You have purchased a new ASUS laptop and are about to make a video call with your family or join an online meeting with your friends. However, the webcam isn’t working. Don’t worry, because we have a solution for you.
After updating Windows 10 or Windows 10, if your ASUS laptop’s internal webcam is not detected, the webcam driver is most likely the cause. You can reinstall the webcam driver or update the webcam driver to solve this problem.
Below is a complete list of solutions to webcam problems. Most of the time, these problems are software-related, but sometimes they can be caused by hardware issues.
Why doesn’t the built-in camera on my Asus laptop work?
If your laptop camera isn’t working or opening, or if you get an error message saying your laptop camera can’t be found or won’t start, it could be due to anti-virus software blocking the camera or an outdated webcam driver.
If this is the case, check your antivirus software and look for settings that block access or permission to use the webcam. You can also visit your antivirus software company’s website.
Solve the problem of the built-in camera on your Asus laptop that does not work
Check if your webcam is turned on
First of all, make sure that the camera is turned on and that applications can use it. Here’s how you do it:
- Open the Start menu and click Settings.
- In the “Settings” window, click on “Privacy.”
- Go to the left pane and select Camera.
- Make sure that “Let apps use my camera” is checked.
- Find the list of “Select apps that can use your camera”.
- Allow all apps to access your camera.
Finally, run the application you want to use to record video and make sure you can do it now.
Make sure it’s not a hardware error
ASUS’ built-in webcam may not be working properly. To check this, use the Windows 10 hardware diagnostic tool:
- Open the search bar (Windows logo key + S).
- Type `troubleshooting’ (without the quotes). Press the Enter key.
- Go to the upper left corner and press `Show All`.
- Select “Hardware and Devices” from the list and start troubleshooting.
If you have problems with your webcam, you’ll get a report about it. Then you should find solutions to those problems. If no hardware problems have been found, move on to the next thing.
Change your exposure settings
If you get a black screen every time your video recording app tries to access your webcam, it could be that your app settings are wrong. Change them to solve your video problems:
- Start your recording software.
- Go to the video settings.
- Go to “Exposure” and set it to “Automatic”.
Now check to see if this manipulation fixed your webcam video.
Update your operating system
Persistent black screen problems with your webcam may be a sign that your operating system needs an urgent update.
You can fix this by following these instructions:
- On the home screen, find the search box (or simply press the Windows logo + S on your keyboard).
- Type “update” (without the quotes) in the search box and wait until the Windows Update launch window opens.
- Look there to see if there are any updates waiting to be installed. Run them.
- If you don’t see any updates available, click the Check for Updates button. Your Windows will look for them online and install them on your computer.
Reboot your computer after the installation process and see if that helps. If it didn’t, or if your system is updated, move on – there are 4 other supposedly effective workarounds.
Reinstall the recording software
If your ASUS camera only displays a black screen when using a certain app, the software may be corrupt. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the application:
- On the home screen, find the Control Panel and click on it.
- Go to Programs and tap Programs and Features.
- Find the software and click Uninstall.
- Wait until the software is uninstalled and restart your computer.
- Finally, reinstall this application and see if you can use the webcam.
Update your drivers
In order to fix the ASUS webcam displaying a black screen in Windows 10, you need to fix your drivers. Most likely, your computer has a faulty or outdated webcam, graphics, and display drivers.
You can use the built-in Device Manager tool to get them working again:
- Click the Windows + X logo on your keyboard.
- Click on Device Manager.
- Find the driver you want to update and right-click on it.
- Select software update.
Remove the battery from the laptop
If the above methods didn’t help, try removing the battery from the laptop – many users have reported that this maneuver is an effective solution to Asus webcam problems.
Proceed as follows:
- Unplug the laptop from the power outlet.
- Remove the battery from the laptop.
- Press and hold the power button for at least 30 seconds. Repeat this process several times.
- Reinsert the battery into the notebook.
- Start the device normally.
Frequently Asked Questions
Right-click [Start Menu], then select [Device Manager]. Click the arrow next to the [Camera] arrow, then right-click [USB2]. If the camera problem persists after automatically updating the camera driver, click [Check for updated drivers on Windows Update].
- If there is a [F10 Camera Hotkey] on your computer keyboard, turn on the camera first.
- Press the F10 key on your keyboard or use the key combination.
- Check the webcam configuration in the Settings app.
- Deactivate the device in Device Manager and reactivate it.
- Enable the webcam in the BIOS or EUFI settings.
- Reinstall the webcam driver.
- Update the webcam driver.
- Reset the device driver.
- Update Windows.
If your camera doesn't work in Windows 10, it's possible that the drivers are missing after a recent update. It's also possible that your antivirus program is blocking your camera, your privacy settings don't allow access to your camera for certain apps, or there's a problem with the app you're trying to use.