If you’re getting error 0x800704c7 when trying to install a feature update in Windows 10, you’re in the right place. We’ll show you how to fix this error with several methods that may not work for everyone. Fixing this error will allow you to update Windows 10 to the latest version and make sure your PC is running optimally.
It’s also necessary to update Windows 10 because hackers are constantly releasing new malware that exploits security holes and vulnerabilities to infect your PC. So let’s take a look at what we are dealing with.
Users have reported that error 0x800704c7 appears one day without warning. Most of the time the error occurs when Windows is busy installing updates, but it can occur under other circumstances as well. We found that error 0x800704c7 can occur when trying to access Microsoft OneDrive or when backing up Windows files.
In this article by Techquack, we will discuss some causes of error 0x800704c7 and offer some practical solutions to fix it.
What is the cause of Windows Update error 0x800704c7
Error 0x800704c7 is caused by missing/damaged files or background processes that conflict with the update, preventing you from getting the latest update.
Sometimes this Windows 10 error occurs when trying to install certain updates using the Windows Update feature. Patches released by Microsoft are necessary, and your system depends on them. However, such errors may prevent you from accessing the update.
The secondary reason why you get this error may be due to third-party applications, including anti-virus programs that often block the Internet connection of programs that they consider a threat.
Please note that this error code is also used in Windows 7 and Windows 8. Therefore, you may encounter a similar problem if you are using one of these older operating systems. Before you try any of our solutions, you should first check if your antivirus application gives you false positives, i.e. it detects clean files as malicious and does not allow them to start and go online.
How to fix Windows Update error 0x800704c7
Use SFC or DISM to restore corrupted system files
Damaged Windows system files can be one of the causes of error 0x800704c7. In this case, you can use two command-line utilities – SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) to restore Windows system files.
SFC is a tool that can scan your system and restore all corrupted files. However, if SFC cannot find errors, DISM can help you with this task. It will perform a thorough analysis of your system and restore damaged files. Here’s how to use SFC to recover corrupt system files:
- Enter the command line at the search bar and click Run as administrator.
- Enter the following command and press Enter. The SFC tool will then detect and repair the error.
sfc / scan now.
Wait for it
If your update hangs after reaching a certain percentage, this method may work for you. Sometimes the update is delayed on the server-side because it takes a while.
So if your update is stuck, you don’t need to do anything, just wait a few hours. If the update wizard is still not working, you can try the solutions listed below.
Restore your system
If you encounter error code 0x800704c7 after installing software or making other changes, you can use the system restore feature. This will restore your system to the point where the error did not occur. Follow these steps:
- From the Start menu, find and open the Control Panel.
- Then go to the Recovery section and click on it.
- In this interface, please select Open System Restore to continue.
- In the Restore System Files and Settings interface, please click Next to continue.
- Select the time required to restore your computer to the state it was in when the selected event occurred, and then click Next to continue.
- You must confirm the restore point and click Finish.
Once the system restores process is complete, you can restore your computer to its previous state. The system restores point can also help you solve some system issues or other problems. After that, you can check if the error code 0x800704c7 is fixed.
Disable antivirus program
Although third-party antivirus programs can help you protect your computer, they have some drawbacks. Most importantly, they can block or disrupt your system to some degree. As a result of this interference, you will encounter error code 0x800704c7.
Therefore, you should make sure that you have disabled your third-party antivirus program. After disabling antivirus, restart your computer and try to see if the Windows Update error “0x800704c7” has disappeared.
Download the latest KB
If the error persists, you can also try to download the latest KB. Do the following:
- Press the Windows + I key to open the Settings app.
- Go to “Updates and Security” and click on it.
- On the right sidebar, you need to click on View update history in the Windows Update section.
- Then find the latest KB and copy the KB code. Go to Microsoft’s update site and find the KB code.
- Download it for your particular Windows.
Once the download is complete, open it and install it. After that, you can check if the problem is fixed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Error 0x800704c7 is caused by missing/damaged files or background processes that conflict with the update, so you cannot get the latest update. Sometimes this Windows 1o error appears when you try to install certain updates using the Windows Update feature.
- Access the Windows Update catalog. To access the Windows Update catalog, visit the following Microsoft website.
- Search for updates in the Windows Update catalog.
- Download updates.
It means that the Windows Update process is preparing to install the update, and all prerequisites have been met.
- Click on "Control Panel.
- Open "Date and Time
- Click on "Change the date and time" and make adjustments if necessary.
- Set your time zone before clicking "OK."
- Click the "Internet Time" tab before selecting "Change Settings."