- The ETD Control Center is a kind of “driver” that provides additional functionality to your laptop’s touchpad.
- It is developed by ELAN Microelectronics Corp and is pre-installed on most laptops with touchpad chip.
- Some anti-virus programs have identified it as a potential threat to your computer’s integrity.
- You can deactivate the program or uninstall it completely.
It has been reported that the “ETD Control Center” appeared on the user’s screen and that numerous questions have been raised regarding the application’s functionality and necessity. We will explain how to disable the app permanently in this article and whether it is safe to do so.
What is the ETD Control Center?
As with a smartphone, the ETD Control Center allows you to operate with multiple fingers, similar to a touchscreen. ETD Control Center is a kind of “driver” that adds functionality to your laptop’s touchpad. Anti-virus software has identified this application as a potential security threat.
Software developed by ELAN Microelectronics is called ETD Control Center, also known as Elan Trackpad Device Control Center. ELAN Microelectronic’s ELAN Smart-Pad is usually found on a laptop, so ETDCtrl.exe is the control station file for the laptop. It can be found in the Windows subfolder or in C:/Program files in general.
It runs as “etdctrl.exe” in the Task Manager, so you can run it in the background. Many laptops come with the company’s touchpad chip which is pre-installed with ELAN Microelectronics Corp’s ETD Control Center application. Some reports report that clicking on the pop-up window of the application will result in a “ETD Control Center not responding” error.
Does it need to be removed?
Some users wonder if they can remove ETD Control Center virus because of its association with ETD Control Center. In fact, you can remove it if you want, but it’s not recommended.
You can disable ETD Control Center by opening the Windows Control Panel, selecting Programming and Features, and then choosing Uninstall.
We will show you how to disable the ETD Control Center startup in the next section. And not only that, but you can also uninstall ETDCtrl.exe, which is part of the ETD Control Center.
How do I disable the ETD Control Center startup?
1st Solution: Deactivate via Task Manager
It is up to you to decide whether to deactivate or uninstall the program.
Control Center Pc
Using Control Center, you can customize how iOS works on your home screen. Control Center has the same basic layout as Apple’s…
Deactivate it through the Task Manager if you don’t plan to use it any time soon. It can always be activated again later if needed.
You can do this if you want to keep it, but you don’t want it to use up a lot of your computer’s resources. Techquack recommends doing this:
- Using Ctrl, Shift, Esc, you can open the Task Manager.
- Go to Startup
- The ESD Control Center can be found by searching.
- Click “Disable” on the right-click menu.
- You will need to restart your computer.
2nd Solution: Uninstall the program
If you want to uninstall the entire program, you can try this method. To uninstall ETDCtrl.exe, simply uninstall any other program from your computer using the Uninstall Program feature available on each computer. This is the method recommended by Techquack. Here’s how to do it:
- The Control Panel can be accessed by clicking the Windows button.
- The program list can be found here
- You can find the Control Center for ERM by searching online.
- Select Uninstall.
- After uninstalling the program, wait a few minutes.
- You will need to restart your computer.
3rd Solution: Update your drivers
It is possible that the entire touchpad could be affected if you uninstall ETD Control Center. The default touchpad will be used on your computer.
You may encounter problems after uninstalling the touchpad if your computer can’t detect it anymore.
You should update your touchpad as well if this happens.
Techquack recommends that you do this:
- The Device Manager can be found by opening the Start menu.
- Mouse and other pointers can be found within the Device Manager.
- The EIAN Touchpad Driver can be found by right-clicking it
- The driver must be updated
- Check for driver updates automatically by clicking the option.
- Your computer will find the driver you need after you click the search button.
- After installing the driver, wait for it to take effect
Your ESD control center should no longer be problematic if you do.
The touchpad will no longer serve as a touchpad, but will instead act as a standard touchpad, resulting in fewer error messages and decreased CPU use.
4th Solution: Attach a smart gesture to your Asus laptop
The ESD control center may consume a large amount of CPU power if you are an Asus user.
You can remove it using a second patch. Another option, however, is to fix Asus Smart Move. This is what Techquack recommends:
- The R key is pressed while the Windows key is held down.
- Launch the appwiz.cpl by typing it in the Launch window.
- Asus Smart Gesture should be visible on the first screen of the app.
- You can delete or change it by right-clicking it
- For a resolution, select Restore.
- For a complete removal, select Delete.
5th Solution: remove the virus with an antivirus and antivirus program.
The ETDCtrl executable file is an example of a virus that disguises itself as an executable.
In C:Windows or C:WindowsSystem32, ETDCtrl.exe is rated as 85% dangerous by File.net.
It is most likely Trojan horses or malware that masquerade as ETDCtrl.exe files. If it is, ensure your system is well protected. For example, you can use the following steps:
- ETDCtrl.exe’s threat level can be determined by downloading Security Task Manager.
- Your computer should be scanned for viruses and removed with an antivirus program.
- If you want to remove malware, you should use an antivirus program.
Since most laptops come with a trackpad, most users don’t need the original ESD control center program, since it is basically a normal trackpad program. Therefore, ESD control center is redundant. The program is prone to errors and is notorious for consuming large amounts of CPU resources, which is why it is quite annoying.
In order to prevent data loss, it is recommended to delete the application completely.
This file has only one danger: if you do not take action, it can spread to your computer and cause your computer to crash if you do not take steps to remove it quickly. It is a harmless program, but useless at the same time. In order to get rid of it, all traces must be removed.
Frequently Asked Questions
It also allows the user to work with multiple fingers, like with a smartphone. However, ETD Control Center may sometimes be considered a virus or may cause high CPU usage.
ETDCtrlHelper.exe launches Control Center Helper, a configuration screen where you can change ELAN smart pad settings. This is a non-essential Windows process and can be disabled if it is known to cause problems. The ELAN Smart-Pad is an input device used for finger input.
ETDIntelligent.exe can control programs and record mouse and keyboard input.
The process known as the DAX API belongs to the DAXAPI or Dolby Atmos Windows API SDK software from Dolby Laboratories.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.