- There are several reasons why the sound in your Discord app may not work.
- The problem is usually due to improper audio settings or the fact that your audio device is not selected as the default device.
- In some cases, the problem may also be caused by a Discord update or a bug in the Discord application.
- Most of these causes can be fixed in a few minutes, so you don’t have to worry.
Despite the fact that Discord allows voice chats, you may not be able to hear other users. Discord is a VoIP application widely used by gamers and non-gamers alike. Other users are able to hear you clearly, however, you may not hear a specific person or group of people. The green rings may also indicate that sound is also coming in. You may not hear anyone at all.
The cause of this problem is usually due to improper audio settings or the fact that your audio device is not selected as the default device. In some cases, the problem may also be caused by a Discord update or a bug in the Discord application. Most of these causes can be fixed in a few minutes, so you don’t have to worry. Just follow the methods listed below by Techquack and continue until the problem is resolved.
What Causes the Inability to Hear Someone on Discord?
Here are some likely causes for your Discord app not working with the sound.
- There is a problem with the microphone input
- We are unable to output audio
- Audio devices are set incorrectly as defaults.
- You are experiencing audio problems due to viruses
- Drivers that are outdated
- A new version of your operating system is required
If you can’t hear audio during a voice chat, you may need to check for these issues. You may also need to find out how to enable sound in Discord.
Discord No Sound
Discord, as mentioned on their user interface, does not support sound when streaming your entire screen or desktop.
If you want to listen to other users without being interrupted, we’ll provide all the details in the following sections.
How to Troubleshoot Unable to Hear Anyone on Discord?
Use legacy audio subsystem
It is almost always a hardware compatibility issue that causes users to be unable to hear each other in Discord.
Why Can’t My Friend Hear Me On Discord
Hardware compatibility is the most common cause of discord problems. The latest audio subsystem of Discord may not be compatible with hardware components, so simply reverting to it will resolve this issue. You should try switching on the “Use Legacy Audio Subsystem” option first since it has fixed a lot of Discord issues in the past.
Discord Audio Subsystem
There are fewer hardware requirements for the Legacy audio subsystem, so it is available on Discord still today. A switch to the Legacy audio subsystem on Discord solves audio hardware compatibility and sound issues for users. Throughout this guide, you will learn everything you need to know about the Legacy subsystem.
It seems that your Discord is not responding, so we have provided you with a guide on how to fix it. If you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment down below. Also, check out some of Rootupdate’s other great articles.
If the audio subsystem in Discord is incompatible with the hardware, simply switch back to a traditional audio subsystem.
Many Discord-related problems have been solved by enabling the “Use legacy audio subsystem” option.
- Open Discord.
- Under the server channels, click on “User Settings.”.
- On the “Language and Video” tab, select the language and video you wish to use.
- Scroll down to the section named “Audio Subsystem” under the “Language and Video” tab.
- Towards the bottom of the screen you should see a drop-down menu. Select “Legacy”.
- Here’s what you’ll see after selecting “Legacy”.
- Discord will restart once you select “OK”.
We have several other solutions that might work for you if this method doesn’t work. You can use this method and it has worked for many people.
Default communication device
The default communication device in Windows is headphones. People who want to resolve this problem can sometimes overlook this setting since it is set in Windows. Using this method, we have helped others who are unable to hear their interlocutors on Discord.
- Choose Open Sound Options from the right-click menu on the Sound tab in Windows’ lower right corner.
- To access the Sound Control Panel, open Sound preferences and go to “Related Settings”.
- Choose “Set as Default Communication Device” when you find your audio device in the list.
- You may now apply the setting by clicking on “Set as a default communication device”.
- The problem should be resolved if you restart Discord.
You may be able to solve your problem with this method, as it has helped many people.
Setting up the I/O device
Changing the primary I/O device of your audio device is one of the easiest ways to fix your audio output problem. The process of doing this is not done in Discord, but in Windows. If you constantly switch between headphones and speakers, this can be a problem.
- On your computer, right-click the “Sound” tab.
- Open Sound Settings by selecting “Open Sound Settings”.
- ‘Select Output Device’ should appear in this tab.
- The primary device should be the headphones you’re using. Select it from the drop-down menu.
- For “Input Device”, do the same.
- The problem will be resolved if you restart Discord after checking these settings.
Frequently Asked Questions
This problem is usually caused by incorrect audio settings or because your audio device is not selected as the default device. In some cases, the problem may also be caused by a Discord update or a bug in the Discord application. Most of these causes can be fixed in a few minutes, so you don't have to worry.
- Check the status of your Discord server.
- Check the settings on the audio device.
- Check the connections.
- Set the default settings and adjust them in the Windows settings.
- Check if the sound is muted.
- Check whether you have muted the application in the sound settings.
- Update the application.
- Reboot your computer.
If you selected "Voice Activity," you can adjust the sensitivity of this setting. Discord automatically sets the default microphone sensitivity, but you can turn this setting off by clicking on the slider. Increase the slider to increase the degree to which Discord reduces the volume of other applications.
Mods, or anyone else with permission to do so, can knock out other participants. If they do, they will only be muted, but not mute, so they can talk but not hear. So if you don't have permission, you can't even do it for yourself.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.