If Discord stops working in the game, what should I do? This is a common problem, and you can actually solve it. In this Techquack post, you’ll find some useful solutions. Try them to get rid of your problem.
Discord is an instant messaging and digital distribution platform designed to build communities. That is, you can communicate with other people through video calls, text messages, voice calls, and so on.
Discord is very popular with gamers because it offers many voice and video chat options and has many handy features. However, it doesn’t always work, and you can often run into problems such as discord, not opening, discord crashing all the time, search not working, etc.
In addition, another problem that bothers you a lot is that discord stops working in the game. In particular, some features such as audio, disc overlay, microphone, and other important functions do not work.
The problem usually disappears as soon as you exit the game. However, it also appears when you start the game. The main reasons for this problem are the lack of microphone and administrator rights, old drivers, etc. The problem can also occur when you start the game.
Discord is one of the most popular applications used by players. Not only does it offer a number of options for voice and video chat, but it also has some handy features that can be used for various things. Although Discord provides a fairly smooth experience for players, it has a few bugs here and there that can sometimes be quite annoying.
One of the most common bugs that annoy players a lot is that Discord just stops working while you are in the game. While the problems disappear when you quit the game, this problem reappears as soon as you start the game. This is something that goes against the very purpose of using Discord. While there are a number of solutions to these problems, most of them don’t work. However, we have listed a list of solutions that can help you get rid of this problem.
Why does Discord stop working in the game?
Before you can learn how to fix a bug, you need to understand what is causing it. It’s hard to determine what causes Discord to lock or freeze on your PC, but at least one of the solutions suggested in this guide should work and solve your problem.
Discord problems can be caused by simply not having access rights to the microphone, not having administrator rights, or using outdated drivers. In this guide, we will discuss solutions to all of these problems.
If you have tried all the solutions presented in this guide and the problem persists, it may be time to upgrade your hardware to one of the latest off-the-shelf gaming PCs.
Sad but true, there is no “one-size-fits-all” solution to the problem for a variety of reasons. The solution is to eagerly try several solutions until you find a solution that works for your situation.
Note: Make sure that your headset is working properly before you begin solving the disk microphone problem by following the instructions below. Try connecting a different headset to your computer and see if it works properly under Discord.
If you have a similar sound problem with this replacement headset, start with the following simple methods to solve the problem of a faulty mismatched microphone. Be patient and try these solutions one by one until you find what works best for your situation.
How to fix the “Discord no longer works in-game”
Allow apps to use your microphone
If you’re having sound and microphone problems when opening a game during a Discord session, be sure to start troubleshooting using this method. This is the easiest solution that can save you hours of work. So don’t skip this method when you’re trying to fix a discord problem that’s not working.
Windows 10 users:
- Click on the gear icon in the lower-left corner of the Start menu to open settings. You can also look for it.
- Scroll down until you see the Privacy section and click on it. On the left side of the window, you should see the app permissions scroll down until you reach Microphone and click that option.
- First, check to see if the Microphone access option is enabled for this device. If it’s not, click the Edit button and set the slider to On.
- Then under Allow apps to access the microphone, click Enable and scroll through the list of apps installed on your computer to find Discord. Switch the slider next to the Discord entry in the list to On.
- Open the Discord again and see if the problem remains.
Older versions of Windows :
- Right-click the volume icon on the taskbar and select Sounds. If this icon is not on the taskbar, the sound settings can be found by opening the Control Panel, changing the display to Category, and selecting Hardware and Sound -> Sound.
- Make sure your microphone is enabled under the Record tab by clicking on the microphone you are using at the top of the window. It should be at the top and selected.
- Click on it once and then click the “Properties” button at the bottom right of the window.
In the properties window that opens under Use device, check to Use this device (activate) if you haven’t already done so, and apply the changes.
- In the same properties window, click the Advanced tab and select the Exclusive Mode check box.
- Uncheck the “Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device” and “Give priority to applications in exclusive mode” boxes. Also, apply these changes and repeat the same process for your speaker in the Play tab before closing these windows. Open Discordance again and see if the error persists.
Note: Even if you are a Windows 10 user, you should try the second set of steps as they may solve the problem for some Windows 10 users if the above steps fail.
Disable Discrepancy Overlay.
Disc overlay is, unfortunately, the cause of many gaming problems, and it would be a good idea to disable it completely if you encounter this problem when using Discord. Many users have confirmed that simply disabling Discord Overlay solved their problem!
- Open Discord by double-clicking on the desktop shortcut or by searching the Start menu and clicking on the result that appears.
- When the Start Discord menu opens, go to the bottom left of the window and look for the gear icon next to your username. When you hover your cursor over it, it should say “User Settings.”
- Click the Overlay tab in the Settings section of the Custom Settings application and drag the slider to the left of the “Enable Game Overlay” option. Apply the changes and make sure Discord now works after you open the game!
Discord as administrator
Running Discord with administrator rights can solve the problem if you have sound or microphone problems, as it will give better access to sound devices and will give priority to the Discord executable when asked for access to the speaker and microphone. Be sure to follow these steps to grant Discord executable administrative rights.
- Locate the Discord shortcut or .exe file on your computer and open the properties by right-clicking on the entry either on the desktop, in the Start menu, or in the search results window and selecting Properties from the context menu.
- In the Properties window, go to the Compatibility tab and check the box next to “Run this program as an administrator” before saving your changes by clicking OK or Apply.
- Be sure to confirm any messages that appear asking you to confirm the selection with administrator privileges, and Discord should start with administrator privileges the next time you run it.
Updating audio device drivers
Updating the driver is a great way to solve many audio-related problems, and this problem is no exception.
If none of the above methods can help, uninstalling the current driver and replacing it with another should solve the problem. Perform the following steps!
- Click on the “Start” menu at the bottom left of the screen, then type “Device Manager” and select it from the list of available results by simply clicking on the first entry.
- You can also press the Windows + R key combination to bring up the “Run” dialog box. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the dialog box and click OK to run it.
- Since you want to update the drivers for your audio devices, expand the sound, video, and game controllers. Right-click on each item in the list and select Update Drivers from the context menu.
- In the new window, select Automatically check for updated drivers and wait to see if the utility can find newer drivers. Repeat the same process for all the devices.
- Make sure that Discord works correctly in the game again!
Deactivate antivirus program
Antivirus programs protect computers from all kinds of threats that can harm your computer, but sometimes they prevent certain applications from working properly. To find out if this is causing the problem, try temporarily disabling the antivirus program.
Follow these steps for Windows Defender :
- Click the Start button located in the lower-left corner.
- Click Settings. The gear-like icon will open the Windows settings panel.
- Open Update and Security
- In the left pane, click Windows Security.
- Click Firewall and Network Protection. Firewall and Network Protection are located under Protected Zones.
- Find your active profile and click on it
- Disable the Microsoft Defender firewall.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the audio discord keeps disappearing, it means that you will not be able to communicate effectively with your teammates. To solve this problem, you need to update your Windows 10 audio drivers, restart the Discord app, and make sure the servers are active and working.
One of the most common solutions to the problem of not being able to hear Discord has to do with hardware compatibility. Sometimes hardware components are incompatible with your current Discord audio system. Simply go back to your old audio subsystem to fix the problem.
Make sure you select the correct "Voice Transfer Type." If you are using "Push to Talk", make sure that your voice button is properly linked to the right "Mute Hotkey Assigned as". If it doesn't work in the game, the problem is probably that the microphone input is switched when you start the game.
If you find that disk overlay is not working, you need to check if the game has the "Disk Overlay" option enabled.
Step 1: Open the section and click on the Settings icon.
Step 2: On the left pane, click the Overlay button. Make sure that the radio button next to "Enable In-Game Overlay" is checked.