Synchronizing OneNote notebooks can sometimes be a nerve-racking experience. OneNote sometimes requires a password to sync laptops. And many specific error codes can accompany this warning, such as 0x803D0005, 0xE4010647, 0x52E, or 0xE0000024.
OneNote usually syncs the notebook to a Microsoft account to make it easier to access the notebook from anywhere. This is similar to the integration of OneDrive in Windows 10/8.1 or higher. As a result, sometimes OneDrive has already synced the laptop, and when OneNote tries to sync the laptop, the sync fails because of the following error: OneNote requires a password to sync. Click here to enter the password.
What caused the “OneNote requires a password to sync this notebook” error?
OneNote account error: It turns out that there is a common error that causes this behavior. It usually happens when a user tries to open the OneNote app after a major update without rebooting the computer. In this case, you can easily fix the problem by logging into the app again with your OneNote account.
Windows Credentials storing corrupted data: It is also possible that the problem goes beyond OneNote and is actually caused by a more serious problem of corrupted system files caused by corrupted data stored in the Windows Credential Manager utility. In this case, you can solve the problem by opening the Credential Manager in Control Panel and deleting all credentials associated with Office.
SharePoint URL is not being added to the list of trusted sites: If this issue occurs with OneNote notebooks hosted by SharePoint, it is most likely due to the fact that the application is forced to request a SharePoint connection every time the user launches the application. If this scenario applies, you can solve the problem by adding the SharePoint URL to the list of trusted sites in the Internet options.
VPN or proxy server: As dozens of affected users confirm, this problem can occur in situations where the user uses a proxy server or a private Internet connection. This causes problems with many Office applications, including OneNote, because the Windows authentication client may not complete the process. In this case, you can solve the problem by disabling or removing the proxy server while OneNote is open.
Corrupt Office installation: In rare cases, this problem can also occur due to a corrupt file in the Office installation folder. This problem can be resolved by self-repairing through programs and features.
How to fix the OneNote sync error?
Remove the shared permissions
- Close OneNote.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows + R key combination.
- In the new Run window, type Credential Manager and press Enter.
- Click the Windows Credentials tab.
- Identify all the cached users in the list. They are marked as MicrosoftOffice15_Data: or MicrosoftOffice16_Data :
- Click the arrow on the side and select Delete or click Delete.
- Then open OneNote and try the account password. This time it should connect and you should be able to sync your notebooks again.
Re-login with your OneNote account
- Open the OneNote app.
- Then click your name in the upper-right corner.
- Select Exit.
- When prompted to “Delete Account,” click “Yes” to delete your account and exit this app from the Office.
- Go back to the upper right corner of the OneNote window and click Login.
- Add your Microsoft email address, phone number, or Skype number and password to log back into the OneNote app.
- When the process is complete, see if you still get the same error.
OneNote requires a password to sync this laptop error can also be caused by a common error after a major Windows 10 update. In this happy case, simply logging out and logging back into the OneNote app is helpful.
Office Setup Repair
- First, press the Windows key and the R key at the same time. This will immediately open the Run command prompt.
- In the Run window, type appwiz.cpl and press the Enter key to open the Programs and Features window.
- Scroll through the list of installed applications and find the Office installation.
- Right-click on it and choose Edit from the context menu that appears.
- Please be patient until the initial examination is complete. Then select Quick Restore from the list of available options.
- Confirm and start the process by clicking the Restore button.
- When prompted, restart your computer and check to see if the problem is resolved.
If all of the above solutions were unsuccessful, you should consider the Office installation error as the cause of the error message. To fix this, repair your Office installation. Note that the repair process is similar to that of a new installation.
The time required usually depends on your connection speed and the problem you encountered. If you need more information, check out the best tools for Windows 10 Internet speed testing.
If that doesn’t solve the problem, you can also try the online repair. The repair process is not complicated, so just follow the wizard. However, before you click Repair, you should save your work and close all office programs.
Another scenario to consider is that Windows credentials contain corrupted data that affects your Microsoft account. Deleting the account through Account Manager is the best solution you can apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you leave OneNote open and your computer goes to sleep mode, OneNote creates an entry in its cache to prevent data loss. This feature can prevent OneNote from starting correctly when you come out of hibernation because OneNote is looking for user credentials in its cache.
- Close OneNote.
- Click Start -> Run or the search button next to the Start button.
- Type "Title Manager" and press the Enter key.
- Click the Windows Credentials tab.
- Identify all cached users in the list.
To recover your OneNote password, run OneNote Password Recovery. Click the Open Documents button and select the OneNote file. Click the Recovery tab and click Execute to start the recovery process. A small pop-up window will show the status of the recovery when the process is complete.
If your notebooks aren't syncing, you may be having problems with OneNote. To fix this, you need to close OneNote and log out of the web interface (in your internet browser). If your OneNote notebook is out of sync, right-click (control-click) on the appropriate notebook. Click Close Notebook.