If you can’t download or install anti-virus software or a Microsoft security scanner, it’s possible that your Windows 10/8/7 computer is infected with malware that is blocking the download of security software.
In today’s internet world, it is very dangerous to operate your computer without any protection. That’s why people install antivirus software to make their computers as safe as possible. But a new operating system always brings some problems and this time Windows 10 has caused problems for some users while installing antivirus software.
What is the reason for not being able to download or install antivirus software on Windows 10?
Many users have indicated that they cannot install antivirus software on their Windows 10 PC. When asked about antivirus software, users reported the following issues:
- Not being able to install antivirus software on Windows 10: According to users, some of them can’t install antivirus software on their Windows 10 PC. This can happen if your antivirus is not compatible with Windows 10.
- The virus blocks antivirus installation: Sometimes malware can prevent antivirus installation. To fix this, you need to back up your drive on another PC and use it to remove the malware.
- Antivirus will not install: In some cases, your antivirus will not install due to a corrupted file. However, you can solve the problem by performing a DISM and SFC scan.
- Your computer won’t allow an antivirus program to be installed: In some cases, your computer won’t allow an antivirus program to be installed. This may be due to some third-party applications, so you should take care to remove them.
To solve the “Cannot download or install antivirus software” problem on Windows 10
Uninstall other security and antivirus programs
If you can’t install antivirus software on Windows 10, you have another security tool installed on your Windows 10 system.
Two antivirus apps don’t work well together, so you need to uninstall the other antivirus app before trying to install the new one. To uninstall the other antivirus application, follow these steps:
- Click the Windows icon
- Type Control Panel, then press the Enter key.
- Click on Programs and Features
- Select the antivirus program, right-click on it and select the “Uninstall” button.
This will remove the antivirus program from your computer and allow you to reinstall the antivirus program you want.
Disabling Windows Defender
Windows Defender is a well-known computer security application, it is a built-in Microsoft security tool that protects Windows 10 when no other antivirus is installed on your system.
This software should not cause problems with your third-party antivirus, but it is possible that some features of your antivirus may conflict with Windows Defender.
Therefore, try disabling Windows Defender by following these steps:
- Press the Windows key.
- Go to settings.
- Select the Update and Security section.
- Click Windows Security, and then click Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Select the “Viruses and Threats Protection Settings” option.
- Turn off real-time protection right now
After completing the steps above, Windows Defender is disabled. Now try to install an antivirus program for Windows 10 and make sure that the installation is possible.
Make sure that the antivirus program you want to install is compatible with Windows 10
Windows 10 is the newest operating system, so there are many antivirus programs that are not compatible with this operating system. So you should make sure that your antivirus program is compatible or not compatible with Windows 10. Visit the official page of your antivirus software and check the compatibility section.
Running the CFS command
Another reason why you can’t install antivirus on Windows 10 is that your system files are missing or corrupt. Therefore, it is recommended that you run the SFC command on your system, then try to install the antivirus and see if it helps solve the problem or not. Follow the instructions to perform the scan:
- Press the Windows key.
- Type cmd, right-click on the command prompt, and select Run as administrator.
- In the command prompt window, type the following command and press Enter
sfc / scan now.
The scanning process will take some time, so please be patient and wait for the scanning process.
Once the process is complete, restart Windows and try to install the antivirus software on your system to see if it is installed or not.
Try to get a good start.
Any third-party apps or programs can interfere with your antivirus software and you won’t be able to install antivirus software on Windows 10. Performing a clean boot can help you get rid of this problem.
Here are the steps to performing a clean boot:
- Press Windows + R.
- Type msconfig and click OK.
- In the System Configuration window, click the Services tab.
- Check the Hide all Microsoft services checkbox and click Disable all.
- Now click the Launch tab and open the Task Manager.
- A list of running applications will appear, click them one by one and select the Disable option.
- Close the Task Manager, click “Apply” and then click “OK”.
Now try to install the antivirus software.
Delete temporary files
The problem of “Antivirus not installing on Windows 10” is seen in many users, and one of the reasons is that your system has a lot of temporary files that need to be deleted.
Deleting the temporary files frees up disk space to install antivirus on your Windows operating system. So try deleting temporary files from your PC using CCleaner.
This will easily remove all temporary files, unwanted files, and browsing history.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Make sure that no other antivirus program is installed.
- Remove problem requests.
- Clean your computer with a Windows optimizer.
- Disable Windows Defender.
- Check if your antivirus program is compatible with Windows 10.
- Perform an SFC scan.
To access these settings, open the Start menu and select Settings. Select the "Update and Security" category and select Windows Defender. By default, Windows Defender automatically turns on real-time protection, cloud protection, and template sending.
Don't worry, this problem can easily be solved by making simple changes to your Windows settings. First, make sure that you are logged in to Windows as an administrator, click the Start button, and then select Settings. Under Settings, find Update and Security and click on it.
Whether you've recently upgraded to Windows 10 or are thinking about doing so, a good question to ask yourself is, "Do I need antivirus software? Well, technically, no. Microsoft has already integrated Windows Defender, legitimate anti-virus protection, into Windows 10. However, not all antivirus software is created equal.