Error 0x80004005 is a type of unspecified Windows error code, commonly referred to as “Error code 0x80004005. Unspecified error.” Error 0x80004005 can be displayed separately or together with other error messages. Sometimes there is the additional text that can help you determine the cause of the problem.
What causes error code 0x80004005?
- System DLL files
- Problem with Windows errors
- Registry inconsistencies
- Context error messages
- B.S.O.D. error (blue screen of death)
- System crashes
- Defective Windows O.S. components.
- Registry errors or errors in configuration files.
How to resolve error code 0x80004005?
Launch the Windows Update troubleshooter
- Press Windows + I to open Settings, then go to Update and Security.
- Click Troubleshooting in the left navigation pane.
- In the Troubleshooting window, click Windows Update under Start and Run.
- Click Run Troubleshooting.
Properly starting Windows
- Type sysconfig in the Start menu search bar.
- In the search results, click System Configuration.
- In the System Configuration window, switch to the Services tab.
- Select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
- Now select all services in the list and click Disable All.
- Click OK and close System Configuration.
- Then press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC to launch Task Manager.
- Click the Autorun tab.
- Select each entry in the list of services and click Disable.
- Unlike the system configuration, you should disable services one at a time.
- Click OK and close Task Manager.
- Reboot your computer.
Re-register jscript.dll and vbscript.dll
- Type cmd in the search box of the Start menu.
- In the search results, right-click Command Prompt -> Run as administrator.
- In the console, type regsvr32 jscript.dll and press Enter.
- Then type regsvr32 vbscript.dll and press Enter.
- Close the command prompt and restart your computer.
Launch the SFC to scan corrupt system files
- Press the Windows + R key to run the Run application.
- Type cmd in the text box and press CTRL + SHIFT + Enter to run the command prompt as an administrator.
- In the command line console, type SFC /scannow and press Enter.
- SFC will automatically scan and restore your system files.
- Reboot your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Error 0x80004005 translates to unspecified error and usually occurs when a user cannot access shared folders, disks, virtual machines and Microsoft account changes and when Windows updates cannot be installed.
Unlike most other Windows errors, error 0x80004005 is an "unspecified error". This means that it can be caused by any number of reasons. Some of the most common causes of unspecified error 0x80004005 are problems with Windows Update, corrupted files and folders, and errors in extracting compressed files.
- Run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
- Delete everything in the Windows Update download folder.
- Run Windows Update.
- Delete the temporary files.
- Disable Outlook email notifications.
- Disable Windows Defender.
- Use another decompression program.
- Re-register the jdscript.
Mark Ginter is a tech blogger with a passion for all things gadgets and gizmos. A self-proclaimed "geek", Mark has been blogging about technology for over 15 years. His blog, techquack.com, covers a wide range of topics including new product releases, industry news, and tips and tricks for getting the most out of your devices. If you're looking for someone who can keep you up-to-date with all the latest tech news and developments, then be sure to follow him over at Microsoft.