Microsoft regularly releases Windows updates that also fix bugs from previous updates. But a new Windows update also brings new errors. And the 0xc000021a crash code is one of the most common errors that can occur. If you’re looking for ways to fix this error, you’ve come to the right place.
You will learn more about the possible causes of the 0xc000021a stop code error on your Windows PC and how to fix it. You will also learn how to recover data lost due to this error.
What causes the 0xc000021a error code?
- External devices are interfering with the operating system
- Corrupted Windows registry
- Damaged Winlogon.exe
- Deleted Csrss.exe file
- Malformed hardware drivers
- Incompatible software with the operating system
How to resolve error code 0xc000021a?
Check the state of your hard drive
- Open this computer or File Explorer.
- Right-click on the system partition and open Properties.
- Select the Tools tab.
- Click the Error Checker tool and wait for the operation to complete.
Start the SFC scan
- Right-click on the boot menu and start Command Prompt (Admin).
- At the command line, type the following command and press Enter:
- Wait for the scan to finish and look for improvements.
Updating via the operating system
- Download the Media Builder tool.
- Launch Media Builder and accept the license terms.
- Select Upgrade this PC and the download process should begin.
- Once the files are downloaded, Media Creation will begin the upgrade.
Recreate your startup disk with the original Windows
- Download the Media Creation tool.
- Launch the Media Creation tool and accept the license terms.
- Select Create installation media (USB drive, DVD, or ISO file) for another PC.
- Select the language, architecture, and edition you want.
- Click Next.
- Select the ISO file.
- Save the ISO file to the location of your choice and wait for the download to complete.
- Insert the DVD and use any third-party burning software to create a Windows 10 starter DVD.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Restart your computer by holding down the SHIFT key on your keyboard to access advanced boot options.
- Then select Troubleshooting from the computer screen.
- Under Troubleshooting -> Reset this PC (select).
- Go to Reset this PC -> Save My Files (select it).
Error 0xC000021A is a "blue screen of death" or BSoD error (related to "blue screen of death" instruction) that occurs when the Windows subsystem is affected in user mode.
While starting up, hold down the F8 key until the Windows logo appears. A menu will appear. Then release the F8 key. Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with networks if you need to use the Internet to solve the problem), then press Enter.
- Reboot your computer.
- Launch SFC and CHKDSK.
- Update to Windows 10.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.