If your Twitch chat doesn’t load, there may be several reasons. It could be due to third-party extensions installed in your browser, browser cache, proxy settings, etc. This problem occurs when Twitch cannot connect to the IRC channel due to interference from one of the extensions, a weak internet connection, or, in some cases, limitations imposed by your proxy configuration.
In some cases, the problem may arise when you try to broadcast on Twitch while connected to a restricted network. A restricted network means that it has firewalls in place and does not allow connections through the various ports that are commonly used by third-party services such as Twitch. This could be your workplace, your university, or another location. If you encounter the same problem elsewhere, the solutions below will surely help you solve the problem. But first, let’s take a closer look at the causes of the problem.
What is the cause of Twitch chat not showing up?
Browser extensions: Another reason for the problem could be third-party extensions installed in your browser, including Adblock. These extensions usually prevent the execution of scripts that they recognize as ads, so some websites don’t work correctly.
The page script was not executed: This is the first probable cause of the above problem. Sometimes the scripts required to get an IRC session don’t run correctly or stop by mistake. If you refresh the tab, the problem is usually solved.
Proxy settings: Proxy configuration can cause different problems in different scenarios. In this case, the problem occurs when the remote host cannot be resolved due to various restrictions imposed by the proxy settings.
Browser cache: The browser cache stores the websites that you visit most often. However, a corrupted browser cache usually causes various problems when using various Web sites. Clearing the cache usually solves several problems.
How to resolve a situation where Twitch chat is not displayed?
Clear the cache
- Click on the menu icon in the upper right corner and select Settings from the menu.
- When the Settings tab is open, scroll to the bottom of the page and click More.
- Tap Clear navigation data.
- Make sure you set the time range to All Hours. Now click Clear Data to clear the cache.
- After clearing the cache, check to see if the Twitch chat problem persists.
Disable proxy server
- Open the Settings app. You can do this quickly by pressing Windows + I.
- When the Settings app is open, go to Network and Internet.
- In the left pane, select Proxy. Make sure you uncheck all the options in the right pane.
- After disabling the proxy server, check to see if the problem persists.
Try using incognito mode
- Click on the menu icon in the upper right corner.
- Select New Incognito Window from the menu.
- Once the new window appears, open Twitch in it and see if the Twitch chat problem persists.
- If it is not, the problem is in the cache or extensions.
Disable browser extensions
- Click on the menu icon in the top right corner and select Other Tools > Extensions.
- A list of installed extensions will be displayed in a new tab.
- Click on the small button next to the name of the extension to deactivate it.
- Do this for all extensions in the list.
- After deactivating all the extensions, you need to restart Chrome.
- After restarting Chrome, check if the problem persists.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you click the radio button next to "Enable Chat," the chat module will appear on your channel page. If you click on the "Settings" link to the right of the "Moderators" field, you can add users who can act as moderators of your channel's chat.
If a user resizes the window so that Twitch hides the chat, they will not be able to display it again without resizing the window enough for Twitch to display the "Expand" control on the side of the page to re-display the chat.
This issue may be caused by extensions and cache. To solve the problem, you need to clear your cache and disable extensions. To solve the problem, disable AdBlock or add Twitch to your exclusion list.
- Open the Twitch app.
- Locate the stream you want to watch.
- Click on the video stream.
- Click the Hide Chat button.