0xc0000005 error is an error caused by an access violation. It means that every time a user tries to start a program, an error message appears if Windows cannot properly handle the files and configuration required to start that particular program.
This error can occur either for an installed program or for an installer of a specific program. This error ultimately blocks the normal functioning of the program. We will now try to eliminate the various possible causes that can cause this error to appear.
What causes the application error 0xc0000005?
The error occurs when you start a program installed on your Windows computer, such as Mozilla, VLC, Chrome browser, game, etc. Most often, reinstallation does not help to solve the problem because it is caused by some invalid, unsigned or incomplete DLL files that help the software to work on the Windows platform.
How to resolve the application error 0xc0000005?
Update your computer’s drivers
- Right-click the Start button and select Device Manager.
- Expand the category of drivers causing the problem (if you don’t know, do this for each device).
- Right-click on the device and select Update Driver.
- Select Automatically check for updated drivers.
- Wait for Windows to download and update the necessary drivers.
- Restart your computer.
- If you get no results, repeat the procedure for other devices (network adapter, display adapter, HID, etc.).
Check the functionality of your RAM
- In Windows search, type “memory” and press Enter.
- A pop-up window will appear.
- Select Reboot Now and check for problems (recommended).
- At this point, your computer will automatically reboot, followed by a full check.
Restart your computer
- Right-click on the Start button and select Settings -> Update and Security.
- Click Restore on the left side
- Under Reset this PC, click on First Steps
- Select Save My Files and follow the instructions on the screen.
Run the system file checker
- Type cmd in the Cortana search box.
- You should see a command line in the search results – right-click and select Run as administrator.
- When a new window opens, type the following line and press Enter
- Wait for Windows to complete the scan.
- If any type of system corruption is detected, the corrupted files will be restored automatically.
- Reboot your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) for the program.
- Disable the AppInit_DLLs mechanism in the Windows registry.
- Run a malware scan.
- Run a Windows memory diagnostic and replace the faulty RAM.
- Uninstall all current Windows updates or cancel all driver updates.
- Check the system files.
- Run Windows memory diagnostics.
- Restore the boot records.
- Turn off DEP or data execution prevention.
- Recover the registry.
- Check the RAM.
- Temporarily disable antivirus software.
The 0xc0000005 (access violation) application error is usually caused by your computer's inability to properly handle the files and settings needed to run a particular program or installation.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.