The Dead by Daylight (DBD) game keeps crashing at startup or closing on your desktop when you’re in the middle of a game?
It’s extremely frustrating, and you’re certainly not alone. Many players report this ‘Dead by Daylight Crashes’ problem, but the good news is that you can fix it. Below is a list of causes and workarounds prepared by Techquack that have proven helpful to many players.
Why does Dead by Daylight Crash on Windows 10?
Many different reasons can cause a game to crash, and Dead by Daylight is no exception. However, it wouldn’t hurt to read the list of possible causes that we have compiled, as it will help you narrow down the possible scenarios of your problem. Check out the full list below.
Overlays: Users report that NVIDIA and Steam overlays cause instability and glitches in the game. Try disabling them while the game is running and see if the glitches stop.
Old or faulty drivers: The drivers installed on your computer are the most common culprit for this problem. You may need to update them or revert to an earlier version to resolve the crash.
FPS Lock: The frame rate in the game cannot exceed 70 frames per second. Unlocking the frame rate by changing configuration files can also prevent the game from crashing.
No Administrator Rights: Normally, games should run without administrator rights on their executable files. However, players report that granting these permissions is a good way to deal with crashes, so feel free to give it a try.
Missing or corrupted game files: If this is the real cause of the crash, checking the integrity of the game files will help you solve the problem quickly. This is a great Steam feature that has helped many players solve this problem.
How to fix the Dead by Daylight Crashes in Windows 10
Disable the Steam Overlay
Dead by Daylight players report that Steam overlay can cause instability and glitches in the game. Therefore, follow the guide below to see if this is the problem you are experiencing.
- Start Steam on your computer.
- In the Steam window, click the LIBRARY tab.
- Find Dead by Daylight in the list of games, then right-click on it and select Properties.
- On the General tab of the Properties window, uncheck the “Enable Steam in-game overlay” box.
Update your video card drivers
Outdated video card drivers can also cause Dead by Daylight to crash. Therefore, try to update these drivers.
- Open the Device Manager.
- Right-click the Windows icon on the taskbar.
- Select Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager window, expand the Display Adapters category.
- Then right-click on the specified video card and select Uninstall Device.
- Finally, click OK to confirm your changes.
- Go to the video card manufacturer’s website and check if there are new drivers for your operating system and configuration. If so, select the latest version to download.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to install the driver.
- Restart your computer after the installation is complete.
Run the game executable as an administrator.
Many users have solved this problem by assigning administrator privileges to the game executable. If the above solutions do not work, try the following.
- Right-click the game icon on your desktop and select Open File Location.
- Locate the executable file of the game in the Dead by Daylight folder.
- Then right-click on the file and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, click the “Compatibility” tab and select the “Run this program as an administrator” checkbox.
- Then click OK or Apply to save your changes.
- Now check if Dead by Daylight still crashes on your PC.
Check the integrity of the game files
As mentioned earlier, Dead by Daylight crashes if the game files are missing or corrupt. But don’t worry about that. These files can easily be restored and repaired when you install the game via Steam. You can find the instructions below.
- Start Steam on your computer.
- When Steam is open, go to the LIBRARY tab.
- Find Dead by Daylight in the list of games. Then right-click on the game and select Properties.
- In the game’s Properties window, click the LOCAL FILES tab.
- Then click on CHECK GAME FILES FOR INTEGRITY.
- Wait for Steam to finish checking the game files.
- After that, run the game again and make sure it works correctly.
Run the game in compatibility mode
Try running Dead by Daylight in compatibility mode to prevent the game from freezing.
- Right-click the Dead by Daylight icon on your desktop and select Properties.
- In the Dead by Daylight Properties window, switch to the Compatibility window.
- Then check the Run this program in compatibility mode box and select Windows 8 from the menu.
- Click OK to confirm your changes.
- Restart the game and see if it crashes again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Dead by Daylight crashes if the game files are missing or corrupted. But don't worry about that. These files are easy to repair and fix when you install the game via Steam.
If Dying Light keeps crashing as soon as you install the game, it could be due to outdated video card drivers. If the crashing problem only occurs after updating your graphics drivers, you should update them to the latest version.
One of the reasons could be insufficient memory or a weak chipset. Applications may also crash if they are not coded correctly. Sometimes the custom skin of your Android phone can also be the cause.
Dead by Daylight crash problem occurs when a certain game file is corrupt or missing. Try checking the integrity of the game files in Steam to see if this is the cause of your problem. Go to the LOCAL FILES tab, then click CHECK GAME FILES FOR INTEGRITY.