- USB-to-HDMI adapters allow users to connect desktop or laptop computers to additional display devices via HDMI.
- Windows is constantly providing updates to the drivers installed on the devices.
- Some older adapters and docking stations may not work with certain devices.
- Check the USB port and make sure it is working properly, if not, you need to connect the adapter to a different port.Download and install the latest driver manually from your adapter manufacturer’s website.
No Hdmi Signal From Your Device
With an outdoor big screen and friends by your side, you’re looking forward to the football season.
In the case of HDMI cables or HDMI ports failing with Windows 10, the problem might be a driver issue, a hardware problem, or an issue with the display configuration of the device.
Even devices without HDMI ports can be connected via HDMI to desktop or laptop computers thanks to USB-to-HDMI adapters.
It has been reported that a few users are not able to detect docking stations with Windows 11.
There are, however, some Windows users who still have trouble using the USB-to-HDMI adapter. Some have even posted on the Microsoft forum that they are having trouble with their adapter.
Why don’t USB-to-HDMI adapters work?
USB-HDMI adapters and docking stations come in different types. Furthermore, Windows is constantly updating drivers installed on devices. Therefore, compatibility settings may not match due to these updates. Some older docking stations and adapters may not work with certain devices due to these updates. It may also be the case that some new adapters will not work with older drivers, as well.
How to troubleshoot a non-functioning USB-HDMI adapter?
Check the version of your operating system
You should first determine which version of your operating system your adapters are compatible with. If you are not sure which version your operating system is, you should first determine it.
Operation system for Windows:
- You can open the Run window by pressing the Windows logo key and R simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Click OK after typing msinfo32.
- On the right side of the window, you can see basic information about the PC, if you click on System Summary on the left side.
- Windows 10 Pro, for example, is listed under the Operating System Name.
Operating system for Mac:
- Your computer screen should show you an Apple icon in the upper-left corner. Click on the icon to access your Mac’s about page.
- Your Mac’s operating system version will appear in the window that opens.
If your operating system is compatible with your USB-HDMI adapter, then you need to figure out which version will work with it. When you are sure that your computer and the adapter are working properly, proceed to the next step. Some adapters only support certain operating systems.
Download and install the latest driver
Your USB-to-HDMI adapter may also stop working if the appropriate driver has not been installed correctly. In this case, you should immediately try to download and install the latest driver.
It is best to remove the adapter from the computer during the reboot. Once the driver is downloaded, install it and restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
A third-party driver update program can automatically update the driver for you if you don’t have patience, time, or computer skills.
2. Check the connecting medium, such as the cable, to ensure there are no problems with the connection between the USB C and the display. 3. The HDMI to HDMI cable needs to be of high quality and efficient for the connection. It is recommended to not extend the HDMI cable beyond 25ft because if it does, it may drop off the signal. Troubleshoot the display to make sure it is not defective.
Your system is automatically detected and the right drivers are found by a third-party driver update program. Driver Easy does all the work for you, so you don’t need to worry about downloading the wrong driver or making a mistake during installation. It takes care of everything for you.
Check your USB connection
Make sure your USB port is working properly. If it is not, connect the adapter to a different port. If the USB port is not working, your connection between the two devices may also be broken.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get USB-HDMI to work?
First, simply install the included driver software so that your computer can communicate with the device. Then connect the HDMI cable to the TV and the USB-HDMI adapter, and connect the USB cable to the adapter and the computer. No additional cable or power supply is required.
How do I make USB 3.0 work with HDMI?
Connect the USB-HDMI adapter to the USB 3.0 port on your computer and connect the HDMI port on the adapter to your HDTV, monitor, or projector with an HDMI cable. Select "Duplicate", "Expand" or "Projector Only" depending on your needs. The images will then be output to the extended display device.
Why doesn’t my USB adapter work?
Make sure that you meet the minimum system requirements for the adapter and that you have the latest Windows and system updates installed on your computer. Make sure that you are using the latest driver version for your particular adapter. Try using a different USB port or PCI slot on your computer. Check the compatibility of the adapter and your USB ports.
Why doesn’t my USB-to-HDMI adapter work?
Your USB-to-HDMI adapter may also stop working if the appropriate driver was not installed correctly. In this case, you should immediately try to download and install the latest driver. You can download the driver manually from your adapter manufacturer's website (the website is often listed in the user manual).
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.