- Microsoft regularly releases new feature updates for the Windows 10 operating system.
- These updates are very important and bring many new features, fixes, and improvements to Windows 10.
- When installing a feature update in Windows 10, computers may not receive the latest driver updates.
- This problem occurs because the latest updates and drivers may not be available from the intranet location.
It is important to keep up to date with these updates because they install the latest version of Windows 10 on your computer. Microsoft releases new feature updates for Windows 10 on a regular basis. You should update your operating system with these new features if necessary. They bring many new features, fixes, and improvements to Windows 10.
Windows Server Update Services Windows 10
Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) is installed as a server role on Windows Server 2016. To be able to install Windows 10 updates, including upgrades such as the Anniversary Update (Redstone 1, Windows 10 v1607), you also need to complete some settings in the WSUS management console. Additionally, you need to add the new Group Policy templates (ADMX files) for Windows 10 v1607  to your network. These are available for Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016. The new ADMX files provide far more setting options than the default options in Windows Server 2016.
You can find this article helpful if you have tried to install feature updates on Windows 10 devices that are pointing to an intranet location, but were unable to do so. You can try to solve this problem by identifying the possible causes and suggesting suitable solutions.
What is the reason why the feature update is not installed on Windows 10 devices that point to an intranet location
You can set different settings for different apps by switching between them individually. Each app can be configured with different settings. They include volume, orientation, network conditions, Bluetooth connection, screen brightness, awake screen, and so on.
A computer pointing to an intranet location may not receive the most recent driver updates when installing a feature update in Windows 10:
It connects computers and displays via USB, Ethernet and WiFi with DisplayLink for USB Displays (DisplayLink USB graphics technology). All versions of Windows 10 – Intel and AMD processors) are compatible with DisplayLink technology, which allows you to connect multiple displays to one computer.
In spring and fall, Windows 10 features updates are released (roughly every six months). They are new versions of the operating system.
This problem occurs because the intranet location may be unavailable to install the latest updates and drivers for the above device when Windows 10 computers do not receive driver updates.
This Update Is Not Applicable To Your Computer
Go to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates and search there for KB4474419. When searching, enter the full KB number in the search box (e.g., enter KB4474419 and not a partial string like 4474419). I’m not sure about Win 7 SP1, but searches for KB numbers at Windows Update at Control Panel | Windows Update | View Installed Updates never worked correctly on my old Vista SP2 machine (and wouldn’t list any update manually installed with a standalone .exe or .msu installer) so I always searched at Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates.
In order to ensure that Windows 10 devices that point to an intranet location receive updates and drivers directly from Windows Update and not from an intranet location during the installation or update process, try one of the three solutions outlined below. To simplify the user experience and reduce errors and other update-related issues, ensure that devices receive the latest updates and drivers from Windows Update rather than from an intranet location during the installation or update process.
To diagnose the feature Update is not installed on Windows 10 devices specifying an intranet location
Use SCCM to configure OSD to deploy the update
In this case, Windows 10 devices that point to an intranet location need to be configured with System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) for OSD deployments to resolve the issue.
When installing devices through the OSD, ConfigMgr can override group policy settings and direct them to Windows Update.
Windows Updates Registry Settings
The first part of the process is to connect your PC to your WSUS server or to a specific group, but this is only half of the process. In order for Windows Update to install the updates, an update agent is used. The automatic update agent is controlled by a number of registry keys located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Windows/WindowsUpdate/AU.
Steps for enabling this feature are as follows:
- You will then be able to edit the task sequence.
- In the figure above, you can see that the Dynamically update Windows configuration with Windows Update checkbox has been selected.
- Ensure that the changes you made are saved by clicking Apply – > OK.
Configure your Windows 10 devices to receive updates directly from Windows Update
It is possible to update Windows 10 devices directly from Windows Update, in order to resolve the problem of being unable to install feature updates on intranet-facing devices. How do you do this?
- Make sure your computers are updated or installed.
- In order to ensure that the devices receive updates directly from Windows Update, run the following Windows PowerShell script.
- In the event the policy is not reapplied, the computers will no longer receive updates via WSUS, but instead from WU.
- MU/WU switch.
HKLM:softwarepoliciesmicrosoftwindowsupdate if (test path)
Delete the Windows update policy found in Create-LogEntry.
In the HKLM file, delete-item -Force -Recurse:softwarepoliciesmicrosoftwindowsupdate
wuauserv is the name of the service that should be started
- You can now find new drivers in Windows Update by going to Settings – Update and Security – Windows Update – Check Update.
- For the above PowerShell script to work, run the following command after all devices have been updated with the latest drivers.
- GP update/power supply
Manually download and install the latest drivers
When Windows 10 devices are pointing to an intranet location, feature updates are not installed. For this solution, you will have to manually download and install the latest drivers after the installation or update is complete.
It is possible to download drivers via Device Manager or by visiting the website of the device manufacturer.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix the fact that Windows 10 doesn’t install updates?
- Make sure you have enough memory on your device.
- Run the Windows update multiple times.
- Check for third-party drivers and download any updates.
- Disable any additional hardware.
- Check for errors in the device manager.
- Remove third-party security software.
- Recover hard drive errors.
- Perform a clean restart in Windows.
How do I fix the fact that Windows Update Standalone Installer does not apply the update to this computer?
- Make sure that the service pack matches your version of Windows.
- Make sure that the service pack matches the Windows processor architecture.
- Check the update history.
- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- Update Windows 10 with the latest KB update.
Why won’t Windows 10 updates install?
If the installation is stuck at the same percentage, try checking again for updates or run Windows Update Troubleshooter. To check for updates, go to Start -> Settings -> Updates and security -> Windows Update -> Check for updates.
Why can’t I install some Windows Updates?
Insufficient disk space is a common cause of crashes. If you need help freeing up space, check out the Tips for Freeing Up Space on Your PC. The steps in this guide will help you solve all Windows upgrade errors and other problems. You don't need to look for a specific error to solve it.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.