Sometimes Vortex modes fail to deploy for some reason. If you are using Vortex and unfortunately encounter this problem, you have come to the right place. In this article, Techquack presents effective solutions to Vortex deployment failure.
Vortex is the new state-of-the-art mod manager from Nexus Mods. Like other module managers, it allows users to easily find, download, install and manage modules. Even for modding veterans, it offers plenty of control.
But unfortunately, some users encounter the “Vortex deployment failed” problem when trying to install mods for the game. This error can occur when changing mod settings in Vortex or when first setting up Vortex and the reasons may be different in each case.
If your Vortex mods won’t deploy, don’t panic. Here are some solutions that can help you get rid of this problem. Let’s get down to troubleshooting.
What is the cause of ‘Vortex Deployment Failed’?
Many reasons can cause a “Deployment Failed” error in Vortex. Listed below are some of the most common causes.
- Damaged JSON deployment file
- Damaged installation of WinRAR application
- If the mod folder is not on the same drive as the game.
- Vortex is not up to date.
We will show you the solutions to the above problems one by one. Analyze all the solutions and see which one suits you best.
How to solve the Vortex deployment failure problem
Delete the Vortex deployment JSON file
The JSON deployment file is necessary for the Vortex mod manager to work. You may encounter the error under discussion if the specified JSON file is corrupted. In this context, deleting the JSON file may solve the problem.
- Drop the game and vortex. Also, check that no processes related to the game/Vortex are running in the Task Manager.
- Open the Vortex installation directory and go to the Data folder.
- Now save the following file:
- Then delete the specified JSON file. Don’t worry, the file will be re-created when you restart the module manager.
- Now try to deploy Vortex again to see if the problem is solved.
Updating Vortex to the latest version
Vortex is updated to improve performance by fixing known bugs and saturating them with technological advances. This bug may occur if you are using an outdated version of Vortex. In this context, updating Vortex to the latest version may solve the problem.
- Open the Mod Manager menu and click on Settings in the left tab of the window.
- Then go to the Vortex tab and check if No automatic update is selected in the Updates drop-down menu (Vortex will update automatically if Stable or Testing is selected).
- If so, click the Check Now button to check if you have the latest version of Vortex.
- After updating Vortex, check to see if the deployment bug has been fixed.
Move the mod folder to the game’s hard drive
For Vortex to work, the mod folder must be on the same drive as the game itself. The current error may occur if the mod folder is in a different location. In this case, you can solve the problem by moving the folder with the mod to the installation disk of the game.
- Create a new folder where you want to move the mod folder (on the drive where the game is already installed).
- Now open the mod manager settings and go to the Mods tab.
- Then change the base path to the location of the mod preparation folder (created in step 1).
- Then move all the mods to the correct locations using the hard links deployment.
- Now check if you can successfully deploy Vortex.
Canceling a Vortex installation
If the problem occurred after a recent Vortex update, canceling the faulty update may solve the problem. Be careful not to try to restore a version that has a warning that it cannot be restored.
- Open the Vortex download page and download a previous version of Vortex.
- Now run the downloaded file (you do not need to delete the current installation) and complete the installation process.
- Then try to deploy Vortex again to see if the problem has been solved.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Move the folder with the mod to the game's hard drive.
- Delete the JSON file.
- Reinstall WinRAR.
- Return or upgrade Vortex.
- Download/install Vortex.
- Configure Vortex.
- Add the mod to your game.
- Always read the full description of the file before installing it.
- Do one step at a time.
- Keep in mind the file requirements.
- Understand that modding can create incompatible save files.
The deployment method means how Vortex installs your mods so that they load when you start the game. When you add a supported game to Vortex, Vortex automatically chooses the best deployment method for your game and system. It is not recommended that you change the deployment method.
Delete the "Vortex" folder. You can also look in the "My Games" folder in the Documents and see if there's anything you need to delete there. Install Vortex in its place.