Not being able to check your email can be incredibly frustrating. This guide will help you troubleshoot common causes of problems with Windows Mail apps in Windows 10 and get you back to communicating with everyone.
Many people have reported to us about their inability to send emails from the built-in Windows 10 Mail app. This can be a big problem for those who regularly receive and send emails. We know that affected users have been told that the system cannot send emails. Frankly, these problems aren’t always easy to fix but don’t worry, because we have the formula.
This guide will walk you through a series of troubleshooting steps. After each step, try opening Windows Mail and getting mail again. If the program opens and works, stop there, you don’t need to go any further.
Why can’t the Windows 10 Mail app send or receive mail?
- Many users have reported that the mail app is not working on their computers. According to them, the problem was caused by the location service. To solve this problem, you need to prevent Mail and Calendar from accessing your location. After disabling the location service of the Mail app, the problem should be completely resolved.
- A common reason is that it also happens when you can’t start the Mail app. According to users, the Mail app seems to crash as soon as users try to launch it.
Problems with the Mail App are common, but as usual, we have the juice on how to solve them so you don’t go crazy. Here are your options.
To solve a problem in which the Windows 10 Mail app does not send or receive emails
Check privacy settings
- Go to the Start menu and open the Settings app.
- Go to the Privacy section.
- Go to Calendar in the left pane.
- Select the Allow apps to access my calendar checkbox.
- Then under Select apps that can access your calendar, select the Mail checkbox.
Windows 10 is known as an operating system that collects a lot of information and data about you, even your personal data.
But it also gives you a wide range of privacy settings, as you can deny Microsoft access to almost any feature on the system. One of these features is also the Calendar app, which is closely related to the Mail app. Therefore, if you have blocked Microsoft access to the Calendar app, the Mail app will also stop working.
As you can guess, the solution to this problem is very simple: simply go to settings and disable Microsoft access to the Calendar app. Restart your computer and try running the Mail app again, and everything should work fine. If not, you can try the following solution.
Switch to a secure connection
- Open the Mail app.
- Click on the “Settings” icon in the lower-left corner.
- Go to account management.
- Click on your account and go to Change mailbox settings.
- Make sure the server requires an encrypted (SSL) connection and Email is checked under Sync Settings.
You might also consider switching to a specific email client that will cause you fewer problems.
If you’ve changed your privacy settings and everything else is fine, but you still can’t get mail to your inbox, try configuring the Mail app to use a secure connection.
Update the Mail app
If the mail app in Windows 10 isn’t working, you can fix the problem with a simple update. Many users have reported this problem, and according to them, updating the app to the latest version can fix the problem.
After updating the Mail App to the latest version, the problem should be solved and you can run the Mail App without any problems.
Installing Windows Updates
- Press the Windows + I key to open the Settings app.
- When the Settings app opens, go to Updates and Security.
- Now click the Check for Updates button.
To ensure the security and stability of your computer, you need to install Windows updates. According to users, they can solve this problem by simply installing the latest Windows updates.
By default, Windows 10 automatically installs updates in the background, but sometimes you might miss an important update.
Windows will now check for available updates. If updates are available, Windows will download them in the background and install them when you restart your computer. Several users have reported that installing the latest updates solved the Mail App problem, so feel free to give it a try.
Disable sync settings
- Open the Settings app.
- Now go to Accounts.
- In the left menu, select Sync Settings.
- In the right pane, find the sync settings and turn them off.
If the Mail app doesn’t work on your Windows 10 computer, you can fix the problem by turning off the sync settings. After disabling the sync settings, you need to restart your computer to apply the changes.
After restarting your computer, the problem should be resolved. If everything works fine, you can re-enable the synchronization settings if you want.
Change your location settings
- Press the Windows + S key and open Control Panel.
- Now select Control Panel from the list of results.
- When the Control Panel opens, select Region.
- The Region window opens.
- Click the Location tab and set the original location to your country.
- Now go to the Administration tab and click on Change System Location.
- Select your country from the Current System Locale menu and click OK to save your changes.
According to users, you can solve the problem with the Mail app simply by changing your location settings. Some users have reported that the Mail app doesn’t work for them on Windows 10, but after changing the location settings, the problem has been completely resolved.
After changing the system’s regional settings, make sure that the problem still occurs in the Mail app. Several users have reported that changing the locale fixed the problem for them, so give it a try. Some users also suggest disabling and disabling Sync Settings.
Using the command line and PowerShell
- Press the Windows + X key to open the Win + X menu.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
- If you don’t have a command line, you can use PowerShell (Admin) instead.
- When the command prompt opens, type that line and press Enter to run it.
cfc / scans.
- The scanning will begin. The SFC scan may take 10-15 minutes, so be patient and don’t interrupt it.
After the SFC scan is complete, check to see if the problem is resolved. If the SFC scan does not solve the problem, or if you cannot run the SFC scan at all, you should use the DISM scan instead.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Run the command line as an administrator.
- When the command prompt opens, type the following line and press Enter to run it.
dismount/clear image/restore health
- The DISM scan will now begin. Note that this scan can take anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes, so do not interrupt it.
Once the DISM scan is complete, check to see if the problem persists. If you were unable to perform an SFC scan before, be sure to perform one after the DISM scan. Now check to see if the problem has occurred.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the Mail app doesn't work on your Windows 10 computer, you may be able to fix the problem simply by disabling the sync settings. After disabling the sync settings, simply reboot your computer to apply the changes. After restarting your computer, the problem should be resolved.
- Open the settings.
- Click on Apps.
- Click on Apps and features.
- Select the Mail and Calendar app from the list.
- Click the Advanced Settings link. The link to Advanced settings for the Mail app.
- Click the Reset button. Reset the Mail App in Windows 10.
- Click the Reset button again to confirm.
One possible reason for this problem is an outdated or corrupted app. It could also be due to a server-related problem. To resolve the problem with the Mail application, we recommend that you perform the following steps: Make sure that the date and time settings on your device are correct.
Press the Windows key. Type "Microsoft Store App" or find it in the list of apps and launch the app. Find "Mail and Calendar" and select "Update." After you update the app, you can add additional accounts or update existing ones.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.