- USB-to-HDMI adapters allow users to connect desktop or laptop computers to additional display devices via HDMI.
- Windows is constantly providing updates to the drivers installed on the devices.
- Some older adapters and docking stations may not work with certain devices.
- Check the USB port and make sure it is working properly, if not, you need to connect the adapter to a different port.Download and install the latest driver manually from your adapter manufacturer’s website.
Unleashing the potential of seamless multimedia connectivity, USB to HDMI adapters have become a popular tool for Windows PC users. However, encountering a glitch where the adapter fails to work can be frustrating. In this article, we delve into troubleshooting methods to address the issue and restore the functionality of USB to HDMI adapters on Windows PCs.
Update or Rollback Windows
Troubleshoot USB to HDMI Adapter Not Working on Windows PC
If your USB to HDMI adapter is not working on your Windows PC, here are some steps to help you troubleshoot the issue:
1. Check the USB ports: Ensure that the USB port you are using is working properly. Try connecting the adapter to a different USB port on your PC.
2. Update the USB drivers: Go to the manufacturer’s website and download the latest USB drivers for your Windows operating system version.
3. Update the HDMI driver: Visit the manufacturer’s website and download the latest HDMI driver for your Windows OS.
4. Restart your PC: Sometimes a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues. Restart your computer and check if the adapter starts working.
5. Check the HDMI connection: Ensure that the HDMI cable is securely connected to both the adapter and the monitor.
If the issue persists, contact the manufacturer’s support for further assistance.
Update the USB to HDMI Driver
1. Determine the version of your operating system. If you are using Windows 10, follow these steps:
a. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
b. In the Run dialog box, type “dxdiag” and press Enter.
c. In the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, navigate to the System tab and note the version of your operating system.
2. Visit the manufacturer’s website for your USB-C to HDMI adapter. Look for the latest driver downloads for your specific adapter model.
3. Download the driver file to your computer.
4. Once the download is complete, locate the driver file and double-click on it to start the installation process.
5. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
6. After the driver installation is complete, restart your computer.
7. Connect your USB-C to HDMI adapter to your computer’s USB port and HDMI input on your monitor.
8. If you encounter any issues, refer to the troubleshooting section of the manufacturer’s website or search for solutions online.
Remember to always stay up to date with the latest driver updates to ensure optimal performance of your USB to HDMI adapter.
Connect to an Alternative USB Port / Change Hub
If your USB to HDMI adapter is not working on your Windows PC, one troubleshooting step you can try is connecting the adapter to an alternative USB port or changing the hub. Sometimes, the USB port or hub you are using may not be providing enough power or might be experiencing a connection issue.
To do this, follow these steps:
1. Disconnect the USB to HDMI adapter from your current USB port or hub.
2. Connect it to a different USB port on your computer or try using a different USB hub.
3. Ensure that the USB port or hub you are connecting to is functioning properly.
4. Test the adapter again to see if it is now working.
If the issue persists, you may need to try other troubleshooting methods or seek further assistance. Remember to always check for updates to your USB drivers and ensure that your Windows OS is up to date.
Scan for Hardware Changes
1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” and hit Enter to open Device Manager.
3. In Device Manager, expand the “Display adapters” category.
4. Right-click on your USB to HDMI adapter and select “Scan for hardware changes.”
5. Wait for the scan to complete and see if the adapter starts working.
6. If the adapter still isn’t working, try updating the driver.
7. Right-click on the adapter again and select “Update driver.”
8. Choose the option to search automatically for updated driver software.
9. Windows will search for and install any available driver updates.
10. Once the driver update is complete, restart your computer and check if the adapter is working.
Remember, if you’re still experiencing issues, it’s always a good idea to refer to official support articles or seek assistance from qualified professionals.
Changing the Adapter
If you’re experiencing issues with your USB to HDMI adapter not working on your Windows PC, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take to resolve the problem.
Step 1: First, make sure that the USB to HDMI adapter is securely connected to both your PC and the HDMI device you’re trying to connect to.
Step 2: Check if the adapter requires a specific driver for it to work properly. Visit the manufacturer’s website and download the appropriate driver for your adapter.
Step 3: Restart your PC and try reconnecting the adapter. Sometimes a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.
Step 4: Ensure that your PC’s display settings are configured correctly. Right-click on the desktop and select “Display settings.” Make sure the HDMI device is recognized and set as the primary display.
Step 5: If the adapter is still not working, try using a different USB port on your PC. Sometimes, certain USB ports may not provide enough power for the adapter to function properly.
By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and resolve any USB to HDMI adapter issues you’re experiencing on your Windows PC.
Check the version of your operating system
Check the Version of Your Operating System
To troubleshoot USB to HDMI adapter issues on your Windows PC, it’s important to check the version of your operating system. Different versions of Windows may have varying compatibility with USB to HDMI adapters.
To find your operating system version, follow these steps:
1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type “winver” (without quotes) and press Enter.
3. A window will appear displaying your Windows version.
If you’re using Windows 10, ensure that it’s up to date by downloading any available updates. This can often resolve compatibility issues with USB to HDMI adapters.
For more detailed instructions and other troubleshooting solutions, refer to our article on “Troubleshoot USB to HDMI Adapter Not Working on Windows PC.” We cover a variety of topics and provide step-by-step tutorials to help you fix any HDMI adapter issues you may encounter.
Remember, don’t panic if your USB to HDMI adapter isn’t working. With the right focus and a few simple fixes, you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits of dual HDMI monitors or connect your PC to an HDMI display.
Download & Install the latest driver
To troubleshoot a USB to HDMI adapter not working on your Windows PC, you may need to download and install the latest driver. Here’s how:
1. Visit the manufacturer’s website or trusted driver download site like Startech.com.
2. Search for the latest driver for your specific USB to HDMI adapter model.
3. Download the driver file to your PC.
4. Locate the downloaded file and double-click to start the installation.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
6. Once the installation is complete, restart your PC.
7. After the restart, connect your USB to HDMI adapter to your PC’s USB port.
8. Connect the HDMI cable from your adapter to the HDMI input on your display or monitor.
9. Make sure the display or monitor is turned on and set to the correct HDMI input.
10. If you still encounter issues, try using a different USB port or a different HDMI cable.
Remember to always check for the latest driver updates and keep your operating system up to date.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.