- Many Steam players report that they get the error message “Unreal Engine crashes due to loss of D3D device” when playing games.
- It’s pretty annoying, but don’t worry.
- Techquack offers 4 solutions to the “D3D. device being lost” problem.
Mastering the art of seamless gameplay experience is a constant endeavor for game developers. However, encountering the notorious D3D Device Lost error while working with Unreal Engine can be a major setback. In this article, we explore effective solutions to fix this frustrating issue, ensuring uninterrupted gaming adventures for enthusiasts and developers alike.
Update Unreal Engine, device drivers, and graphics card preferences
To fix the “D3D Device Lost” error in Unreal Engine, follow these steps:
1. Update your device drivers: Outdated or incompatible drivers can cause this error. Visit your device manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card.
2. Update your graphics card preferences: Open Unreal Engine and go to the “Preferences” menu. Under the “General” tab, select “Device Profiles” and click on “Reset to Default”. This will ensure your graphics card settings are optimized for Unreal Engine.
3. Use Driver Easy for easy fixes: If you’re not confident in manually updating drivers, you can use a tool like Driver Easy. It will automatically scan your computer and recommend the correct driver updates for your system.
4. Avoid overclocking your graphics card: Overclocking can cause stability issues, including the “D3D Device Lost” error. Reset your graphics card settings to their default values to prevent this problem.
Remember to restart your computer after updating drivers or making changes to your graphics card preferences. These steps should help resolve the “D3D Device Lost” error and get you back to enjoying your games in Unreal Engine.
Verify and repair system files, check hardware
To verify and repair system files and check hardware, follow these steps:
1. Verify System Files:
– Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
– Type “cmd” and press Enter to open the Command Prompt.
– In the Command Prompt, type “sfc /scannow” and press Enter.
– Wait for the scan to complete and follow any on-screen instructions.
2. Check Hardware:
– Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
– Type “dxdiag” and press Enter to open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
– In the tool, click on the “Display” tab to view information about your video card.
– Ensure that your video card driver is up to date. If not, visit the manufacturer’s website to download the latest version.
By verifying system files and checking hardware, you can identify and fix any issues that may be causing the Unreal Engine D3D Device Lost error. These steps will help ensure a smoother gaming experience without any crashes or errors. Remember to also check for any known fixes or workarounds specific to the game you are playing.
Disable NVIDIA Geforce Experience Battery boost and antivirus software
To disable NVIDIA GeForce Experience Battery Boost and antivirus software, follow these steps:
1. Disable Battery Boost: Open NVIDIA GeForce Experience and click on the Settings icon. Under the General tab, scroll down to the Battery Boost section and uncheck the box next to “Optimize games for battery life.” This will disable Battery Boost and ensure maximum performance.
2. Disable antivirus software: Right-click on the antivirus software icon in your system tray and select “Disable” or “Exit.” This will temporarily turn off the antivirus software and prevent any interference with Unreal Engine.
3. Update device drivers: Outdated or incompatible device drivers can cause the D3D device lost error. Visit the manufacturer’s website (NVIDIA, AMD, etc.) and download the latest drivers for your video card. Install the updated drivers and restart your computer.
By following these steps, you can resolve the D3D device lost error and enjoy uninterrupted gaming on Unreal Engine. Remember to re-enable your antivirus software after troubleshooting.
Reduce PC’s energy consumption and disable on-board graphics
Reduce PC’s Energy Consumption and Disable On-Board Graphics
To reduce your PC’s energy consumption and potentially fix the “Unreal Engine D3D Device Lost” error, you can disable the on-board graphics.
1. Open Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting “Device Manager”.
2. Expand the “Display adapters” category.
3. Right-click on your on-board graphics card and select “Disable device”.
4. A warning message will appear, click “Yes” to disable the on-board graphics.
5. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
Disabling the on-board graphics can help reduce power consumption and potentially resolve the “D3D Device Lost” error. However, please note that this may affect the performance of certain applications or games that rely on the on-board graphics. If you experience any issues, you can re-enable the on-board graphics using the same steps.
Remember to regularly update your device drivers, especially the video card driver, to ensure compatibility and performance.
Stop overclocking GPU and disable full-screen mode in games
To fix the “Unreal Engine D3D Device Lost” issue in games, follow these steps:
1. Stop overclocking your GPU: Overclocking can cause instability and lead to the error message. Reset your GPU settings to default to resolve the issue.
2. Disable full-screen mode: Full-screen mode can sometimes conflict with the game’s rendering process. Switch to windowed or borderless windowed mode to avoid the problem.
3. Update your device driver: Outdated or incompatible drivers can cause the error. Visit the manufacturer’s website or use Windows Update to download and install the latest driver version for your GPU.
4. Sync your GPU drivers with the game version: Some games require specific driver versions to function properly. Check the game’s documentation or website for recommended driver versions.
Remember, there are various troubleshooting methods and workarounds available for different scenarios. Make sure to research and apply the appropriate solution for your specific problem.
Reinstall DirectX, update graphics drivers, and change FreeSync settings
To fix the “D3D Device Lost” error in Unreal Engine, try the following steps:
1. Reinstall DirectX: Sometimes, DirectX files might get corrupted, leading to this error. To reinstall DirectX, follow these steps:
– Press the Windows key + R, type “cmd,” and press Enter.
– In the Command Prompt, type “dxDiag /t %userprofile%\Desktop\dxdiag.txt” and press Enter.
– Open the generated “dxdiag.txt” file on your desktop and click “Save All Information.”
– Visit the Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer page and download the installer.
– Run the installer and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the DirectX reinstallation.
2. Update graphics drivers: Outdated or faulty graphics drivers can cause the error. To update your graphics drivers, follow these steps:
– Press the Windows key + X and select “Device Manager.”
– Expand the “Display adapters” category and right-click on your graphics card.
– Select “Update driver” and choose the option to search automatically for updated driver software.
– Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the driver update process.
3. Change FreeSync settings: If you have a FreeSync-enabled monitor, disabling FreeSync may help resolve the issue. Follow these steps to change FreeSync settings:
– Right-click on your desktop and select “Display settings.”
– Scroll down and click on “Graphics settings.”
– Under the “Choose an app to set preference” section, click on “Classic app” and browse for your Unreal Engine application.
– Select the application and click on “Options.”
– Set the “Variable refresh rate” to “Off” and click “Save.”
These methods should help resolve the “D3D Device Lost” error in Unreal Engine. If you encounter any other issues, refer to the Unreal Engine documentation or seek further assistance.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.