The security of your computer should be a top priority because many people use their computers to store valuable information such as credit card numbers, PayPal login information, business information, etc. Losing data due to a virus attack is not something you want, but such incidents are real and can affect everyone.
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) is a tool that you can download from the Internet and use to fight infections caused by malicious applications. The full version of the tool is not free, but you can always download a free trial version, which should help you fight the threat.
However, several users have reported that the tool no longer works properly. When users click on the icon, the circle starts spinning and after a while, the error message “Cannot start. The service cannot be connected.” This can be a big problem, especially if you need the tool urgently. Find out what the cause is and how you can solve this problem.
What causes the “Malwarebytes cannot connect service” message?
- Installation error
- Other technical issues
- Problems related to lack of context
However, malware infection is one of the most common reasons why Malwarebytes cannot connect to a service. Undoubtedly, applications installed on infected systems can be affected by malware and other malicious infections, including anti-virus and Internet security programs. Malwarebytes is no exception.
How to fix “Malwarebytes can’t connect service”?
Change the startup type of the Malwarebytes service
- Press the Windows+R key.
- Type services.MSC.
- Find the Malwarebytes services entry.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- In the window, change the startup mode from Manual to Automatic.
- If the program still fails to start, restart your computer.
- Open the local drive, then go to Programs.
- Go to the Malwarebytes, Anti-Malware folder, and run mbam.exe.
Starting Windows in Safe Mode
- Press Windows+R. Type MSConfig.
- Go to the Boot section and check the Safe boot option.
- After restarting the machine and completing the task, exit the mode in the same way.
- Run the System Configuration Utility and uncheck the Safe boot option.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Press Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type services.MSC and click OK.
- Find the Windows Management Toolbox in the list.
- Right-click it and select Start.
- Then reinstall the latest version of Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes works through the services it installs on your computer, and this particular message means that the program is having trouble connecting to those services.
Problems can be due to installation errors or technical issues. The most common reason for Malwarebytes not opening can be a malware infection. Some malware can easily affect the applications installed on your system.