The error message “Local printer spooler service not working” may occur when trying to install a new printer, when opening the settings of a configured local printer, or when trying to print a file. This error can occur in Windows 10, Win 8.1, or 7.
The text of the error message may vary slightly depending on what you want to do with the objects in the print spooler subsystem. For example:
Windows cannot open “Add Printer.
The local print spooler service does not work. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine.
What causes the error 0x000006BA?
Damaged data in the PRINTERS folder: If other printers were previously connected to this Windows 10 computer, they may have left data that the new printer cannot use. In that case, you can solve the problem by going into the PRINTERS folder in the System32 folder and deleting the old files to make room for the new ones.
Inconsistent Print Spooler service: Print Spooler service stuck in a suspended state is not uncommon in Windows 10. Fortunately, this problem can easily be resolved by restarting the Print Spooler service from the Services screen and changing the startup type if necessary.
Printer sharing is not enabled: If this problem occurs when trying to use a printer connected to your local network (but located on another PC), it is likely that printer sharing is disabled. To solve the problem in this case, you must enable printer sharing in the Printer Settings and Advanced Sharing options.
Common Printer Mismatches: In Windows 10, there are several relatively common reasons why a previously connected printer stops working. Fortunately, you can solve most of these problems by running Printer Troubleshooter and applying the recommended solution.
Damaged system files: In some cases, this problem may occur when your computer is corrupted with system files that cannot be repaired in the traditional way. In this case, you should run utilities such as SFC and DISM to locate potentially corrupted system files and replace them with healthy counterparts so that you can fix the error and connect the printer normally.
How to resolve the error 0x000006BA?
Reinstall the printer
- Go to the Start menu.
- Search or go to Control Panel
- Find and click on the “Devices and Printers” option.
- Click and select the printer that is already installed.
- Right-click on the print server
- Click on the “Properties” option.
- Click on the “Driver” option.
- Mark and extract each driver.
- Now click OK.
- Then close the printer page.
- Go back to the “Start” menu.
- Find the word “RUN” or go to “RUN”.
- Open it and type `service.msc`.
- Find the printer spooler service there
- Stop the print spooler service for about 10 minutes.
- Restart the print spooler service
- Go back and reinstall the printer.
Reset the printer to the default state on the Windows computer
- Empty the print queue.
- Update the printer driver.
- Uninstall your printer.
- Uninstall your printer driver
- Reinstall your printer.
- Delete printers that reappear in Print Manager
- Click on Printers in the left pane.
Check the language for non-Unicode on your Windows PC
- Go to the Start menu.
- Search or go to the Control Panel
- Click on “Region and Language.”
- Click on “Change System Locale.”
- Now set “Current System Locale” to English (U.S.)
Remove or uninstall all third-party drivers
- Go to the Start menu
- Go to My Computer or Computer.
- Click on “Uninstall or change program”.
- Now navigate to the driver you want to uninstall.
- Right-click on it.
- Click “Uninstall” to remove it.
Scanning system files
- Start the computer in safe mode
- Open a command line with administrative privileges
- Enter command `sfc/scannow` here
- Wait until the scanning process is finished
- Locate the corrupted file
- Find a new copy
- Install a new copy
Frequently Asked Questions
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- If you are in the Troubleshooting tab, scroll to the right and click the printer icon (under Start and Run).
- Click the Settings icon on your Android device and select Apps or Applications.
- In that section, select "Show System Applications.
- Scroll down in this section and select "Print spooler".
- Press the Clear Cache and Clear Data buttons at the same time.
- Open the document or image you want to print.
A spooler is a special process that controls access to printers for multiple users. For most users, the spooler function is transparent. It spools print jobs by passing the user's process output to the print file. It creates an entry in the print queue for that job.
- Press "Windows" + "R" to open the "Run" dialog box.
- Type "services.msc" and select "OK".
- Double-click the "Print Spooler" service and change the startup type to "Automatic".
- Restart your computer and try installing the printer again.