Most of us adjust and control Windows brightness based on content visibility. In Windows 10, you can increase or decrease screen brightness depending on the environment and lighting. The main goal is to make content more readable, safe, and comfortable.
However, some users have reported that Windows 10’s brightness control doesn’t work. They reported that screen brightness starts to change automatically or doesn’t work at all. That’s how frustrating it is, especially when the screen brightness is too low and you need to finish important work or watch movies.
What is the cause of faulty brightness control in Windows 10
A faulty GPU display driver installed on your computer may be the reason why you can’t adjust the brightness in Windows 10. In most cases, the Windows 10 brightness problem can be solved by simply updating the GPU drivers. This problem is usually caused by incorrect, incompatible, outdated, or faulty drivers. In this guide, we will present different methods to solve the brightness control problem.
Outdated, incompatible, or corrupt drivers are usually the main cause of Windows 10 screen brightness control issues. A device driver is a software that tells the operating system and other software how to interact with certain hardware.
It is a kind of translator between software and hardware, as they are often created by different manufacturers, companies, or people. The driver provides a seamless link between hardware and software. In most cases, computers cannot properly send and receive data without a driver. If the proper driver is not installed, the device may not work correctly or not work at all.
To solve the problem with the brightness control not working in Windows 10, follow these steps
Updating the video card driver
- Open the Start menu -> Enter Device Manager and open it.
- Find your display adapter in the list. Click on it to expand it, and right-click on the GPU that powers your display (internal or discrete). To select the checkbox, open Run -> Enter Dxdiag and press Enter -> Switch to the Display tab.
- Select “Update Driver” from the menu to fix the Windows 10 brightness control that is not working.
- Then click Automatically check for driver updates. Your computer will now use an Internet connection to download the drivers you need for it to work properly.
- You will see that the driver will be installed automatically, and you will see a Windows driver update success message with the hardware information.
- If your Windows 10 brightness control problem persists, it means that your video card manufacturer has not provided an update. Now you need to go to the next step. You can also visit the manufacturer’s website to manually check for driver updates.
- If that doesn’t work, repeat the steps above to open the Device Manager and update your display drivers. In the How to Find Drivers dialog box, select Scan Computer for Drivers -> and select Select from the list of device drivers on your computer.
- Select Microsoft Basic Display Adapter from the Show Compatible Hardware option and click Next to continue with the “Windows 10 Brightness Control is not working” problem.
Your PC will now install the selected driver and your Windows 10 Brightness Control problem will be resolved. You can check this by increasing and decreasing the brightness of your PC. Hope this helps you if the brightness of your desktop or laptop does not change.
Frequently Asked Questions
Go to "Settings" - "Display". Scroll down and move the brightness bar. If there is no brightness bar, go to Control Panel, Device Manager, Monitor, PNP Monitor, Driver Tab and click Enable. Then go back to Settings - Display, find the brightness bar, and adjust it.
- Update your screen driver.
- Update the drivers manually.
- Update the drivers automatically.
- Turn on adaptive brightness.
- Turn on your PnP monitor.
- Check your video card software.
- Use the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
The brightness function keys can be located at the top of your keyboard or on the arrow keys. For example, on a Dell XPS laptop keyboard (as shown below), hold down the Fn key and press F11 or F12 to adjust screen brightness.
If your phone's brightness automatically fades, go to your device settings and look at your display settings. Look for the brightness setting or the auto-brightness setting and turn it off to prevent your phone's brightness from automatically fading.