and select Delete all messages.
- Finally, click Yes, Unblock to unblock the user.