After purchasing a Windows 10 license, you need to verify the product key to register the operating system. The validation process goes through the Microsoft activation server. If Windows has trouble connecting to the server, activation will fail and display an error code: 0x87e10bc6.
The full error message sounds like this: “Something has prevented us from communicating with our activation servers. Please wait a few minutes, then try again. Error code: 0x87e10bc6”. If you’re having trouble activating your Windows 10 license, learn how to fix the error here.
What causes Windows 10 activation error code 0X87E10BC6?
Poor license description handling: If you encounter this particular activation problem, you should be able to resolve it by running the Activation Troubleshooter and automatically applying the recommended solution. If this does not work, you will need to contact a Microsoft Live agent and ask them to activate the license key remotely.
Server Problem: If this error code occurs when you try to run the game through the Xbox application, likely, Microsoft is currently experiencing a server problem that is preventing users from validating their accounts. In this case, there is nothing you can do except acknowledge the server problem and wait for Microsoft to fix it.
These licenses are a remnant of an older version of the operating system: this problem can occur when trying to activate Windows 10 Home or Windows 10 home on a machine that previously had Windows 7 or Windows 8 installed. If this scenario applies, you may be able to solve the problem by trying manual activation with SLMGR.
Windows DVD Media Player Error: In some circumstances, you may make changes that affect your system’s ability to play traditional DVD content. If this scenario applies, the fastest way to solve the problem is to use system restore to return your computer to a healthy state.
Third-party firewall intervention: If you are using a third-party firewall, it may mistakenly see the Microsoft activation server as a suspicious connection and block communication with that server. If this scenario applies, you will need to remove the overly protective firewall so that your computer can resume communication with the MS server.
Outdated versions of Windows: It turns out that this error code can occur when you try to activate your Windows 10 license key on a computer with an assembly before 1809. In this case, you can only install it if you first make sure you have the latest version installed.
How to resolve Windows 10 activation error code 0X87E10BC6?
Launch the activation troubleshooter
“Activation Troubleshooter” will help you if you can’t activate Windows 10. A troubleshooter is used to restore the basic configuration, which is a built-in feature of Windows 10. You can use this application to detect any activation-related problem.
- Open Settings > Update and Security.
- In the left pane, find Activation.
- Select Troubleshooting and follow the instructions on the screen.
- When troubleshooting is complete, select Go to Microsoft Store.
- The Microsoft Store app will launch and you should see a message thanking you for activating Windows 10.
Check your firewall
A third-party firewall installed on your device may be the main reason why your connection to the server is blocked. To activate Windows 10, simply disable the firewall for a while. You can also disable the Windows Defender firewall protection for extra security. Proceed as follows.
- Go to Windows Settings > Update and Security.
- On the left side of the options list, find Windows Security.
- In the right pane, click Firewall and Network Protection.
- Select the active network here, i.e. private network.
- On the current page, use the toggle switch to disable the Windows Defender firewall.
- Also make sure that the Block of all incoming connections, including connections from the list of allowed applications is not checked in the Incoming connections section.
- Now close the settings window.
Updating the Windows 10 operating system
Installing pending updates (if any) for the Windows operating system may solve the problem. This will ensure successful activation. Check for pending updates for Windows and install them.
- Press the Win+I key combination and open Windows Settings.
- Find Update and Security and open it.
- In the right-hand result pane, under Windows Update, click on the Check for updates option.
- Then allow Windows to download and install any pending updates.
- Finally, restart your computer and try to activate your license again.
Perform hardware and device troubleshooting
Error code: 0x87e10bc6 also affects your system hardware, such as your DVD driver. If such problems occur with your DVD player, run the hardware and device troubleshooter to solve the problem.
- Go to Settings > Update and Security.
- In the left pane, find Troubleshooting.
- Scroll down and select Video Playback.
- Click Run Troubleshooting and follow the instructions on the screen
- Alternatively, if the error is caused by the Windows Store app, click the Windows Store app in the
- Troubleshooting tab and select Run Troubleshooting.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you are having trouble activating Windows 10, the Activation Troubleshooter can help. To use the troubleshooter, select Start -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Activation, then Troubleshoot.
- Fix the temporary error.
- Update your Windows 10 operating system.
- Run the activation troubleshooter.
- Check your firewall.
- Run the hardware and device troubleshooter.
- Cancel the Windows update using the restore point.
- Type Regedit in the Start menu search box and press Enter.
- Click Yes when the User Account Control prompt appears to open the registry editor.
- Select the activation key.
- On the right side, find the entry labeled Manual and change the default value to 1 to disable automatic activation.
Select Start -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Activation, then Troubleshoot to launch the Activation Troubleshooter. For more information about troubleshooting, see Using the Activation Troubleshooter.