Final Fantasy is a very famous RPG MMO game. Many users are unconditional fans of this series. Especially Final Fantasy XIV was released in 2013 and is also available in a PC version. Recently, the game ran into a bug. Many users encounter the same problem. Every time users launch the game, the screen goes black and within seconds the game crashes with the FFXIV Launcher Error. This error often occurs with error code 214667211. This troubleshooting guide aims to solve the problem with some of the best solutions.
What are the causes of the FFXIV Launcher Black Screen problem in Windows?
`There are many different causes of the black screen problem that occurs when playing FFXIV on Windows. Identifying the right cause can help in troubleshooting the problem. Therefore, we recommend that you check the causes listed below!
Internet Explorer settings – this may seem unusual, but the launch of the game depends largely on Internet Explorer. That’s why Internet Explorer must work perfectly for the game to work. You can either reset its settings or add the game site to trusted sites.
Game Internet access blocked – The firewall can prevent the game launcher from connecting to the Internet, so be sure to make an exception for the game executable to resolve the black screen problem.
Game features blocked by antivirus software – Some aspects of the game may be blocked by the antivirus software installed on your computer. Be sure to add the game to your antivirus program’s exclusion list.
How to solve FFXIV launcher black screen problem on Windows?
Before you start :
- Press the “Win + R” keys at the same time, type “taskmgr” at the “Run” prompt, and press “Enter”. A task manager window will open where you will stop all unnecessary tasks.
- Download and install the latest version of “VC x64 or x86”. (depending on your PC architecture).
- If you are using PS4, rebuild the library and reinstall the game.
- If the error occurred while using the Xbox, just try disconnecting the USB controller from the XBOX. If the black screen starts to respond, reconnect the controllers.
- Unplug your router from the Internet. After 3-4 minutes, turn your router back on, reconnect it and see if the problem is fixed.
Changing the game configuration file
The Final Fantasy XIV configuration file contains most of the user and other game settings that are important for the operation of the game. So in this step, we will modify the game’s configuration files to solve the black screen problem when starting Final Fantasy 14.
- Find the “This PC” icon and double click on it.
- Then navigate to the following directory:
- C:UsersYourAccountNameMy Games.
- Here, open the “Final Fantasy 14” folder, find the file “FFXIV.cfg” and right-click on it.
- From the menu, select “Open with” and then “Notepad”.
- Then click “Edit” on the top menu and select “Search” from the menu.
- A search box will open in front of you. Enter “CutsceneMovieOpening” in the box and select “Continue Searching”.
- When you find the word, change the value next to “0″ to “1”.
- Finally, press “Ctrl + S” to save your changes and close the notepad.
- Restart the game to see if the black screen launcher problem of Final Fantasy 14 is resolved.
Resetting Internet Explorer
Internet Explorer is used by Windows as a tunnel to the Internet.
So in this step, we will reset Internet Explorer to completely fix any configuration errors or other corruption issues that this browser may have acquired to fix this error.
- Press the “Win + R” keys at the same time, type “Control Panel” at the “Run” prompt, and press the “Enter” key.
- First, click on “Network and Internet” and then select “Internet Options”.
- Go to the “Advanced” tab and click “Reset” once you are on the “Advanced” tab.
- Finally, click “OK” and restart your browser to see if your Windows 10 Final Fantasy 14 Launcher black screen issue is resolved.
Remove the boot file
The boot file is a randomly generated file and contains cached information useful for launching the game. However, if the game has set an invalid parameter that causes it not to start, this startup file prevents the game from resetting that parameter. However, deleting this file will allow you to restart the game, which can sometimes fix the problem with the Final Fantasy 14 launcher black screen.
- Press the Window key or the Start icon in the lower-left corner of the screen, then type “Steam” in the search box.
- Open the Steam app from the search results, then click the “Library” tab in the menu at the top of the app.
- Find the “Final Fantasy XIV” entry in the list, right-click the game icon and choose “Properties” from the menu.
- Once the properties window opens, click the “Local Files” tab.
- Select “Browse Local Files” and click on “ffxivboot.bck” in the startup folder.
- Then press the “Del” key on your keyboard or right-click on the file and choose “Delete” from the menu.
- Click “OK” or confirm any dialog box that asks for authorization.
Allowing Final Fantasy XIV to pass through the firewall
If Final Fantasy XIV is actively blocked by the firewall, you won’t be able to start the game, which can lead to a black screen problem in your launcher. To fix this error, follow these steps to allow Final Fantasy to fully pass through your firewall and resolve the problem.
- Press the “Win + I” keys at the same time to open the window settings.
- In the settings, find the “Update and Security” tag and open it. Then click on “Windows Security” in the left-hand menu.
- Then first click on “Firewall and Network Protection” and select “Allow an application to pass through the firewall”.
- Then click on the “Change settings” option. You will see that the “Allow another application” option will be visible.
- Click on the “Allow another application” button. Now select the “Browse” option and navigate to the place where you installed “FFXIV”.
- Once you have found it, click on the game executable, select “Add” and then click “OK”.
- Close all windows and restart the game to see if it works properly now.
Resetting the boot file
If removing the boot file didn’t solve the problem, you can try making some changes to the file that will hopefully reconfigure some of the loading parameters that often cause the game to crash or fail to start. To do this, follow these steps.
- Double click on the “This PC” icon or search for “This PC” in the search bar next to the Cortana icon.
- After that, navigate to the following directory :
- C:UsersYourAccountNameMy Games.
- Now open the “Final Fantasy 14” folder and find the file “FFXIV.cfg” and right-click on it.
- From the context menu, select “Open with” and then “Notepad”.
- Then press “Ctrl + F” simultaneously to find the following text and change the values as follows:
- B4EulaAgreement = 1
Language = 1
Region = 2
EulaAgreement = 1
BootVersionCheckMode = 1
ConfigReset = 0
StartupCompleted = 1
- Once all the values have been changed, press “Ctrl + S” on your keyboard to save the changes and restart the game to see if the problem with the Final Fantasy 14 black screen persists.
Using DirectX 9
DirectX is the graphics software that your computer uses as a communication channel between your graphics processor and your operating system when performing games and graphics tasks. If your GPU doesn’t support the latest version of DirectX, or if there are problems with it, you can try using DirectX 9 instead of DirectX 11 or DirectX 12 for games. This may fix the error completely. To do this, do the following steps.
- Press the Windows key or the Start icon in the bottom left corner of your screen and type “Steam” in the search box.
- Open the Steam app from the search results and click the “Library” tab in the menu at the top of the app.
- Find FFXIV in the list of installed games and right-click.
- Select “Properties” from the menu and click on the “General” tab.
- Then click “Set Startup Options” and enter “-dx9” in the line.
- Make sure that the new entry is separated by a comma.
- Finally, save the changes you made and restart the game to see if the black screen problem with Final Fantasy 14 Launcher on Windows 10 is now resolved.
An added exception to Antivirus
Sometimes the real culprit may be your antivirus causing the problem. So, you can add the game as an exception to your antivirus and this should completely solve your Final Fantasy 14 Launcher black screen problem.
There are different methods of adding exceptions to different types of antivirus. You can simply search for “How to add an exception to your antivirus name” and follow the methods described in Google. Here we show you the steps you need to follow to add an exception to Windows Defender:
- Press the “Win + I” keys simultaneously to open Windows Settings.
- In the settings, find the “Updates and Security” tab and open it.
- Then click on “Windows Security” in the left menu and click on “Open Windows Security”.
- Now select “Virus and Threat Protection” from the left menu and click on “Manage Settings” under the “Virus and Threat Protection Settings” option.
- Then go to Exceptions and select “Add or remove exceptions”.
- Click the “Add Exceptions” button and select “File” from the menu.
- Navigate to the executable file of your game, select “Open” and confirm the dialog box if it appears.
- Finally, restart the game to see if the black screen problem persists when starting Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn.
Frequently Asked Questions
The only way for them to access the game is to run Steam. Before, you didn't need to open Steam and just use the Square Enix launcher to play the game, but now Steam is required for those who have the Steam version. No, you MUST run Steam if you bought the Steam version.
Please visit https://sqex.to/ffxiv_client_en to download the official Windows client for Final Fantasy XIV. Please go to your Steam library and download Final Fantasy XIV directly from the Steam client.
- Copy the entire C: Program Files (x86)SquareEnixFINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn folder and save it to your hard drive or backup drive.
- Once the launcher is open, go to Config - Backup Tool (Config - Backup Tool - Click on Backup) (This will save your personal settings to the game.
The two versions of FINAL FANTASY XIV are identical. However, due to some additional features related to the Steam platform, the standard Windows PC version of FINAL FANTASY XIV is not compatible with the Steam version of the same name. Extensions must also be registered on the same platform as their base game.