Risk of Rain 2 is a very popular game that you can download and play through Steam. Recently, some players have reported a bug: When they try to play multiplayer, the host bounces or has a bad connection, and the game eventually crashes. Several factors can cause this particular problem, and we’ve listed some common ways around this error.
Why does Risk of Rain 2 Multiplayer not work on Windows PC?
Many users have reported a problem when trying to play multiplayer. The host has a bad connection or quits the game, eventually causing it to crash. There are many reasons why the multiplayer mode of Risk of Rain 2 not working on Windows PC, and we will list the most common reasons:
The game is blocked by the Windows Defender firewall: It is possible that some aspects of the game’s connection to the Internet are blocked by the Windows Defender firewall, and you should consider making an exception for the game’s executable file.
Some game files are missing or corrupt: Various things can corrupt or delete game files, leading to similar problems. Luckily, Steam allows you to analyze the files and simply re-download them!
Game ports are blocked in your router: This is a more complicated problem, as your router may have assigned the same ports that your game uses for other purposes. Fortunately, this can be changed by forwarding those ports.
How to solve the ‘Risk of Rain 2 Multiplayer Not Working’ in Windows PC?
Check the integrity of your game files
If Risk of Rain 2 has stopped working, the first thing to do is to check the integrity of the game files. Simply follow the steps below:
- Start the Steam app on your computer.
- Go to the Library tab and search for Risk of Rain 2.
- Right-click the game icon and select Properties.
- Go to the Local Files section and click Check Game File Integrity.
- This tool will then start checking your game files and download any missing or corrupted files.
- When you restart the game, it should work normally in multiplayer mode.
Allow Risk of Rain 2 through the Windows Firewall
Sometimes the firewall blocks certain features of the game, resulting in Risk of Rain 2 multiplayer not working. To solve this problem, you need to allow the game through the Windows Firewall.
- In Windows, open the Control Panel and display all items as large icons.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall -> Allow application or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Change Settings and select the Public and Private checkboxes next to the Rainfall Risk 2 entries.
- Click OK.
Granting administrative permissions to Risk of Rain 2
One of the easiest solutions to the malfunctioning multiplayer game Risk of Rain 2 is to grant the game administrative permissions. To do this, do the following steps:
- Start Steam, right-click on that game, and select “Properties.”
- Go to Local Files -> Browse Local Files.
- Remember the location of the executable file for this game, navigate to that location, and right-click on the file to select Run as administrator.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Run Risk of Rain 2 as an administrator.
- Port forwarding.
- Allow Risk of Rain 2 to go through your firewall.
- Check your installation folder.
- Select Multiplayer from the menu.
- Join a multiplayer game.
- Get ready and play.
If Risk of Rain 2 has stopped working, the first thing to do is to check the integrity of your game files. Next, this tool will start checking your game files and download any missing or corrupted files. When you restart the game, it should work normally in multiplayer mode.
- Go to Start -> Search -> cmd and open a command prompt.
- At the command prompt, type "IP config" and find your local IP and write it down.
- Open Rain Risk.
- Ask your friends to join your game using "Start Online Co-op" and the local IP number we noted earlier.
- Play the game.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.