It’s very annoying when you get the error message “‘DirectX Encountered an Unrecoverable Error'” when launching a game like Call of Duty. But don’t worry. The problem can be solved, just follow the instructions below.
‘DirectX Encountered an Unrecoverable Error’ is a fatal error related to DirectX on your computer. Probably, your computer doesn’t meet the requirements to play this game, for example, because your DirectX version doesn’t meet the requirements.
There are several reasons for the “DirectX Encountered an Undetectable Error” error.
What is the cause of “DirectX Encountered an Unrecoverable Error” in Windows 10
After analyzing several user reports and combining the results, we came to the conclusion that the problem is caused by various reasons, from hardware problems to software problems. Some of them include the following:
Damaged graphics drivers: graphics drivers are the main components that transfer information between the operating system and the hardware. When the graphics drivers themselves are damaged and not working, many problems occur, including the one described here.
Outdated Game: Some users have encountered this error message when their computer has not had the latest version of the game installed. Updating the game to the latest version or patch can solve the problem right away.
Outdated DirectX: DirectX may be installed on your computer and working properly, but it may be outdated. Updating to the latest version may help.
Incomplete requirements: In some cases that we have encountered, we have found that users have incomplete requirements for the game on their computers. If the DirectX requirements are not met, you may see an error message.
Advanced graphics settings: Some graphics cards allow users to set advanced options, such as shadow quality, to their liking, but as has been shown, this can cause problems with DirectX. Disabling these options may be the right solution for you.
Screen Scaling: Screen Scaling is a Windows feature that allows you to control the size of your screen. Despite its usefulness, it has been known to cause problems with DirectX components. Make sure you’re logged in as an administrator and have an active Internet connection before proceeding with the solutions, as we’ll be updating a number of different components.
How to fix “DirectX Encountered an Unrecoverable Error” in Windows 10
Adjusting Display Scale
- In Windows 10, you can adjust the dots per inch (DPI) settings by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting “Display Settings.”
- Click Custom Scale to enter a custom DPI scale value.
- Enter 100 in the text box if it is not your current DPI scale value, then click Apply.
- Then click Exit to apply the custom scale factor.
- In Windows 8, drag the slider on the DPI scale bar to the left.
Reinstall the video card driver
- First, press Win + R to open Run.
- Type dxdiag to open the DirectX diagnostic tool.
- Notice the video card and manufacturer information on the Display tab.
- Note whether it is a 32- or 64-bit operating system.
- Open the video card manufacturer’s website and click on the hyperlink to the drivers or download center.
- Enter your video card in the search box.
- Select that you want to download the latest video card driver that is compatible with your Windows platform.
- Then press Win + X; and from the Win + X menu, select Device Manager.
- Double-click Display Adapters and right-click on the specified video card to open its context menu.
- Select Uninstall Device from the context menu.
- Check the “Remove driver settings for this device” checkbox, and then click the Uninstall button.
- Then restart the Windows operating system.
- Click Cancel when a window appears prompting you to detect the video card driver.
- Then install the downloaded video card driver by selecting its installer in File Explorer.
- You may have to unzip the zip folder first.
- First, open the registry editor by pressing the Win + R key combination and typing Regedit in “Run”.
- In the “Run” window, click OK to open the registry editor.
- Navigate to this registry location:
- Click File -> Export, enter a file name, and then click Save to save the selected registry branch.
- Right-click the text/xml, select Delete and confirm with Yes.
- Then close the registry editor.
Check the system requirements of the DirectX game
- First of all, open the game’s page in Steam. You can also open the game’s page on the publisher’s website.
- The DirectX system requirements for the game can be found at the bottom of the Steam page.
- Click on the link to the system requirements page on the publisher’s website.
- Then press Win + R to open Run.
- Type dxdiag in the text box and click OK.
- You have now opened the DirectX diagnostic tool, which shows the DX version of your laptop or desktop computer in the System tab.
The DirectX unrecoverable error most likely occurs if your version of DirectX does not meet the minimum system requirements of DX for the game.
In this article, we have covered all the effective ways and solutions you can use to get rid of “DirectX Encountered an Unrecoverable Error”. We briefly discussed the possible causes of this error. We hope that you have corrected this error.
Frequently Asked Questions
DirectX has detected an unrecoverable error related to DirectX on your computer. It is possible that your computer does not meet the requirements to play this game, for example, your DirectX version is lower than required.
- Restart the game and the launcher.
- Reboot your computer.
- Use the scan and repair in the Blizzard app.
- Keep your software and drivers up to date.
- Run the game in DirectX11 mode.
- Reinstall the GPU drivers.
- Clear the COD cache.
- Close other applications while the game is running.
How to fix “DirectX encountered an unrecoverable error. Check the readme file for possible solutions”?
- Update the game and Windows.
- Install the latest version of DirectX.
- Update the graphics driver.
- Adjust your display scaling settings.
- Modify your registry.
- Reinstall your graphics card driver.
- Check the system requirements of the DirectX game.
- Adjust your display's scale.
- Edit your registry.