You want to display a complete list of network devices via the terminal, so run the command “net view/all” at the command line. The error message “System error 6118 has occurred” will appear.
This means that the list cannot be called and you get the message “Server list for this workgroup is not available”. This means that the units are not displayed.
What is the cause of the system error 6118 in CMD?
The computer view service is disabled: If the ‘net view’ command is not being handled by CMD, it is probably because the computer view service is disabled. This was part of SMBv1 and was deprecated in recent versions of Windows 10.
Function Discovery Service-disabled: If none of the connected devices appear on the Services screen, it is probably because the Function Discovery Provider Host service is disabled.
Interference from third-party AV/Firewall: It appears that this particular problem may be caused by an over secured security solution that creates interference between the Server Message Block and other devices on the network.
How to resolve the CMD system error 6118?
Deactivate the Windows Defender firewall
- Click Start and select Settings.
- Go to Update and Security.
- Click on Windows Security.
- Open Windows Firewall and Network Security.
- Open the currently active network.
- Scroll down to the Windows Firewall Defender section.
- Select the radio button to disable the Windows Defender firewall.
- When prompted to confirm the action, click Yes.
- Do the same with the other currently active networks.
Restarting the Discovery Provider Host
- Press Windows + R to open Run.
- Type services.MSC and click OK to open Services.
- In the Services window, find the Function Discovery Provider service.
- Right-click Function Discovery Provider and select Properties.
- Click the Stop button.
- The Stop Other Services window opens.
- When you stop the Function Discovery Provider service, the Function Discovery Resource Publication service is also automatically stopped.
- Click Yes to confirm and stop the service.
- Click the Start button.
- Click OK to save your changes.
- Close the Services window and try using the Net View command to see if this fixes the error.
Frequently Asked Questions